none
How to measure performance after enabling Spectre / Meldown reg keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After enabling below reg keys how do I measure the performance to understand how much its impacting us. Is there a parameter I can capture? what process/benchmark tool should I run to see what was the performance before vs now. So basically Ill need 1 capture before enabling the keys and 1 capture after enabling the keys. Any suggestions?

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

In order to get professional support from the proper forum: would you please tell me which operation system are you using?

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:07 AM
  • We are on "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bit Edition Service Pack 1"

Friday, September 27, 2019 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

I have done some research on this , did't find any Official document for this.

I would recommend you use the performance monitor tool to monitor the difference between before and after enabling the  keys

For your reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Ask-The-Performance-Team/Windows-Performance-Monitor-Overview/ba-p/375481

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Thanks Fan,

I checked this earlier (perfmon) but after enabling the reg keys I did not notice and performance different when I checked "\Processor Information(_Total)\%Processor Time" . So I was wondering if there is some process / script/ program I can run before and after enabling the keys to find the difference. Any suggestions

Monday, September 30, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

Since your question is more related to the performance ,i would recommend you refer to experts from the following forum to get professional support:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservergen

Best Regards,

Fan

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:17 AM
  • We finally used passmark software to evaluate the performace. Its a really cool tool which provide graphs and tell the performance difference. Thanks all

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the resolution!

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Fan

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:31 AM