• Question

• Hey all,

here's what i did:

1) installed Brand new 1803, installed all updates

2) Installed Office 2013, installed all updates

3) Removed all Provisioned Apps

4) Created an unattend.xml

5) sysprep /oobe /reboot /generalize /unattend:unattend.xml

Now this worked, however after i ran through the OOBE, the new account I created in the OOBE wizard had all the Apps installed which I had removed before running Sysprep (E.G. Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage) So why did these apps get installed?!?!

Another odd thing is if I run Get-AppxProvisionedPackage, after the OOBE its blank, but Get-AppxPackage shows all the apps are installed.

What the heck happened?!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 5:46 PM

Answers

• The main thing was I was missing -online in both places before and after the pipe for unprovisiong the apps.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Monday, August 27, 2018 10:53 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 10:53 PM

All replies

• What did you remove?  If you mean the default Start tile not-productivity stuff like Candy Crush, you don't remove them that way.  You would use LayoutModification.xml to remove the placeholders for these things.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:24 PM
  • Removed all preprovisioned Apps:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | remove-AppxProvisionedPackage

and they all came back, I even ran this awesome Decrapifier from SpiceWorks

However I noticed the following:

The Provisioned Apps do get removed, however when I create a new local account and login with that new local account after running the decrapifier or removing all provisioned apps myself with the above powershell commands, any new profile accounts still gets all the provisioned apps installed, I've complained about these nuances before (about apps that are not even provisioned) now this is just adding an additional layer of frustration. Clearly I'm not the only one experiencing issues with UAP apps and Sysprep, the whole thing has become a terrible gong show with endless references to the problems its caused from day one, and theres a simple solution MS can do!

That is don't provision Windows with these terrible apps, keep them to manual install via the app store... done!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:44 PM
  • Correct.  Because as I said, you don't remove those apps in that way.

On a new install, Win10 will check C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayouts.xml.  It uses this to figure out what to install in the placeholder spots on the Start menu.  These are all the things that show as down arrows if you OOBE without an internet connection.

You don't mess with this file though.  You create LayoutModification.xml which can remove these tiles so they NEVER show up, and as such, they never download the app associated with them.

This will only work on the placeholder tiles, which is most of the not-productivity stuff.  It doesn't affect Solitaire for whatever reason, nor "system components" like xBox and Photos etc.  It's just those Start tiles.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Sorry,

I really appropriate you trying to help,but you answer doesn't make sense...

from everything I read this is exactly how you remove those apps, so removing them when they have already been installed you use:

Get-AppxPackage -Name nameofpackage | remove-Appxpackage

This is the exact same as right clicking the app in the Start menu and selecting Uninstall.

The guide further goes on to state that to prevent these auto install you have to un-provision them using:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage

As quoted from the guide "From now on, if a new user logs on to the machine, the only app that will be installed is Edge."

From my testing however and from this post that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Based on your reply I don't understand how the start menu layout has anything to do with those app sin which get installed, regardless if they are suppose to be in those place holders (much like you said if no internet connection they show down arrows) so If I unprovision an app, and the layout stays defaulted it should place a blank "down arrow" place holder, NOT install those apps, as there is no provisioned app for it to even be installed from....

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

You can remove provisioned apps using script. This should be for all users.

For more information, refer to the following:

http://ccmexec.com/2015/08/removing-built-in-apps-from-windows-10-using-powershell/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:23 AM
  • You need to use Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -AllUsers key when deleting apps.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 4:25 PM
  • I'll def give that a shot as well, however I did mange to get what I wanted using completely unsupported methods

1) Install 1803 Windows 10 + All updates

2) Install Office 2013 + All Updates

3) Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

4) Run the 1803 decrapifier from Spiceworks (finishes reg settings and removes onedrive)

5) Modify the profile of the only admin account to how I want the default profile to be (Change Start Menu and Taskbar icons).

6) Create another account (required since Forensics DefProf command requires the account to not be logged on)

7) Log on as such account and re-do steps 3 and 4

8) Use Forensics DefProf to set User1's Profile to the default profile

9) reboot, login as user 1 and delete user 2

10) Run "Sysprep /oobe /reboot (or /shutdown) /generalize"

11) Run through OOBE (Cortana will not have a voice, but audio will still work).

12) When you log into the newly created account from OOBE enjoy as it has a clean start layout, taskbar, and no annoying provisioned apps! At least they weren't there in the start menu... I didn't actually run "Get-AppxPackage" to verify will do that first thing tomorrow. :D

• Edited by Zewwy Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:10 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:06 PM
  • The main thing was I was missing -online in both places before and after the pipe for unprovisiong the apps.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Monday, August 27, 2018 10:53 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 10:53 PM