none
The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x801de000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). RRS feed

• Question

• My system is rebooting with the above mentioned Bugcheck information. Can anyone tell me what the error is and what I need to do to correct?

I'm running W7 Home Premium on a Dell XPS 400,  3mb memory, Nvida 220gt video.

All MS updates loaded

Many thanks!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

• From the minidump file the error is an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f) being caused by the nvlddmkm.sys.

The nvlddmkm.sys is the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver.

The nvlddmkm.sys has a timestamp of "Tue Jan 12 00:32:34 2010" which means the display adapter drivers are up to date.

However I notice, from the minidump file,  the timestamp on the ntoskrnl.exe is "Tue Dec 08 03:06:34 2009" which means you have installed KB977165.

Did you notice this problem started after appyling the latest series of patches from Windows Update released last Tuesday (Feb. 9)?

KB977165, which was one of those updates, has created various issues on some systems and has been temporarily withdrawn from Windows Update.

If the start of the problem coincided with installing that update I would suggest to uninstall KB977165 and see if the issue resolves.

You can you check the Windows Update history to see when KB977165 was installed.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:57 AM

All replies

• If either ZoneAlarm or Norton Antivirus is installed in Windows 7 x64 see the following thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/a93e141e-556c-4a9f-9ea4-2809002c9593

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Neither ZoneAlarm or Norton are installed. I've also run system diagnostics, all running clean. Tempted to do a clean install, but would like to determine if the problem is hardware or software or W7.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

Besides auggy’s suggestion, most of these issues are caused by physical memory crash, display card driver corrupted and disk format conflict.

Test your memory:
    Click the Start button, type mem, and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic
    When the Windows Memory Diagnostic screen loads, click Restart now and check for problems
    The memory diagnostic will run and may take some time (or a ____-load of time depending on your patience!)
    Windows will restart and report any errors to you.
    Refer to: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7728/troubleshot-startup-problems-with-startup-repair-tool-in-windows-7-vista/

I recommended you to update your hardware with Windows 7 compatible driver.
    The official website of Dell also supply user a solution: Looking for Windows 7 Drivers

If the issue persists, pls let me know when and how this issue would occur. You can collect minidump so we can check it for more detail info.
    =================
    1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
    3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.
    4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini090214-01.dmp]) in minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    5. Please upload the file to SkyDriver.

I would like to confirm that if there is any FAT32 partition in your computer. If this is a upgrade Windows 7, have to reformat all partitions during the setup? It seems that data transferring between FAT32 and NTFS may cause this kind of crash in certain situation.

Good luck!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Many thanks for your help. Will upload to Skydrive with the next "failure". Unfortunately it's random and I can't recreate the crash. Have run the suggested tests from Martin 7 below and all ran clean. Yes this was an upgrade to W7 (from Vista) but don't remember reformating during the W7 set-up.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Many thanks for your help. As mentioned, your suggested tests all ran clean. Don't remember if I reformatted during W7, but for what's it's worth, I upgraded back in October and the problems first started over this past weekend. Have set-up the dumps as you suggested and will upload to Skydrive and post an update on this thread. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:36 PM
  • System failed again and have uploaded system dump to Skydrive. What info do you need from me to proceed? Many thanks!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:49 PM
  • System has failed again and have uploaded system dump to Skydrive. What do I need to do? Many thanks!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hi wpkaplan ,

Thank you for your trust.

Since you have uploaded you minidump file to the Sky Drive, you should attach the link of the network location here and select the "Everyone (Public)" option in the "Share with" box.

And have you updated your drivers via Windows  Update?
    For your reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-your-hardware

Await your reply!
    • Edited by Martin 7 Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:09 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Hi Martin

Thanks for yor reply and help!

Yes, all drivers are updated via Windows Update. This has been verified with the instructions you provided in the link.

Not sure what address I use in setting up the link for the dump file on Skydrive.

Thanks again,
    Warren
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM
  • For SkyDrive, make sure the dump files are in a "public folder" and then copy and paste the web address of that folder here.  
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:20 AM
  • From the minidump file the error is an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f) being caused by the nvlddmkm.sys.

The nvlddmkm.sys is the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver.

The nvlddmkm.sys has a timestamp of "Tue Jan 12 00:32:34 2010" which means the display adapter drivers are up to date.

However I notice, from the minidump file,  the timestamp on the ntoskrnl.exe is "Tue Dec 08 03:06:34 2009" which means you have installed KB977165.

Did you notice this problem started after appyling the latest series of patches from Windows Update released last Tuesday (Feb. 9)?

KB977165, which was one of those updates, has created various issues on some systems and has been temporarily withdrawn from Windows Update.

If the start of the problem coincided with installing that update I would suggest to uninstall KB977165 and see if the issue resolves.

You can you check the Windows Update history to see when KB977165 was installed.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Hi Auggy

Many thanks for your help.

Yes my problems started around Feb 9 when kb977165 was installed. Have removed the update, rebooted of course and we shall see.

I noticed last night while in ie8, if I clicked on the "back" arrow, the system would not go back to the prior page. The icon itself would change colors with each click, but not go back. If I hit the back arrow on my keyboard, the system would work normally. With removing kb977165, the back arrow seems to be working.

If the update was my problem, and MS removed it from WIndows Update, sure wish MS would send some type of notification or automatically remove it when running the daily Windows Update.

Thanks again!

Warren
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:27 PM
  • You're welcome.

I believe because not every one is having an issue with the update a notification has not been issued.

However KB977165 may be replaced in the future with one that does not have the present issues. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Just noticed Windows Update is showing one update available, KB977165. Is this the old version that seems to have caused my problems or a new version? I would think if MS removed it, any replacement would have a different ID.

I'd hate to update using the old.

Many thanks,
    Warren
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:59 PM
  • OK, KB977165 appears to have been withdrawn for 32-bit systems only as described in the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/02/17/update-restart-issues-after-installing-ms10-015-and-the-alureon-rootkit.aspx

Not sure why you would be offered this update again in a 32-bit environment.

See "Known issues with this security update" in the following link, for more info on who should still receive this update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977165

In any event, because the issue you were having appears to have resolved by uninstalling the update you may want to "hide" this update for the time being.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Once again thank you for your help and education!

I've already hidden tkb977165 so that it does not update my system

My only concern is, am I exposing myself to a potential treat by not updating?

My primary system use is email (through Office 2007 Outlook), Internet and Word / Excel. I'm using the MS Essentials security package, that I realize is more or less an entry level as compared to a Symantec or MacAfee package, along with the W7 firewall. I am on a bandband connection and leave my system up and running 24 / 7. I run a full system scan everyday, have Windows Update set to receive and install all available updates automatically and of course do a back-up weekly.

Suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Warren
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

Currently, there are many people encountered restart issues after installing MS10-015/kb977165, and the restart was caused by Rootkit named Alureon. Since the IE issue you’ve encountered is not the restart one, I think your system should be clean.

As you may noticed, Install MS10-015 / KB977165 will update the Kernel Version from 5.1.2600.5857 to 5.1.2600.5913 and that may cause other issues.

Currently, Microsoft is working on a fix for Alureon Rootkit or may release an updated version of  MS10-015/kb977165. Personally, I think run full system scan every day and a back-up weekly is strong enough to get your system and data from attack. You can monitor recent update news from Microsoft.

Update - Restart Issues After Installing MS10-015 and the Alureon Rootkit

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/02/17/update-restart-issues-after-installing-ms10-015-and-the-alureon-rootkit.aspx

what do you think about it?

Friday, February 19, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Hi Martin

The confusing part for me is, if the problem is caused by Malware, wouldn't my daily scans finds this and do something? I even run the OneCare full scan once a month as I like to keep my registry clean. Neither of the scans show any problems.

The good part, since removing 977165, I haven't had any restarts and my event log is clean (other than a few DNS servers not responding)

One last question. I have the update version of W7. If I wanted to do a clean install, would I have to load Vista first, then W7?

Many thanks for your help and education!!

Warren
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hello Warren,

In your issue, BSOD is adverse effect on some hardware coperation caused by the security update, not a Malware.

Regarding your concern of reinstalling Windows 7, it depends on what kind of license you own.
    You have to install Vista first only if you have purchased Upgrade License.
    If it is a Full License, you can clean install Windows 7 directly!

Good luck!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I was afraid you would say that concerning a W7 clean install. Problem is I have the upgrade versions of both W7 and Vista, meaning I would have to go back the original
    full version of XP. Think I'll wait for a disk crash and rebuild from scratch at that point. Sure would be nice if MS would let me do something, but we both know that's not going to happen.

Once again I thank you for your help!

Best,
    Warren
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:19 AM