none
Formatting & Removal of Hard Disk Partition Unrecognized to Delete RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem of recognizing a disk drive on my PC, that has no letter. My PC is capable of "reset" of Windows 8.1 Pro & have done so (3) times, with a unrecognized disk drive that's been on my hard drive, since I "rolled back" Windows 10 free upgrade back in 2017. Before the Windows 10 upgrade, my PC showed (3) disk drives to optimize defrag.   I now have (4) drives showing to optimize, and the drive in question is just 7.96 GB of volume with a (question mark), that's 50% fragmented and won't optimize. The disk drive in question won't format or delete, to seek TechNet advice on how to remove it safely. I think this recovery partition is "excess" on my PC, and needs to be removed. A (photo-A) screenshot of my optimize drives program panel, will show the drive in question to remove.

Signed: Lee V Payne - 8/18/2019 - 7:24 AM EST. 

Lee Payne

Sunday, August 18, 2019 11:25 AM

Answers

• From your description you appear to have a single HDD with four partitions. That is typical for a Win 10 PC and I assume that rolling back to Win 8.1 would not delete any partitions.

The common partitions with Win 10 are: System, Reserved, Windows (the C: drive) and Recovery. The last of these is typically the size you are trying to delete, the first two are small and very small.

Only the Windows partition should have a drive letter and can be defragmented. You should not attempt to give the others drive letters or to defragment them. Unless you are short of space on the C: drive it is best to just leave the 7.96 GB partition as it is.

If you really want to remove it and add the space to the C: drive I suggest you download one of the free disk utilities such as MiniTool Partition Wizard. This is more informative and flexible than Windows Disk Management and much easier to use than the command line disk tools.

• Marked as answer by lee vernon Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:02 PM
    Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:03 PM

All replies

• From your description you appear to have a single HDD with four partitions. That is typical for a Win 10 PC and I assume that rolling back to Win 8.1 would not delete any partitions.

The common partitions with Win 10 are: System, Reserved, Windows (the C: drive) and Recovery. The last of these is typically the size you are trying to delete, the first two are small and very small.

Only the Windows partition should have a drive letter and can be defragmented. You should not attempt to give the others drive letters or to defragment them. Unless you are short of space on the C: drive it is best to just leave the 7.96 GB partition as it is.

If you really want to remove it and add the space to the C: drive I suggest you download one of the free disk utilities such as MiniTool Partition Wizard. This is more informative and flexible than Windows Disk Management and much easier to use than the command line disk tools.

• Marked as answer by lee vernon Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:02 PM
    Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:03 PM
  • Its little-to-late, as I seem to have forgotten to insert some important screenshots about this question with tech advice. The screenshots might have changed the outcome of advice about using the Partition Mini Tool.

Anyway, Its live-&-learn with the PC business.

Signed: lee vernon payne -8/24/19 - 2:10 PM - EST.

Lee Payne

Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:10 PM