none
Why Shutdown doesn't reset the "Up Time" Counter? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All ,

I noticed in windows 10 , shutting down and turning on Windows 10 PC doesn't reset the up time counter in the task manager .

to reset the counter , i have to use restart and not shutdown .

how i can solve that ?

Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Immerbonus.

As far as I know, this discrepancy is due to the Fast Startup mode, which is enabled by default in Windows 10: read here to know more about that.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:56 PM
  • Hi Immerbonus,

That's because you have Fast Startup enabled - it's a hybrid between completely powering off the computer and keeping some important system files cached for faster startup. So when you shut down, it doesn't completely shut down, which is why the uptime counter doesn't reset after you shut down.

So disable Fast Startup.

Also based on my test, the uptime in task manager only resets if you do a restart, not if you turn PC on/off as usual. Shut down does not reset the CPU cycle! If you want to reset the CPU cycle (and thus uptime), use the Restart option or run shutdown /s /full instead.

After I restart, it would be reset the "Up Time" Counter.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl                              

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Hi Immerbonus,

Any update?

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:56 PM
  • Hi Immerbonus,

I know you may be busy with work, if there are no other problems, I temporarily closed the case, of course, we can still continue to discuss.
    If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark helpful posts as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Regards,

Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:38 AM
  • You can also use Shift+Shutdown from the Start menu and that will clear the uptime - at the cost of taking a bit longer to start up.

Phil

Friday, March 2, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Carl Fan

Good afternoon, how are you ?

I would like to take a question on this subject from UP Time

I have several server of various type since windows 2003 to 2016.

And every time I have a power outage my get UP Time performance counters get corrupted and the value can not be seen.

Do you know if it is possible to reset these UP Time counters without having to restart the servers
    Monday, January 14, 2019 1:42 PM