none
Windows 10 Font Driver Host - Can't access linked fonts RRS feed

• Question

• With the latest update Windows 10 Font Driver Host seems to lack the ability to access linked fonts on a properly secured hard drive.

I recently re-installed Windows 10 on my machine (I did this dozens of times on the same machine using the same configuration, so there is no issue with the setup).

Whenever I now boot Windows 10, the fonts I installed are not available to my programs. None of the programs can display them. Yet, they are listed as available fonts in the font list (and in Windows Fonts Explorer), though.

Microsoft Office Word 2016 displays an error message claiming: "There is insufficient disk space or memory. Word cannot display the requested font." - This error message is a fraud, though.

Re-installing all my fonts (again: as linked fonts) remedies the problem for 1-2 reboots, but then, the next day, the same situation re-occurs again.

Here's what I found using SysInternals ProcMon:

The issue is based on the fact that the font driver ("fontdrvhost.exe") is a UMDF 2 driver.

My font files are residing on a write protected hard disk, granting these DACL rights:

• SYSTEM - full access
    • Administrators - read only
    • MyAccount - read only

The "fontdrvhost.exe" UMDF 2 driver accesses the linked font files using virtual LocalService accounts ("Font Driver Host\UMFD-*") that don't seem to have sufficient rights to access the font files the way they do:

I'm not able to grant access for the font files directories to these accounts on my Workgroup machine. There is no documentation available whatsoever on how to grant access to UMFD-* accounts (and the Font Driver Host in particular).

Even granting full access to Everyone for my Fonts folder ("E:\Origs\Fonts\") doesn't seem to be a remedy.

Actually, I wouldn't want to grant any particular access rights to the Font Driver Host. I expect it to access the font files using my account's credentials.

Here's a hyperlink to the corresponding Feedback Hub issue.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From my search, the following steps solve the same issue for some users, you could have a try.

Firstly, disable UAC.

Next, open the command prompt as administrator

Type “attrib –r –s c:\windows\fonts” (obviously minus the quotes), hit Enter

Right click on the fonts folder and choose properties

Click the Security tab

Click Advanced

Click the Owner tab

Click the Edit button

Change the Current Owner to yourself

Check the “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” box

Click OK

As a pop-up box will tell you, you must close the window completely for the changes to take in effect

For the registry key:

1. Run regedit

2. Browse to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENT VERSION\FONTS

3. Give permission to Users

Restart the computer, and try to set Full Control permissions for the Users group on the Fonts folder again.

What’s more, there is a similar case can be regarded as a reference.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/office-2016-there-is-insufficient-memory-or-disk/f9244b18-eaa6-4b2a-8f47-273ec7e86607

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hi Teemo,

thank you for trying to help.

Unfortunately, giving Read permissions to Users doesn't work. As I wrote in my original post, even granting access to Everyone didn't work in my case.

I'm looking forward to your findings. Today I'm leaving home for office and won't return until Saturday. Please be patient when expecting me to reproduce further suggestions.

Regards,
    Axel

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Dear Axel,

Since you have feedback to Microsoft, I suggest to post your question on Office forum for more assistance, there are best resources for you to deal with Word question.

Of course, I will also feedback this case.

After you go home, update system and check again.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Nay, this is not an Office question - it's a Windows Fonts Security question.

I just used MS Office Word as an example. None of the programs installed can access the fonts.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:22 AM
  • OK, I will feedback this case to Microsoft and discuss with my leader.

Please wait patiently for update

Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:16 AM
  • OK, thanks, Teemo, for forwarding this issue.

I appreciate your efforts, and I'm looking forward to a fix/update to Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Axel

Saturday, July 29, 2017 12:48 AM
  • Hi Axel,

Please tell me the version number of your system, my leader and team colleague suspect that current font situation is a potential issue, we will search the latest database to see if there are some error message or if there are some users meet with same situation.

Regards

Monday, July 31, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Thanks, Teemo,

I'm off to office and won't return to my home office until Saturday. I will give you the requested information right then.

Best wishes,
    Axel

Monday, July 31, 2017 9:46 AM
  • You are welcome, we are doing more research on this case, if there is any update, I will post back

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi Teemo,

do you know if there is any progress on this issue?

It's very cumbersome for me being required to "install" the same fonts as a shortcut again and again so they'll become available only for one or two Windows sessions before they become inaccessible again.

Regards,
    Axel

• Edited by BetterToday Monday, August 28, 2017 1:40 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 1:39 PM