none
speakers don't work with windows 7

Question

• Today I upgraded from XP to 7 ultimate and my speakers don't work anymore!

I've tried going on device manager and 'Scan for hardware changes' and i got a message saying

'Unidetified driver" and "No Driver Found"

also my speakers are called ''High Definition Audio Device''

my mother board is ASUS P5GD2-X

Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:41 AM

Answers

• I see what you mean. I extracted the three files and found it only leaves an installer file. Here is a link to extracted drivers from the other post that I referenced.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/CMI9880_5.12.1.8.zip    It is zipped for download size. Right-click and extract it. CMHDA is the file you want to use.

Try that file using the manual method and the

CMI.part1  would be the file from Asus using the compatibility mode.

Any success?

• Marked as answer by oHayAhB Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi oHayAhB,

It appears that Asus did not support (click here) the CIM9880L audio device for Vista and C-Media(here) has no Windows 7 generic driver for that device. This device seems exclusive to Asus.

The first option is to get another audio card and disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

The second option is to try to install the XP drivers in compatiblity mode. Download ( from the above support page link) the three files for 32-bit XP or the one file for 64-bit XP if you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7. It always helps to provide your system information, OS and hardware .

The 32-bit files need to extracted to the same folder. Once that is done, find the file named CMI.part1.exe and right-click on it.

Then follow the instrctions for using How to: use compatibility mode to install device drivers. Select an XP  version as the last OS it worked in. Tehn restart the computer. If this doesn't work you have a Windows 7 incompatible audio device and need to install a new device.

Finally, while in device manager, right-click on the device and select properties, select the details tab, in the drop down box, select hardware id, copy and paste that into a reply here. Perhaps it's different hardware and Asus used the Codec only. A driver may be located that way.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Ok,

In another thread, several users reported having success using the XP driver from Asus and installing it manually, and then rebooting. Here's the thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/3d7d02d4-fa0e-4164-a54d-ec2ae0a06ca6

Get the correct version 32-bit or 64-bit for XP from Asus support. http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

1. Right-click the device in device manager

2. select update driver

3. select browse

4. point it to the downloaded driver file

5. select the .inf file

6. ok, install

7. reboot 

8. do you have audio?

9. use Windows audio controls to adjust audio settings

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Do I download the 3 audio files for ASUS P5GD2-X?

I'm sorry I'm kind of confused

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Yes. If you are using the 32-bit Windows 7.

Right-click on the folder of #1 and select extract. Note the folder name it extracts to/

Then do #2 the same way and extract to the folder #1 name.

Then the same for #3.

Then update the driver as mentioned in the previous post and browse to the folder with the driver files.

Ok? 

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:20 AM
  • it won't let me select the inf file

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I see what you mean. I extracted the three files and found it only leaves an installer file. Here is a link to extracted drivers from the other post that I referenced.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/CMI9880_5.12.1.8.zip    It is zipped for download size. Right-click and extract it. CMHDA is the file you want to use.

Try that file using the manual method and the

CMI.part1  would be the file from Asus using the compatibility mode.

Any success?

• Marked as answer by oHayAhB Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Question: what CPU do you have?

I have an ASUS motherboard from the P5 family and I use Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

High-Definition Audio sound exactly like mine, which has a VIA HDeck series of drivers for the integral audio.

When you install Win 7 from XP, you WILL have to reinstall ALL of your MB drivers, so I hope you saved your disc. I'll assume you reinstalled your LAN drivers as you probably have an Atheros ethernet connection.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:29 PM
  • THANK YOU I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKS!!

YOU'RE MY SAVIOR! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! :)

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:05 AM