none
"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok"

Question

• When I tried to install windows 7 Home premium (Dell) on my pc, I get this message...All it gives is only OK, Cancel and Browse options...I tried browsing everywhere in my pc but it didn't solve that...Hope someone would help me...

The actual message is:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.  Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."  <Browse> <OK> <Cancel>

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:40 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:23 AM

Answers

• I have had the same problem on an Acer laptop.  My issue was that I tried to install via the USB 3.0 port.  Both external dvd and usb/iso failed.  Iserting the USB stick into the USB 2.0 port, and installed flawlessly.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In most cases, this issue can be caused due to the Windows 7 installation media is corrupted. You can try using another DVD or downloading the .ISO file again to check the results.

You may try to check the DVD drive.

If it does not help, you can copy the installation file to a USB device and boot from the USB device to install Windows 7 again.

How to create a Windows 7 USB drive Installation media?

========================================

First of all you should have a 4GB (or larger) USB drive. Since the steps will clear all your files and data in this USB drive, you need to backup them first.

1. In Windows Vista or Windows 7, open an elevated command prompt and run the following commands one by one:

a)    Diskpart

b)    list disk

You can identify your USB drive by its size. For example, it is disk 1.

c)    select disk 1

Select your USB drive.

d)    clean

Clear it.

e)    create partition primary

f)    select partition 1

g)    active

Mark this partition as an active boot partition. This will enable this USB drive bootable.

h)    format fs=ntfs quick

2. After formatting the USB drive, copy all the files in the DVD to the USB drive.

3. Reboot the computer and set it to boot from USB drive. Then, the computer will boot from this USB drive and you can start your installation with it.

Some of such issues are caused due to the hardware factor, we can also try upgrading DVD-ROM firmware to narrow down the issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:19 AM
  • I have had the same problem on an Acer laptop.  My issue was that I tried to install via the USB 3.0 port.  Both external dvd and usb/iso failed.  Iserting the USB stick into the USB 2.0 port, and installed flawlessly.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:07 AM
  • eriktar's reply was exactly it.

Trying to upgrade Samsung series 9 laptops to windows 7 pro and had the same issue. Plugged the external dvd player to USB 2.0 and it worked. (wasn't working in the USB 3.0 port)

Edit: why do people such as Sabrina mark their own reply as correct? I don't understand this.. their 'answer' has nothing to do with solving the actual issue!
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Thank you so much eriktar. I had the same problem with a customer build computer and it is most USB 3.0. Installing now with USB2.0 
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Thanks Erik that was the problem and the solution
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Same problem on my old Dell D610 where I haven't USB3.

Solved by making partition Active. When starting installation go to "Repair your computer" option and select "Use recovery tools...". Select CMD and then use Diskpart utility:

Diskpart

List disk

Select disk N (where N-is your disk number)

List partition

Select partition N (where N - is partition where going to install Windows)

Active

End

End

Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi guys, I had the same problem. It was from an old DVD I created at least a yr ago. The problem is the DVD is bad. Some of the files are corrupted. All you have to do is burn another DVD from the ISO that you downloaded. In other words, get another win 7 copy and you'll be smoothing sailing again. Don't waste time thinking yr CD or DVD rom is not working. I see this question all over the internet and its really means yr DVD is bad. Just make another one. Make sure you save your original copy of win 7 to a USB device that's 4 gb or more so you can always burn more copies of win 7 installation disc when yr pc is out of commission. Chungtastic
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:45 PM
  • I was installing from downloaded ISO burned to DVD and got the error message. After retrying booting to the Windows 7 DVD for the third time, I removed my wireless mouse device from the USB and it worked.

Joel

• Proposed as answer by JoshJ2000 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Hi man, 

I have created a user in this site just to say that the eriktar answer worked for me. Thanks a lot. Finally could install it. :D

Sunday, June 09, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Thank you Erik!!!!! :D 
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:45 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me too!
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:23 PM
  • I just recently ran into this issue, also. I would love to try your method, however, my laptop only has 2 USB 3.0 ports. No USB 2.0 at all. Please advise.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 7:51 AM
  • Thanks Eriktar. That was a damned good start point for me.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Thanks Sabrina.  Turns out mine was a bad DVD disk, but the USB solution you provided worked wonderfully.

Greatly appreciate your post.

• Proposed as answer by rodaf Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:17 AM
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Yup! Exactly! Just move the USB to another port and it will eventually work!
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Just wanted to say it's a year later and this was spot on!
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Thank you so much ;) you are my life saver!
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:25 PM
  • install using a usb media(pendrive) use windows 7 usb dvd tool to flash iso into usb media... As you are using a dell laptop you can perform installation from one usb port only if you recieve the same error change the USB port and restart laptop one USB must be capable of detecting :) njoy
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Uhh thx dude, had the same problem, solvedddd...
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Putting USB in USB 2.0 port helped on my HP EliteBook 8560p.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:38 PM
  • ty sabrina its my first time from usb didnt know it,worked ,ty again!!!
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

In most cases, this issue can be caused due to the Windows 7 installation media is corrupted. You can try using another DVD or downloading the .ISO file again to check the results.

You may try to check the DVD drive.

If it does not help, you can copy the installation file to a USB device and boot from the USB device to install Windows 7 again.

How to create a Windows 7 USB drive Installation media?

========================================

First of all you should have a 4GB (or larger) USB drive. Since the steps will clear all your files and data in this USB drive, you need to backup them first.

1. In Windows Vista or Windows 7, open an elevated command prompt and run the following commands one by one:

a)    Diskpart

b)    list disk

You can identify your USB drive by its size. For example, it is disk 1.

c)    select disk 1

Select your USB drive.

d)    clean

Clear it.

e)    create partition primary

f)    select partition 1

g)    active

Mark this partition as an active boot partition. This will enable this USB drive bootable.

h)    format fs=ntfs quick

2. After formatting the USB drive, copy all the files in the DVD to the USB drive.

3. Reboot the computer and set it to boot from USB drive. Then, the computer will boot from this USB drive and you can start your installation with it.

Some of such issues are caused due to the hardware factor, we can also try upgrading DVD-ROM firmware to narrow down the issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 31, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Thank you so much! This helped!
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:17 PM
  • Same problem on my old Dell D610 where I haven't USB3.

Solved by making partition Active. When starting installation go to "Repair your computer" option and select "Use recovery tools...". Select CMD and then use Diskpart utility:

Diskpart

List disk

Select disk N (where N-is your disk number)

List partition

Select partition N (where N - is partition where going to install Windows)

Active

End

End

I tried this and not only did it not help it made it so I can't boot into windows at all any more. I get a message that says "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I was thankfully able to fix it however. Still getting the error from the OP though.
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:00 PM
  • thanks m8! I would never tough that this would be the problem... saved the day
    Friday, April 04, 2014 8:35 PM
  • thanks m8! I would never tough that this would be the problem... saved the day
    Friday, April 04, 2014 8:36 PM
  • With my laptop Dell Vostro 3560. When I install windows 7 using USB.  I go to BIOS and set USB debug to Enable. It's work like a charm !
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:20 PM
  • For me switching the USB port worked but I wasn't using usb3.0 before the switch? Thanks anyway!
    Friday, September 05, 2014 8:25 AM
  • THANK YOU.  This one tiny comment saved me a huge headache.  I didn't even realize that the port I had the flash drive in was USB3.0, but when I looked, sure enough, I saw blue.  I'm guessing that Win7 doesn't preload a complete enough USB3 driver to be able to deal with the installation media being connected that way.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:47 PM
  • I did think a hopefull answer , but alas in my case i didn't work.

( new toshiba satellite C50D-B , dvd-less)

Saturday, October 11, 2014 2:45 PM
  • the answer did NOT work for me :(

and ...  just "   format fs=ntfs quick" does NOT produce a bootable stick Sabrina

why do you rate your own answers ? ( and why is this possible at all ? )

just point hungry i guess ?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thank you. your suggestion is really help me. after I plug to USB 2.0, all work fine. thanks again.

From Indonesia.

Rahmat

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:45 AM
  • This resolved my issue for the same issue described above.

Thank you so much!!

Sunday, August 02, 2015 11:21 PM
  • worked for me too. Thanks for the great help :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:21 PM
  • yeah it worked, In case if PC does not has USB2.0, can browsing & installing usb3.0 drive help?
    Friday, August 14, 2015 6:35 AM
  • Go to boot menu and disable virtualization. That's it, you are good to go.
    Friday, August 28, 2015 7:28 AM
  • It's worked.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 7:56 AM
  • Thanks!! It worked like a charm !!
    Friday, December 11, 2015 11:44 PM
  • I had same issue on my dell inspiron 5558
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:09 AM
  • You the man ...savior!
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:18 PM
  • How come!! why does this happen? any clue? thanks by the way
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:39 AM
  • thats great but i only have 7 usb 3.0    and 1 usb 3.1 port no usb 2 lol

Friday, June 03, 2016 7:59 AM
  • You might have already found a different solution by now, but just in case; check your BIOS and look for USB configuration or something similar. There should be an option to disable the USB 3.0 controller, which will make the ports act as 2.0. This worked for me with the Dell Latitude E5xxx series.
    Friday, June 24, 2016 6:52 PM
  • THANK YOU
    (insert thank you GIF here)
    Sunday, July 17, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Swapping to the USB 2.0 port worked for me. Thanks a bunch!
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 1:39 PM
  • This worked for me!!
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:34 AM
  • thanks erik my problem was solved.your comment made very helpful GoD Bless You!!
    Friday, July 07, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Ok, so I managed to find another solution online for those of you who still have the problem even after moving the drive to a USB 2.0 port. Apparently there is an utility tool that adds the usb drivers. Check the details below

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Faq/3459

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:12 PM
  • doing this with windows 10 had this problem, spent 3 hrs messing around with drivers and crap trying to find the proper ones. Nope, the mouse... 

wish I'd seen this sooner bc this was the problem

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:56 PM