none
Win 7 RC can't find SATA drive ... but beta worked?

Question

• I've been working on this for over 12 hours???
    Win 7 Beta worked great... RC can't find one of my SATA drive.

I have 2 drives Segate and Western Digital
    (My newer and best drive) Win 7 RC only finds the Segate and I want to install on the WD Drive.

Segate in on SATA 0
    WD is on SATA 1... I've even moved it to SATA 3

For some unknown reason my SATA cable for the Segate on 0 is locked into the motherboard and can't be removed???? I have no clue why... Can't switch cables on the Drives themselves ... won't work..... so cables are locked????  I have rebuilt my PC today (UGH)

Anyone have a clue other than reformatting the WD Drive and maybe install Vista and try the Win 7 RC???
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:44 AM

Answers

• Hi OpeX64:
         In order to assist you,  can you provide some more information about your PC?  What motherboard are you using?  Can you look in the bios and see if your motherboard is configured to use your SATA drives in AHCI mode or to emulate IDE mode?  Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any "yellow bangs" on any of your devices?  Frequently the problem you have is one of two things....bad connections for the power or SATA cables.  Either one loose will cause the drive to not show up.  The other common problem that occurs when installing an operating system is the SATA controller is not using the right drivers.  With more info about your motherboard and chipset we might be able to guide you to a solution for that.
      As far as your unremoveable SATA cables,  some SATA cable come with a silver-colored metal locking mechanism which is helpful in locking the cable to a hard drive.  It usually isn't much help locking to the motherboard because they seldom come loose there and just make it more difficult to unplug them.  To release them,  you need to squeeze down on the center of the metal locking mechanism as you pull them loose.  If working properly they should release without needing to use excessive force.  I've had problems getting them loose myself and found that pushing in on the connection and then squeezing the metal lock release and gently pulling out sometimes helps.
    • Marked as answer by OpeX64 Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi OpeX64:
         In order to assist you,  can you provide some more information about your PC?  What motherboard are you using?  Can you look in the bios and see if your motherboard is configured to use your SATA drives in AHCI mode or to emulate IDE mode?  Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any "yellow bangs" on any of your devices?  Frequently the problem you have is one of two things....bad connections for the power or SATA cables.  Either one loose will cause the drive to not show up.  The other common problem that occurs when installing an operating system is the SATA controller is not using the right drivers.  With more info about your motherboard and chipset we might be able to guide you to a solution for that.
      As far as your unremoveable SATA cables,  some SATA cable come with a silver-colored metal locking mechanism which is helpful in locking the cable to a hard drive.  It usually isn't much help locking to the motherboard because they seldom come loose there and just make it more difficult to unplug them.  To release them,  you need to squeeze down on the center of the metal locking mechanism as you pull them loose.  If working properly they should release without needing to use excessive force.  I've had problems getting them loose myself and found that pushing in on the connection and then squeezing the metal lock release and gently pulling out sometimes helps.
    • Marked as answer by OpeX64 Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem.

I have an Ausus P5Q SE2 motherboard with ICH10 controller set to AHCI in BIOS

The PC has 2 x SATA drives, one with Vista 64 on and from that OS I can see the second drive just fine and it is a completely empty NTFS formatted drive.

I reboot with the Win7 DVD and the entering set-up takes an age and then it only shows ONE drive that is clearly the OS drive, as it is part full!

Anyone any ideas why on earth Win7 sees only one HDD, but Vista sees both, and yet both are clearly on the same AHCI setting from the ICH10 and both drives are NTFS formatted???

Any ideas?

Ridesy
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hey Newneard.....
    Please bear with me as I'm a real dyslexic so my spelling will be bad <blush>
    You are correct... in my bios my drives are set to IDE and not AHCI (learn something new every day)
    I changed bios to AHCI and windows can't repair the boot so no love ..
    I'm wondering if I try to install win7 RC with AHCI and that may fix the problem????  and if it will find the WD Drive which is much newer than my older Segate.

My Motherboard is adn intel DQ965GF

As far as the unremovable cable... you are correct about the metal clip... but It's locked in... I pulled the whole computer apart and even removed the hd, ide and power and reset cables to get to the metel clip and still won't come out... that sucker is locked for life... damn it.
    I'm really hoping making the change to AHCI and doing a clean install will allow the RC to see the WD drive..... think that's possible?

Thanks for all your help
    Op
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:58 PM
  • I am having the same issue, except that I have only one HD (WD800JD), and W7 does not see it. Setup says: "No drives were found.Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation". Just got through changing the SATA drive to AHCI mode and re-trying the install. Same result exactly. This is a clean install on my test machine over the top of an existing UBUNTU installation.

P4 3.4ghz; Shuttle FB83V10 m/bd.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hey Guys,
    I would like to share my good news!!!!
    Switching to AHCI mode Worlked!
    and I must say My drive are 10 times faster when tranfering data for one drive to the next!

Couple of notes:

Before AHCI Mode I always got with the RC only  and choice of 1 or 2 cd/dvd drive opintons picking 2 resulted in nothing pick 1 would start the instiall.
    After AHCUI Mode the prompt came up say "Hit any key to boot from DVD"      I just thought it was something in the RC version

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi OpeX64:
       You sound kinda happy!  I guess your question is solved.  Glad to hear you got it working.  I would make one more suggestion for you.....download and install the following for your board from Intel.  Set a re-store point before installing it.

RAID: Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Intel Desktop Boards

The only one you need is:

English: STOR_allOS_8.7.0.1007_PV.exe

Ver: 8.7.0.1007   Date:1/5/2009    Size: 23166 (KB)

This will install the Intel Matrix Storage console which monitors your hard drive health and notifies you if a drive is failing.  I think it also installs drivers which allow the chipset to properly recognize recognize and control hard drives.  This is probably currently being done by built-in Win7 Microsoft drivers.

You will find the download at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2372&DwnldID=15251&strOSs=150&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2064&lang=eng

OS: Windows Vista* 32, Windows Vista* 64, Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Hi

Have the more or less same problem and also tried to get some help:

----Copy start----
    Hi
    Just tried to install Windows 7 RC but I whish to install on my new installed harddrive Disc1 with 3 NFTS formatted partitions:
    Win7 ( K: )  = 298GB
    Linux ( L: )  =   98GB
    Lager( M: )  = 200GB

My "old" Disc0 is a 320GB HD SATA I  max 150MB/s
    My "new" (from yesterday :) Disc1 is a 640GB HD SATAII max 300MB/s

Both harddrives is accepted by Vista SP1 and the first partition on Disc1 = Win7 - K: is setup as Active

But when I shall pick a place to install Win7 inside the setup program I can only see my C and D partitions on my Disc0

I have locked after jumper roles to use together with SATA I and II harddrives but I can not find any that tells me to set any jumpers on SATA harddrives as we sholud when installing 2 IDE harddrives in the "old" days ;-))

So I need someone or more to tell me "why I only get the possibility to install on my Disc0" when I have 2 = Disc0 and Disc1 installed and accepted by the BIOS and Vista SP1

Why?

Friendly regards
    Bear
    ----Copy ends----

And I can see in this tread there are several people that have the same problem, so we must hope that some from Microsoft see this or my earlier published tread and give us all a good explanation. Because it sucks if a RC software can not find a disc1 in a two SATA disc setup. We have so many problems with the last OS = Vista and now we shall have the same with an OS that should be more or less as the final release. Thats to bad that so many people shall vaste a lot of their spare time on problems like that :-/

Regards
    Bear  
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi Bear:
       Perhaps you could try turning off the PC, unplugging the drive you won't need during your install of Win7 RC.  Then boot your PC, go into your Bios and see if  AHCI is selected  for your Sata Controller.  If the sata controller is set for IDE mode, don't change it or you'll foul up your other O.S. If it is set in IDE mode, Microsoft built in drivers will work.  Next insert the Win7 ISO DVD, re-boot and Press Any Key when notified and do a Custom Installation of Win7 RC.  During the installation you should now see your new hard drive and you can partition it to the desired size you want for your Win7 OS, format that partition and proceed to install Win7.  After installation check your device manager first thing for any yellow bangs on devices and install any drivers needed to fix the devices. If your Bios was set to AHCI for your Sata drives you may need to install drivers if they aren't built in.  If you need help doing that, post back with all the details about your PC hardware and what your problem devices are to see if we can help with the drivers for them.  Good luck
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Newnerd,

Bear is suffering exactly the same issue as me and none of these fixes work!

I have a very up to date motherboard with an Intel ICH10 SATA controller (note not ICH10R, so no RAID).

I have two single and idenectial WD250GB SATA drives in the system, one on channel 1 and one on channel 2 (the controller has 6 ports).

The first drive has Vista Business 64 on it, the second is NTFS formatted, Active and is visible as a D: drive from Vista.

Yes, the BIOS is set to AHCI, as that is how I want to run it in dual boot.

I load the Win7 RC1 DVD and boot and all I see is a single disc which is part full (i.e. my Vista disc), no second disc at all!

The idea that you need to load AHCI drivers separately is daft, as Win7 can see one disk and if it needed drivers it wouldn't see any, but I have in fact actually tried this with the latest Vista 64 Intel ICH10R AHCI/RAID drivers loaded and it still shows only one disk!

Just to add to this, I have another PC as a test that has 2 separate RAID0 arrays and again these are on the Intel ICH10R controller. The first array is a pair of 60GB SSD's and has Vista 64 on them, the second RAID0 is a pair of WD 64GB Raptors and these were wiped and a new RAID created, so blank and unallocated.

On that PC, I just loaded the Win7 DVD, booted and with NO additional drivers loaded, BINGO Win7 see two disks (the two arrays) and I loaded Win7 onto the second array and have a normal working dual boot!

So why the heck is Win7 refusing to see separate HDD's on basically the same controller, but just under AHCI and not RAID (IDE modulation)???

Why can it see one drive and not two?

PS: I have unplugged the Vista Disk and with only the empty disk attached Win7 can see it fine, but that doesn't help if you want a dual boot!

Ridesy

PPS: I finally got round my problem by shrinking the volume size on the Vista Disk from in Vista Disk Management and then installing Win7 on a second partition on that now free space on the disk, but I could not get Win7 to see the second disk ever!

Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Hi to both of you kind helpers :)

1) Newnerd: I have tried all I can think of - but it is the first time I try to install harddrives with sata connections, so therefore I sound a little unsecure :) But just for the record: I´m 60 years old have played around with computers (hard og soft-ware) back to the days with the Z80 and commondor/amstrad - DOS from the very beginning togehter with ggdrasil 0.99 linux distribution (first distribution with a written/printed manual ;-))
    So when that is known I think I have some background to lock at the problems around hardware og software problems (single or small networks based).
    I feel therofore that I have tried all I can think of except the new things with sata drives and there connections.
    But I can see that other people have the same problm as I have so therefore I don´t thinkyour suggestions will done anything to my problem - but thanks for your suggestions anyway :)

2) Ridesey: Thanks for your reply - even the fact that it is not nice to have our problm it is nice to hear that someone else have 99.9% of the same problem.
        There are allways a small difference between 2 computers ;-)

I will not accept your solution - I will have my whole PC shall work as it supposes to work nothing half done as you have accepted with missing one harddrive just to see the new Win7 RC from Microsoft. That is not good enough...

And whatever my bios tells me I can´t change it now when I spoil my Vista drive if I do it.

So we have to look futher - mayby try to get contact more directly with some Microsoft people on the Technet.

If any of you see the light and find a solution on the problem I will be very glad to hear from you :)

Regards
    Bear

Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi Ridesy:
       Glad to hear you got Win7 RC installed!  I can hear that second hard drive asking a question though.....(forgive me)  "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"  (after getting Win7 installed).
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Hi Newnerd,

Yep, it gets more odd - Win7 RC1 can see the second disc just fine now that it is installed!

I have C: being the Win7 partition, D: being the Vista partition on the same physical disk and now an F: being the NTFS formatted second WD drive!

Go figure!

MS Need to look at this as I bet many people will want to dual boot to start and if adding a second SATA drive in an AHCI set-up means it wont show up, then people will not be happy.

Ridesy
    Friday, May 08, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hello,

So im having pretty much the same issue as everyone else here. I have 2 sata drives ones a WD (Vista SP1 on it) and the other is a Samsung (Data drive). Now windows 7 Beta recognized both HDDs, but now RC1 will not recognize ethier one of the devices. I did check the BIOS and in there i dont see anything where i can set the SATA controller to ACHI. Only option i get is SATA controller enable or disable. I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard. I tried inserting the motherboard disk to look for the drivers and came up empty handed. At this point im almost ready to reinstall Vista SP1 and just upgrade. 

Now a side note, is it just me or is it suppose to take 35+ mins when booting from disk for windows 7 to just sit at Starting Windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 08, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Hi Ricketds:
         I think there is a problem with Win7 RC installing the correct ACHI drivers for some motherboards.  If youhad planned on keeping your Vista SP1 operating system and installing Win7 in a dual boot installation you would need to have your Bios set to the same default setting for both O.S.s.  If Vista SP1 was installed with the default setting of  "enabled" you will probably experience a failure with the Win7 install.  I think you could unplug the Vista drive and switch the bios setting to "Disabled" for the Win7 installation and it should install with the Sata drive operating in "IDE emulation" mode using built-in Windows drivers.  This will work ok but might result in a slightly lower system.  The remaining problem is you won't be able to use the Vista SP1 hard drive until you disconnect the Win7 drive and switch the bios back.
        If I am correct,  I think it is well worth consideration because once you Win7 RC up and running with all your saved data & applications from the Vista SP1 system installed,  you won't want to go back! 
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Thanks newnerd, i may have to try to disable the sata controller, i just figured if i shut it off the controller the drives wouldnt be recognized anyways. Ya im not duel booting this time around. i did with win7 beta but this time i wanted a clean install of win7. Now the ironic part is i went ahead and reinstalled Vista SP1 to upgrade to Win7. Deleted the partition, formated it, went to upgrade started the upgrade process but after the first reboot in the process it will hang up at the starting windows screen for about 45 mins and then BSOD with no real error message, and yes my HDD are healthy with no bad sectors. Its just really frustrating!

I will try to turn that off though and see what it does for me. I have another computer that has SATA and i installed it on that one without a hitch, actually the computer im using now :)
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Ya i just got done turning off the SATA controller and the setup didnt take 45+ mins to load this time but still no drives were recognized. Looks like im going to have to wait until this little issue is iron out. Thank you for the help though it was worth the shot to get out of Vista.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Hi Ricketds:

You said: "Now the ironic part is i went ahead and reinstalled Vista SP1 to upgrade to Win7. Deleted the partition, formated it, went to upgrade..."

You should do a "clean install" of Win7 by booting your PC,  inserting the Win7 DVD,  re-boot PC, press any key when prompted and choose "Custom Installation".  At this point Win7 should show you all the hard drives on the PC and you can then select the drive & partition you want it on.  Then format that partition and install Win7. It kinda sounds like your trying to do an upgrade install from within Vista.  Doing a clean install,  I would try setting your Bios to "enable Sata controller" for this clean install.  If that fails.....THEN try "disable Sata Controller" for do a "clean install.   Good luck!!!!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by hankinnc Saturday, May 09, 2009 12:38 PM
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 3:47 AM
  • I have the same type of problem.  I even installed a new HD with nothing on it and tried a clean install.  Still get message that I have a HD problem.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 12:41 PM
  • I had the same problems as well. I had Windows 7 beta on the HD and then downloaded the ISO and burned the ISO for Windows 7 RC. I went to install the W7 RC and got the error that No Drives Were Found. I read these forums and tinkered with my computer BIOS a bit. WARNING- If you mess with your BIOS, you might mess up your other OS you plan on using on the same Machine. Remember what you change so you can change it back.

I have an ASUS P5B-Vista Motherboard. I am using the Jmicron controller (I believe the source of the problem). My BIOS is v.02.58 American Megatrends Inc.
    In the BIOS, Under the "Main" tab, I went into "IDE Configuration" and Changed "Configure SATA as IDE" to "AHCI."
    After changing that, I had to ALSO change a setting in another tab. In the tab "Advanced" I went into "Onboard Devices Configuration" I changed the "JMicron Controller Mode" from "RAID" to "AHCI." I saved the changes and exited.

I booted from my new Windows 7 RC DVD and it found my drives.

After I installed Windows 7 RC, I changed the settings back to where I found them and it still continues to work. All drives are still located.

I hope this helps someone.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 2:52 AM