none
The "Audible Beep" control code is no longer handled like a beep in Windows 8 and 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have several software programs that use a library that sends control code 007 (AKA 'Audible Beep') two or more times to stdout to alert the user. Additionally I have done this in some of my own software. In earlier versions of Windows this was most commonly known as PC beep. In Windows 7 it was an audible beep but not from the PC speaker, which was fine and actually I thought sounded better. To see an example of how it sounds, in a Windows 7 command prompt type echo <CTRL+G> <CTRL+G> and you should see at the prompt that it says 'echo ^G^G' then hit enter. (Alternately you can use \a escape like printf "\a").

In Windows 7 you will hear two audible beeps. In Windows 8 and Windows 10 there is no audible beep and instead the sound registered as 'Critical Stop' is played once and doesn't even sound like a beep. It is my opinion that is a bug, but since it's been present for so long I suspect the change was intentional and someone at Microsoft thinks otherwise.

Can someone explain why sending multiple beeps no longer works in versions of Windows after Windows 7, and will Microsoft fix this problem?  Thanks

• Edited by popchoc Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:46 AM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You could try to create a beep.bat file.

Content:

ECHO ^G

Save.

Execute this .bat.

Or use script:

&lt;pre name="code">

:start beep 

ECHO ^G 

goto start beep

Besides, you need to check if you have disabled system beep.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-system-beep-windows-7-8

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You could also feedback your demand to Microsoft via Feedback Hub

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:25 AM
  • That doesn't work to make multiple beeps. Are you unable to reproduce in Windows 8 or 10? I have checked that the beep is enabled in the registry and that the driver is enabled and running. Also, I am able to reproduce this on several computers and in a Windows 10 VM just now.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Someone needs to fix this. Windows 7 EOS is approaching and we need a fix. I reported it to Windows 10 team over a year ago and nothing has been done.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 5:31 AM