none
Microsoft 6to4 adapter

Question

• In my device manager the 6to4 adapter is not working it displays the following message

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 10)

I cannot find a solution for this, is there a hot fix

Monday, January 07, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hello B. Addy,

Thanks for your post!

6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly.

In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature. You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component.

To uninstall the component, right-click the item in Device Manager and select Uninstall.

To reinstall the component, in Device Manager, Action – Add Legacy Hardware – Next – “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list” – Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish the wizard.

If the steps above doesn’t solve the problem, your network adapter is not a supportive one for this component. You can completely ignore this error, if there isn’t IPv6 network deployed in the environment. The error won’t affect your system.

To remove the error message, please right-click the Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hello B. Addy,

Thanks for your post!

6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly.

In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature. You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component.

To uninstall the component, right-click the item in Device Manager and select Uninstall.

To reinstall the component, in Device Manager, Action – Add Legacy Hardware – Next – “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list” – Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish the wizard.

If the steps above doesn’t solve the problem, your network adapter is not a supportive one for this component. You can completely ignore this error, if there isn’t IPv6 network deployed in the environment. The error won’t affect your system.

To remove the error message, please right-click the Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:26 AM
  • Thank you for that info, I have been trying to figure this out for a minute now, and just could not figure it out.  Solves the problem!!!

Thank you
    jpwulf81@hotmail.com
    Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem. I also have regularly system error

***  STOP : 0x000000D1 (...)

***  tcpip.sys.

Do you think that this system error is due to 6TO4 adapter problem (as I understand 6TO4 adapter is link to tcpip) ?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:09 PM
  • I got trojan Iasex.dll and 6to4ex.dll. I removed 6to4ex.dll. After the removing I keep getting 6to4svc.dll in my \windows\system32\. Is it a required file 6to4svc and 6to4ex?. I don't have a a router between my computer and my telephone outlet to my ISP. I connect direct using ADSL. Can I remove it 6to4svc.dll ? How?
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Hi Lionel

l just uninstalled and reinstalled adap. 6to4 #2 and got it back in the hidden devices without the error triangle. Does that mean  if the adapter doesnt show when u collapse the Network Adapters it will affect anything?

regards,

ltayi
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 9420 with a softload of "Windows Vista Home Premium"

I have this problem too with the Microsoft 6to4 adapter that has a yellow triangle..i have done some research about this--

it tells that you will need to re-install it...I've re-installed it but i can't see it anymore on the device manager.

I clicked "show hidden devices" and i see it.. It says that the Microsoft 6to4 adapter is Functioning properly but the location is unknowned.

Please help me because i can't connect to the internet with this problem.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  

i have installed it the way you guide me, but i dont see the icon for 6to4 adapter under network
    Friday, June 27, 2008 10:59 PM
  • My client has the same problem when he changed from Pipex to Sky Broadband

My client told me today this only happened since he left Pipex (they cut him off, I don't know why) and changed to Sky BB last week, they checked the line, the software is installed, here is a list of what I did:

I updated the network card driver to the current version
    I deleted the 6to4 adaptor
    I disabled IPv6 - I enabled it again when it wouldn't connect
    I tried all 3, 'Never Dial a connectioin', Dial A Connection when a network is not present' and 'Always dial my default connection' which is 'Broadband Connection'
    I uninstalled the network adaptor, rebooted, and got Windows to autodetect, that didn't work

When I click on Diagnose and Repair, it says there's a problem with the network card, but it doesn't tell me what! But then when I try to connect normally and diagnose, it says everything is working fine.

Any suggestions?
    • Proposed as answer by The Rev Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:38 PM
  •  

I followed these instructions, uninstalled and then reinstalled this driver and the wizard said it was installed and i finished the wizard but 6 to 4 does not show back up in the device manager? Is this correct?
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hello,

I just went thruw the same problem myself.  I followed the instructions posted in the below-mentioned reply and it worked !

Thank you !

Pottycan.

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi, I had the same problem with my 6to4 and isatap adapters. Its a 'code 10' with mine too. I tried Lionel Chen's method, up until disabling and hiding them (I do not feel comfortable with sweeping my problems under the carpet) but have to report that it did not solve it. I went to another forum and managed to find an answer. The reason for this posting is to share the answer with you guys/gals. I know how frustrating it is to see that 'yellow triangle' mark of Death in your Device Manager.

It has to do with modifying your Registry. Unless you are comfortable doing it, I suggest getting someone who is, to do it. First, click 'Start', type 'regedit.exe'. Double click on 'regedit.exe' to get into your Registry. Go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\. Double click 'Disabled Components'. Change the entry to '0' to enable all IPv6 components. *('0' is the default setting (DWORD 32-bit)). Restart your computer. Check your Devise Manager (cross your fingers). SUCCESS??

This did the trick for me, but everytime I restart my computer, the problem will still resurface. The Author of the above, deleted that problematic string to prevent it from "coming back to bite me later", as he put it. For me, I'll just do the above steps again & again, everytime, right after a Restart; until I feel comfortable deleting it. The Author suspect the free version of 'Zone Alarm' caused the problem. I, too, installed it just before I had my problem.

I want to remind anyone attempting the above to do a Back Up or at least, create a Restore Point, just before. I will not take responsibilities for any damage done or even success, cause its not mine to take. I'm only sharing what I learned from others. I can only say that I've tried it and report success.
    • Proposed as answer by willip333 Friday, May 22, 2009 4:47 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:44 PM
  • alright, I have the same problem, except that after uninstalling the driver and attempting several times to re-install it using your directions which I fully understand, windows tells me that it is complete and the driver just dissapears, I am getting quite frustrated, I tried re-booting several times and repeating the installation steps.  if you could help me out I would greatly apprectiate it, my email is billykane11@hotmail.com
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem with my laptop but I can connect to the Internet for 3-4 hours every time I start the laptop before it gets disconnected.  I uninstall the Microsoft 6to4 and reinstalled it per your instruction.  However, after reinstalling, the Microsoft 6to4 did not come back.  There is no icon under Network Adapter in Device Manager.  I tried reinstalled a few times, no icon shows up.

I could not connect to the Internet after that.  So I tried plugging in the Ethernet cord.  I can connect to the Internet with the cord.  Then I tried disconnecting the Ethernet cord.  I can still connect to the Internet wirelessly.  I tried restarted the laptop no Ethernet cord plugging in.  It can connect to the Internet but don't know for long yet.

I'm not sure why the Microsoft 6to4 icon is not showing up and how that would affect my Internet connection or something else.  Please advise.

I will update the post if my Internet connection is still working or not working when testing long enough.

Thanks

Pat
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:52 PM
  • what is code 31 i hate to uninstall and cant get it back on and what is 6to4 adaptor  forand i have tried to update too
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I followed the above directions and put "netsh in 6to4 set state disable" in the run box. When it popped up, I deleted it which I realize was incorrect. How do I get it back, my computer takes forever to boot??
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:19 AM
  • i did that but it says i have to reconnect it and i dont know how :(
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Mr Chen, Thank you for your help in this issue, it helped me to mostly solve my problem. However, some of the networks I use are IPv6 so having it disabled is not particularly ideal, even though it lets me use the internet in some cases. If you could advise me on how to solve this problem it would be much appreciated. Thank you, Morgan McKenzie
    • Edited by m_mcKenzie Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:24 PM spelling error
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:21 PM
  • followed easy instructions above , job done , brilliant and many thanks
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Microsoft 6to4 adapter tried to install, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION, on 1/16/2010.
    Now I have no internet connectivity, lots of problems with firewall, etc.
    How do I fix this [before I call a lawyer]?
    • Proposed as answer by msitspec Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Thanks!  That worked!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:44 PM
  • hello, lionel,thanks for your kind advice,it has help me lot,i didnt know about the problems details but after reading your post i knew what it is!thanks again lionel.but still i have that problem,that means that triangle i still showing after i did what you have said in the article.  lionel i have question to you: i use broadband dsl cable modem and there have ipv4 and ipv6 network adapter connectivity has present in my pc so if uninstall that adapter there will be any problem arise for network connection? plz reply me in this id:mukherjeem23@hotmail.com.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Am surprised that there is no ready hotfix for a problem as pervasive as this from MICROSOFT. Windows assures that drivers are

UP-TO-DATE so it is not about divers; it is why the errors occur with all five network adapters. Please send my SOS to MICROSOFT.

MY e-MAIL ADDRESS:  Sasiautomobiles@gmail.com

SHAD  OFFEIDEH .

Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Mr. Chen,

If the industry was not ready for the new IPv6 protocol, then why implement it? I know the IT and Telecommunication industries thought the IPv4 addresses would run out. Previously, the IP addresses were static. Until, the light bulb went on in the great minds of the industry and they decided IP addresses could be dynamic - meaning you could have many IP addresses in the internal network translated to one outside (internet) the network because of NAT (Network Address Translation). Can you tell me why implementing an idea (IPv6) that most hardware (NICs & network adapters, routers, etc) were not setup to handle? For those of you that do not know, that is why the driver is named 6to4 adapter (converting IPv6 to IPv4, backwards capability). However, it should be 4to6 adapter. The conversions should be as I stated in the previous sentence, the adapter should convert from IPv4 to IPv6 or create a dual conversion driver. Since, most consumers have computers and devices with the IPv4 capabilities. As you know, the move from IPv4 to IPv6 has been in the works for years. In my opinion, the computer hardware and software industries should have communicated, the time, in advance, with one another, when to implement this technology across all products, before implementing this nightmare. What is ironic? I had this discussion about the problems that may arise with implementation of the new IPv6 protocol, in my Network & Telecommunication classes last year. Now, I believe my Network & Telecommunication’s Professor was dead on with the discussion about problems that consumers would face with the implementation of IPv6. I hope Microsoft provide a real fix as opposed to a band-aid. What happen to forward thinking? Best Practices! Lessons Learned! Will we, the public be Microsoft's JAD (Joint Application Development) forever?

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:53 AM
  • AMEN!! My thoughts exactly msitspec. 

Ok so here is where I get lost..... 

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\ ..... My only choices are Interface and Winsock...where do I find the Disabled? How do I know whats disabled?

"Double click 'Disabled Components'. Change the entry to '0' to enable all IPv6 components. *('0' is the default setting (DWORD 32-bit))"

THANKS!

boggsbs@gmail.com

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Hi All,

I followed the process you just outlined  from the Microsoft forum post ofLionel Chen. but the Microsoft Network adaptor would not re-install back :(

What do I do? I am using a Toshiba satellite L300 -29U windows vista version. will it affect the laptop, Please tell me what to do.

Caro

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Microsoft has a Hot Fix for this issue. I just downloaded the fix and it solved the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980486

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Microsoft has a Hot Fix for this issue. I just downloaded the fix and it solved the problem:

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:03 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:03 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:04 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:05 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:06 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:06 PM

Regards,

Sylvia Valdes

• Proposed as answer by lorabet Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi Sylvia,

diese Hot Fix-seite bringt leuten mit Windows Vista überhaupt nichts!

Grüße Anne

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:04 PM
  • The problem was solved when I had to reinstall Windows 7.

Sylvia Valdes

lorabet
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:53 PM
  • this doesnt work, ive uninstalled the driver, and now i cant reinstall it because its lost.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Ok I just encountered this same problem and still am experiencing the problem. So far I have tried everything except the hotfix because I have not been able to get a wired connection through my computer. I use a laptop with Wifi and just connect at librarys coffee shops ect. I do not have a wired connection I can use to try to apply the hot fix. So far this is what I have done and still can not get windows to recognize and wireless connections

1. I deleted both microsoft 6to4 adapters.

2. I deleted the non micrososft 6to 4 adapter.

3. I went into my connection settings and uncheced ipv6.

4. I tried the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable.

5. I have tried uninstalling my network driver back and forth

6. I have tried roll back driver over and over.

7. When the problem happened in the past week I figure it might of been attached to a windows update so I unistalled all Windows updates in that time frame.

8. I tried a system restore before I encountered this problem.

I have tried everything so far I have found that is outlined with this problem but I still cant get access to any wireless network as of now to my knowledge what I have learned so far everything that has this ipv6 bs has been deleted or disabled and I'm slamming my head into the wall trying to figure out why its still effecting my laptop. Obviously when I can I will try to hook up my laptop to a wired connection to see if the hotfix will work. But I'm here at all of your mercy to see if you have any other suggestions or ideas I can do.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Ok I just encountered this same problem and still am experiencing the problem. So far I have tried everything except the hotfix because I have not been able to get a wired connection through my computer. I use a laptop with Wifi and just connect at librarys coffee shops ect. I do not have a wired connection I can use to try to apply the hot fix. So far this is what I have done and still can not get windows to recognize and wireless connections

1. I deleted both microsoft 6to4 adapters.

2. I deleted the non micrososft 6to 4 adapter.

3. I went into my connection settings and uncheced ipv6.

4. I tried the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable.

5. I have tried uninstalling my network driver back and forth

6. I have tried roll back driver over and over.

7. When the problem happened in the past week I figure it might of been attached to a windows update so I unistalled all Windows updates in that time frame.

8. I tried a system restore before I encountered this problem.

I have tried everything so far I have found that is outlined with this problem but I still cant get access to any wireless network as of now to my knowledge what I have learned so far everything that has this ipv6 bs has been deleted or disabled and I'm slamming my head into the wall trying to figure out why its still effecting my laptop. Obviously when I can I will try to hook up my laptop to a wired connection to see if the hotfix will work. But I'm here at all of your mercy to see if you have any other suggestions or ideas I can do.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND THIS GUY JUST WORDED IT ALL FOR ME. I CANT EVEN GET A WIRED CONNECTION. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Dear All,

I tried the method by Lionel but the result is same as Caro, i.e. does not work.

I tried the method by Willip but the result is same as BoggsBS, i.e. can't find the choice.

I use Vista but the Hotfix is for Win 7.

Any other way to fix the problem?  Kindly help.

Regards,
    Raymond

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:05 AM
  • well done! great advice. Work wonderful. Merci.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Thanks Lionel, it really helps. I just unninstalled and reinstalled again and the yellow triangle dissapear. Off course, I update the driver of my network adapter and chipsdet.

Best regards,

Picaro

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:16 PM
  • in my case is win vista 32bit and i have de same error but (31), and i cant conect to internet wireless or by ethernet,  can you help me
    • Proposed as answer by ACM Pro Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ACM Pro Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:30 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:29 PM