none
Critical Errors in Event Log - Source - Diagnostic Performance

Question

• Hello

I just checked my error log and I have many many errors showing that are either Boot Performance Monitoring or Shutdown Performance Monitoring, and a few Standby PM's. I bought this in Jan/Feb. I know, it's not shutting down or starting up without manually making it do so. But it does take a long time to start up and it does seem like there is lag time with different things like typing online, using a link to a page that I'm always signed in to sometimes takes awhile or logging off sometimes takes longer than it should.

BTW: I did receive a message here stating that there were other questions like mine already here but I looked at them and they were completely different issues. However, by the time I was done typing and pasting info there were several new ones that were similar to mine - sorry about that but they were not there until I finished.

The specs are:

HP dv6 Series Notebook

Intel Dual Core CPU T6600 @ 2.20 ghz

Ram - 4 Gigs

Came with preinstalled 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium OS

I have not seen this particular event before I guess I was looking at a different event log for applications all this time. I stopped using the computer for about 3 months because I didn't have the time to learn Windows 7. I only just recently turned it back on a few days ago because my PC broke. (It's also an HP and only 1 yr - 2 mths old and it looks like it could be the motherboard) Anyway, on the event log it's showing these errors as far back as BEFORE  I even owned the pc. I'm worried because it's saying they are critical and I don't understand what it's talking about. Here is a copy of an individual  event:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date: 6/13/2010 12:43:46 AM

Event ID: 100

Task Category: Boot Performance Monitoring

Level: Critical

Keywords: Event Log

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: (name I deleted this) 

Description:

Windows has started up:

Boot Duration : 146310ms

IsDegradation : false

Incident Time (UTC) : 2010-06-13T07:40:55.656000300Z

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{CFC18EC0-96B1-4EBA-961B-622CAEE05B0A}" />

<EventID>100</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>4002</Task>

<Opcode>34</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-13T07:43:46.494303300Z" />

<EventRecordID>343</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{00000100-0000-0000-8A76-D1C1CB0ACB01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="1380" ThreadID="1484" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

<Data Name="BootTsVersion">2</Data>

<Data Name="BootStartTime">2010-06-13T07:40:55.656000300Z</Data>

<Data Name="BootEndTime">2010-06-13T07:43:44.247899400Z</Data>

<Data Name="SystemBootInstance">74</Data>

<Data Name="UserBootInstance">65</Data>

<Data Name="BootTime">146310</Data>

<Data Name="MainPathBootTime">56010</Data>

<Data Name="BootKernelInitTime">26</Data>

<Data Name="BootDriverInitTime">8421</Data>

<Data Name="BootDevicesInitTime">3509</Data>

<Data Name="BootPrefetchInitTime">51341</Data>

<Data Name="BootPrefetchBytes">398700544</Data>

<Data Name="BootAutoChkTime">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootSmssInitTime">11092</Data>

<Data Name="BootCriticalServicesInitTime">11545</Data>

<Data Name="BootUserProfileProcessingTime">3365</Data>

<Data Name="BootMachineProfileProcessingTime">535</Data>

<Data Name="BootExplorerInitTime">14267</Data>

<Data Name="BootNumStartupApps">19</Data>

<Data Name="BootPostBootTime">90300</Data>

<Data Name="BootIsRebootAfterInstall">false</Data>

<Data Name="BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits">16641</Data>

<Data Name="BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootIsDegradation">false</Data>

<Data Name="BootIsStepDegradation">false</Data>

<Data Name="BootIsGradualDegradation">false</Data>

<Data Name="BootImprovementDelta">33493</Data>

<Data Name="BootDegradationDelta">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootIsRootCauseIdentified">true</Data>

<Data Name="OSLoaderDuration">3505</Data>

<Data Name="BootPNPInitStartTimeMS">26</Data>

<Data Name="BootPNPInitDuration">4796</Data>

<Data Name="OtherKernelInitDuration">3742</Data>

<Data Name="SystemPNPInitStartTimeMS">7793</Data>

<Data Name="SystemPNPInitDuration">7134</Data>

<Data Name="SessionInitStartTimeMS">15672</Data>

<Data Name="Session0InitDuration">2068</Data>

<Data Name="Session1InitDuration">816</Data>

<Data Name="SessionInitOtherDuration">8208</Data>

<Data Name="WinLogonStartTimeMS">26765</Data>

<Data Name="OtherLogonInitActivityDuration">11077</Data>

<Data Name="UserLogonWaitDuration">1850</Data>

here's what my event log looks like:

Critical 6/13/2010 12:43:46 AM Diagnostics-Performance 100 Boot Performance Monitoring

Warning 6/13/2010 12:43:45 AM Diagnostics-Performance 203 Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Critical 6/12/2010 2:15:46 PM Diagnostics-Performance 100 Boot Performance Monitoring

Error 6/11/2010 3:50:21 AM Diagnostics-Performance 203 Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Warning 6/11/2010 3:50:21 AM Diagnostics-Performance 200 Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Warning 6/11/2010 12:00:57 AM Diagnostics-Performance 200 Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Critical 6/10/2010 10:42:35 PM Diagnostics-Performance 100 Boot Performance Monitoring

There are litteraly hundreds of these critical errors dating back to August of 2009 but I only bought the computer in Feb 2010. I took everything out of a sealed  box with sealed plastic covering the notebook. But I'm wondering now if it was returned to manufacturer before I owned it.

Please help me I can not afford to have both my computers broken as my livelihood depends on it.

Of course, it's just my opinion....I could be wrong!
    • Edited by pippin33 Monday, July 12, 2010 6:15 AM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi pippin33,

I suggest that you contact HP support for guidance on a full system restore\recovery. Find your specific model version of the DV6 and locate this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3987491

Start-up and shutdown should happen normally, especially with a new computer. (Less than 45 seconds startup, typically faster)

They pulled the "create your own or order system recovery disk" routine, so you are left with the recovery partition method.

If you have the Windows 7 installation disk, boot from it, and select repair the system.

Quite possibly, there is a BIOS and\or multiple driver updates. Let HP guide you on that before diving in on your own.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, June 18, 2010 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, June 25, 2010 8:04 AM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi pippin33,

I suggest that you contact HP support for guidance on a full system restore\recovery. Find your specific model version of the DV6 and locate this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3987491

Start-up and shutdown should happen normally, especially with a new computer. (Less than 45 seconds startup, typically faster)

They pulled the "create your own or order system recovery disk" routine, so you are left with the recovery partition method.

If you have the Windows 7 installation disk, boot from it, and select repair the system.

Quite possibly, there is a BIOS and\or multiple driver updates. Let HP guide you on that before diving in on your own.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, June 18, 2010 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, June 25, 2010 8:04 AM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Hi Nano Warp

thanks for the link. I suspect this is an issue with WINDOWS though because I have been looking all over this forum and found quite a few with either the same issue or very similar. The others have different hardware too. I will check out your advice but I read somewhere that it might have to do with the speed step in bios? I even read one that said it was a WINDOWS issue but it doesn't harm your computer they said Microsoft is working on it and to ignore it in the meantime.... Of course NOW, I can't find it - murphy's law.... Also it's not limited to WINDOWS 7 apparantly certain versions of VISTA are having same issue. Ill let you know what I find out.

I am concerned that there are alot of event dates going back to Aug 2009 - THAT is definitely something I want to ask HP about because this is supposed to be a brand new computer.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

this means, your Windows boots too slowly and als otakes to long to shutdown.

Follow my guide here to improve the boot time:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

follow my guide here to make a boot and shutdown trace:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247

and compress the 2 trace files as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive and post the link here. I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Hello Pippin33

I'm curious to know if you have solved the boot errors you experience
    on your computer.

Though the problem does not seem harmful, it takes 2 to 3 times longer
    to boot than is necessary.

To task:

I have two accounts on my computer that I log in and out of regularly.
    One account is Admin, the other a standard user.

If I delete the numbered Trace.fx files found in C:\Windows\Prefetch
    \ReadyBoot, and only use one account, boot time returns to normal and
    the errors cease.

Somewhat of a solution was posted suggesting to turn off Prefetch,
    leaving Superfetch to run alone. I believe that while this works,
    it creates an inoperablility.

If you might be so kind to respond, and think it relevant, I'm curious
    to know if there are commonalities.

Do you log in and out of more than one account on your machine?

Does your computer have Intel Turbo Memory? (the flash memory chip
    which provides memory for Ready Boost and Ready Drive)

Do you know if you have proprietary hardware and/or drivers?

I'd very much like to find a solution, so perhaps we can create a new
    post and hope that a Tech can respond.

Friday, June 18, 2010 10:41 AM
  • ok I'm back I'm sorry I've been gone so long. I have had other issues with my online backup. I was trying to get into my norton account for a month but no matter how many times I changed my password I couldn't get in. I'm a graphic artist that works from home and my major pc died 2 months ago. I had this laptop I bought in Feb 2010 but I had not used it much because I don't understand a lot of windows 7 stuff. Now, I'm using it and trying to get my pictures from my online backup - so many issues and no time to deal with them....

I'm going to try some of the things above that have been suggested but I'm sure it will not take care of all the errors I have.

Will let you know how it goes.

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

this means, your Windows boots too slowly and als otakes to long to shutdown.

Follow my guide here to improve the boot time:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

follow my guide here to make a boot and shutdown trace:

and compress the 2 trace files as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive and post the link here. I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Andre,

hi - I haven't done this yet - what is a skydrive? Are you saying that because it takes too long to startup and shut down that's what is causing a lot of these errors?

Also, I followed your link above but I don't understand some of it. I've copied & pasted it below to ask you some questions. I put my questions in BOLD and ITALIC  type.

To get started you need the Windows Performance Tools Kit. Sadly Microsoft removed the stand alone installer from download. To get the installer, you have to install the Windows 7 SDK.

What is Windows 7 SDK? Is that the disc with the Operating System on it? Because this laptop came already loaded with Windows 7. I made a recovery disc would the Windows Performance Tool Kit be on there? I seem to recall the instructions saying something about putting extra tools on the recovery disc when I created it from my laptop.

Download the Web Installer and select the Win32 Development Tools and install them. Now go to the path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\bin

and look for the 3 files wpt_ia64.msi, wpt_x64.msi and wpt_x86.msi. Now install the MSI which meets your Windows (IA64 if you're running an Itanium Windows, x64 if you run a 64Bit Windows Vista/7/Server 2008 (R2) or x86 if you run a 32Bit Vista/7/Server 2008).

I don't understand any of this (above) I'm using Windows7 on this pc. (laptop) I don't know what IA64 is or Itanium Windows. All I know is the OS is Windows7 64bit. I don't have a server either. I've tried find out if we have one but no one in my home knows. I'm using a wireless connection and I thought I was suppost to be on a network but I don't think the person who set up our wireless network did it right because my computer tells me I'm set up as a WORKGROUP and not a network. I also think I have some hardware issues because my screen is blinking every couple of hours and I had called HP a few weeks ago - they walked me thru updating a driver for my display and for awhile it was fine but now it's blinking again.

To get a better boot performance make sure that EnablePrefetcher registry setting is not disabled and that the ReadyBoost service (under Vista) is running and set to start automatically.

Now open an elevated command prompt and run the following command:

don't know what an elevated cp is either.

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

Now your PC will be restarted 6 times. After the second reboot the MS defragmentation program is running and is placing the files into an optimized layout, so that Windows will boot up faster (for the description read what ReadyBoot is). The last Reboots are training of readyBoot. After the training is finished, you'll notice a huge improvement in startup.

Note! DON'T USE OTHER DEFRAGMENTATION PROGRAMS AFTER THE OPTIMIZATION, USE ONLY THE INCLUDED MS TOOL, BECAUSE EVERY TOOL PLACES THE FILES AT A DIFFERENT OFFSET ON YOUR HDD, BECAUSE ALL TOOL THINK THEY KNOW IT BETTER!

Will it restart 6 times by itself? and when it says don't use other defrag programs after optimization does that mean NEVER use my Windows defrag that's already installed? And if so will I be able to find the defrag program easily from the tool kit? Finally, are you sure it's ok for me to use these instructions because they seem to be for VISTA which I don't have?

Background: With Windows XP, MS implemented a prefetcher which loads data into the RAM, when the CPU was busy, starting services, drivers, so that they are already loaded when they are needed in later stages of the boot process.

With Vista, MS improved this prefetcher and named it ReadyBoot:

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hello Pippin33

I'm curious to know if you have solved the boot errors you experience
    on your computer.

Though the problem does not seem harmful, it takes 2 to 3 times longer
    to boot than is necessary.

To task:

I have two accounts on my computer that I log in and out of regularly.
    One account is Admin, the other a standard user.

If I delete the numbered Trace.fx files found in C:\Windows\Prefetch
    \ReadyBoot, and only use one account, boot time returns to normal and
    the errors cease.

If you might be so kind to respond, and think it relevant, I'm curious
    to know if there are commonalities.

Do you log in and out of more than one account on your machine?

Does your computer have Intel Turbo Memory? (the flash memory chip
    which provides memory for Ready Boost and Ready Drive)

Do you know if you have proprietary hardware and/or drivers?

I'd very much like to find a solution, so perhaps we can create a new
    post and hope that a Tech can respond.

Broke_It -

I have Trace1.fx, 2.fx, 8.fx, 9.fx, and 10.fx files in my C/Windows/Prefetch/Readyboot folder are you saying I should delete all but one file?  And which one. They all have a different weight/size (some are 4mb up to 5mb) Also, 3 of them were created yesterday 7/11/10.

I have never signed in out of different accounts I'm the only one who uses my computer. Specs are above. As far as the proprietary  hardware goes I don't know. I can tell you that I have a samsung hard drive in an HP notebook . so I'm inclined to think no it's not all proprietary. But I don't know where to look for that info as well as the Turbo Flash Memory Chip. Tell me where to look and I will do my best to find the answers to your questions.

There are many many errors in my error log that don't have anything to do with boot time as well. This has been going on since before I bought the computer. I have asked HP about those dates that were from last year. I was told the laptop wasn't even made until Oct/Nov so the August 2009 error log is a mystery.....don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about or if they're just not being honest.

thanks

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi, well you may have provided a clue. You mentioned getting into your Norton account. Is a Norton security product installed on this computer?

If yes, visit the Norton site and update it to the latest version. The older, prior to 2010 version, cause slow performance in Windows 7.

If no, which security product(s) are you using?

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:00 AM
  • I've posted alternative links to the WPT:

Elevated means running a program with admin rights (Run as Administrator).

Every LiveID (the email you use to sign in here to the forums) has a SkyDrive: http://skydrive.live.com/

Sign in with your LiveID and you can upload 25GB of data and share them with your friends.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Hi Nano

I checked to see if I have the most current version by clicking a link in my NIV program. It says I do but when I checked the Help/About menu it gives me  version number 17.7.0.12 and then at the buttom it says "copyright 1997-2009. So I put the question in at the forum there and am waiting for a reply. I will let you know.

thanks

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Hi Nano

I checked to see if I have the most current version by clicking a link in my NIV program. It says I do but when I checked the Help/About menu it gives me  version number 17.7.0.12 and then at the buttom it says "copyright 1997-2009. So I put the question in at the forum there and am waiting for a reply. I will let you know.

thanks

Here's the link to determine if you need and are eligible for upgrade: https://renewals.symantec.com/renewals/application?source_code=WEB&entry_point=sym_lrc&inid=us_estore or find that link in support for your market.

If it's not a product named 2010 or 360, you probably need an update.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Have you finally made the trace?

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:06 PM
  • In regard to deleting the numbered Trace.fx files, deleting all of them

returned boot time to normal. This had the same effect as that of the

SysPrep tool used to 'optimize' the boot process, both are only temporary

fixes (and a pain). Once I log in and out of more than one local account,

I'm back to square one.

To date, the best result I've achieved has been to disable the Intel Turbo

Memory Module in my laptop which provides Ready Boot and Ready Disk

functionality. I disabled DFOROM Robson Technology within the computer

Bios, then uninstalled the Intel Turbo Memory and Intel Matrix Storage

package. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager by itself.

There are far fewer Performance degradation events now.

One thing I see to be common, is that at least 90% of the computers with this

issue are laptops (HP, Alienware).

I'm still searching for a solid solution and I'll reply to your post if it is still

available and if there is still interest in the subject.
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:33 AM
  • To: Pippin33

This topic (boot performance) has been posted many times which is why I'm following

your post. If you find a solution, you surely deserve the prize.

To elaborate a bit on Intel Matrix Storage..

I was reading some of the troubleshooting posts in the forum such as 'errors

verifying Known Folders'. This is what led me to re-install Intel Matrix Storage.

Even though it seems unrelated, this action has reduced the boot errors.

I don't purport that this is what you should do, I'm relaying what I have tried in

the hope of being helpful.

Mr. A. Ziegler has responded to several of the performance questions and asked the

individuals for boot traces. I have started a discussion asking him to share any

helpful information from that experience.

FYI: An idividual named Martin Malik authored a utility to display the main hardware

that comprises a computer. It's slick, and it's free.

http://www.hwinfo.com for HwInfo32 portable

Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:23 PM