none
Driver support for Epson RX500 Printer using Windows 7 64 bit.

Question

• Short History:

Dell XPS Studio 9000/435T
    Upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista 64 bit.
    Printer worked previously on Vista.
    When printer is hooked up windows update searches for a driver and tries to install and then fails. If I search for a driver without using Windows update I get the same failure.
    No driver available for download from Epson website.
    Spoke with Dell tech support, they were unable to resolve. Said to contact Epson.
    Epson support no help at all.

Here are Epson support's replies:

Response (Michael Galicia) 11/03/2009 11:34 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to contact Epson. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

If the Epson drivers were not installed from the Windows 7 Install disk, you'll have to contact Microsoft on instructions on how to install the drivers from the Install disk.
    Response (Ma. Katrina Jessa G) 10/30/2009 02:18 PM

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Photo RX500.

I do apologize if you are having some difficulties finding a driver for your printer. Epson is proud to partner with Microsoft Corporation in support of the Windows 7 operating system. In doing so, Epson has further advanced its products to align harmoniously with the various technologies in Windows 7, providing the richest experience yet of any of the Windows operating systems. Please check this site:  US: http://epson.com/support/windows7 periodically for updates regarding availability of certified Windows 7 drivers, software updates, and user instructions.

If you are using the release candidate version of Windows 7 and wish to obtain drivers for your Epson product, please select your model from our Support Home Page, then download and install the Windows Vista driver, which is compatible with Windows 7*.

* Some Epson product features are not supported using Vista drivers with the release candidate version of Windows 7. Please check back here for Windows 7 drivers for your product once Windows 7 is formally released.

From the Epson windows 7 compatibility chart. 

Download from Epson.com = Many Windows 7 drivers are available for download from Epson. If your model lists a driver available for download, click the green check mark to return to the Windows 7 Support page, select your model and follow the steps. If available, this is the recommended method.

Built-in Windows 7 driver = Many drivers are included with Windows 7. Simply connect your Epson product to your Windows 7 computer and follow the on-screen instructions. If there is both a Built-in Windows 7 and a Download from Epson.com method available, choose the download method.

Windows Update = Epson provided some drivers to Microsoft which they've made available via their Windows Update (Internet connection required). Simply connect your Epson product to your Windows 7 computer and follow the on-screen instruction.

My model, epson stylus photo RX500 says in this chart that there is a built in windows 7 driver included in windows 7.
    So, are there indeed drivers on the windows 7 install disc, and if so how do I install them?

Thanks, John.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please also try the following:

1.    Click Start, clicking Control Panel, select “Devices and Printers”. (You can also go to “Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers”.)

2.    Click “Add a printer”.

3.    In the Add Printer Wizard, click “Add a local printer”.

4.    On the Choose a printer port page, make sure that the Use an existing port option button and the recommended printer port are selected, and then click Next.

5.    On the Install the printer driver page, select “Epson”, in the right frame select “Epson Stylus Photo RX500 (M)” and then click Next.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:25 AM

All replies

• That's a pretty disappointing response.

The Microsoft compatibility list:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Epson%20Stylus%20Photo%20RX500%20All-in-One%20Printer&v=Epson&uid=C11C544001&pf=0&pi=0&s=epson%20rx500&os=32-bit

suggests that Win7 does not include drivers for the RX500.

If you search for drivers at:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

there are Vista X64 drivers shown. They're newer (11/2/2006) than any drivers I could see at Epson.

You may be able to use them under Win7 X64.

(Extract the .cab file with a utility like 7zip, which is free/open source, and available in a 64 bit version.)

Good luck.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Hi John,

I have also checked EPSON site and found there is no Windows 7 driver for this printer currently:

Epson Stylus Photo RX500 All-in-One Printer

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

As we know, to get a device work, a proper driver is necessary, so a driver for Windows 7 from EPSON is needed. Alternatively, please try the drivers for Windows Vista x64 and Windows XP x64 to see how it works.

If the issue persists, it is still recommended that you contact EPSON regarding this.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:55 AM
  • I have contacted Epson, and their response to me, which I posted above, is that Windows 7 has drivers built in that should have been installed from the Windows 7 install disc.

I said to them, "That's great. If there are indeed drivers available, please provide them to me."

Epson says: " Contact microsoft to load the drivers from you windows 7 install disc."

What a bunch of B.S.

I'll be sure to never purchase another Epson product again.

Thanks for all the replies. I welcome any other advice.

John.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please also try the following:

1.    Click Start, clicking Control Panel, select “Devices and Printers”. (You can also go to “Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers”.)

2.    Click “Add a printer”.

3.    In the Add Printer Wizard, click “Add a local printer”.

4.    On the Choose a printer port page, make sure that the Use an existing port option button and the recommended printer port are selected, and then click Next.

5.    On the Install the printer driver page, select “Epson”, in the right frame select “Epson Stylus Photo RX500 (M)” and then click Next.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:25 AM
  • I am having this same problem with the Epson RX500 printer with Windows 7 32bit...   Driver downloads but fails during install, does not give a reason, says to contact manufacturer.  I have an open issue with Epson, but so far their answer has basically been "not our problem, contact microsoft"...   Drivers for the RX500 for Windows 7 are not available from Epson, only from microsoft install.    It finds the driver and attempts to install, then get a message saying that the driver install failed.  drivers for the scanner are installed and the scanner does work, but not the printer. 

I tried the above recommendation to add a printer,  printer adds and it is listed as an available printer,but when I try to print,nothing happens, go back to devices and printers and it says to troubleshoot the printer, do so and it says that a print job is holding up the printer and it deletes it, and printer shows ready again, but still will not print.  

Any suggestions?   Only solution I can thing of right now is to throw this epson printer in the trash and buy a new printer.   I'll never buy another epson product for sure!!!

thanks
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I did manage to get this printer to work, no thanks to epson.

I could see the printer in the "device manager". It was listed under "imaging devices". Right click the device and select "update driver software", then choose "browse my computer for software". I searched the hard drive (C:) and got 5 results. The first result did not work, but the second one did. Printer registered as "epson stylus photo rx510.

It is beyond me why this driver is unable to be installed automatically, or why epson refuses to describe in more detail how to get it to work with windows 7. The printer intalled automatically just fine using vista.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:31 AM
  • jptbay is spot on. After spending the better part of the day pounding my head against the Epson RX500 Windows 7 wall. I came upon jptbay's solution to this problem with a slight various.

After trying his fix, which did not work. I disconnected the USB cable, uninstalled the printer then turned my computer off. Upon restart, my computer recognized the RX500 as an Epson RX510. I have since printed a MS Word document.

I found the Epson UK website to be a lot more helpful than their North American one.

My response from Epson less than satisfactory, too.

• Proposed as answer by Pugranch Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:08 PM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Epson driver page and windows update were no help in locating the correct driver, and no one gave a valid file path for the driver .inf file (i don't like searching without filenames)

Printer is locally attached to an XP pro system and shared, I did not want to connect locally to my laptop to install the proper driver. located this driver file from X-drivers and was able to install the printer with no fuss. Driver is unsigned but working without errors

http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/multifunction_devices/companies/epson/models/stylus_photo_rx500/wrong_code/14485.html

Hope this helps,

• Proposed as answer by Silkn Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:30 AM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:29 AM
  • After upgrading to Windows 7 I went through this same nightmare of trying to get my RX500 to install.  I found wbtravis5152 fix and tried it. Disconnected the USB cable from the computer, uninstalled the printer and all software that I had previously tried. Turned computer off. Plugged printer back in and restarted computer. Turned printer on and it installed without a hitch!! It shows as a RX500.  Thanks for your tip!

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I recently upgraded my HP notebook to Windows 7 and have been reinsalling software as I have needed it.  Today I needed my RX500.  Of course, the original sisk would not install, no big deal.  Epson didn't have a new driver but I installed the scanner software and PrintSmart while I was there.  Then I googled "RX500 Windows 7 Driver" and found this thread right away.  Based on the information here, I just turned my printer on, which I had not done previously, and all the necessary drivers installed in less that 30 seconds.  I'm up and running.  I really don't understand why so many are having such trouble.  Anyway, thanks for all your posts, they fixed my computer right up.
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:01 AM