Control windows feature updates, skip versions. "Deferred for x days" setting. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I want skip as many features updates as possible - at least one, better two.

So far I've always set the "Semi Annual Channel" and "deferred for 365 days".
    But that has the major disadvantage, that an older version is then installed in the case of a forced update.

For example, the version 1803 with the setting "deferred 365 days" is currently not being offered an update, even though it is EOL since november!
    At least it gets the monthly updates.
    In a few days (I tested it with the setting 354 days) it will get a feature update but not the version 1909 but version 1903.

However, fewer days cannot be set, otherwise a 1809 would (with the setting 200 days) currently get version 1903 even though the version 1809 will still receive updates until may.

I could start regularly a script which, depending on the date, setting the day to 0 to get the latest version... but then I would also have to check the version, not that the update has already been done.

Or just trust, that Microsoft keeps its promise and no longer will force feature updates exept the version used is EOL?

As it is e.g. is described here:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/410183/microsoft-abandons-windows-10s-forced-updates/
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/04/improving-the-windows-10-update-experience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/

How do you handle this, especially with devices which you install but then no longer have access to (like friends and family)?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin
    • Edited by m.fessler Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you setting "deferred 365 days" from the version 1803, then you will get the 1903 version rightly instead of 1909 version. It's normal, because from 1803 to 1903, the period time is just right one year(365 days).

We can trust the declaration from Microsoft.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, March 23, 2020 7:03 AM
  • We can trust the declaration from Microsoft.

Hi Kiki,

oh, I would love to believe that! :-|

A "funny" discovery during my tests with version 1903:

It seems, like a new feature update will only be offered optionally if the setting "deffered for x days" for feature updates or quality updates is set to 0.
    If you change only one of them to e.g. 1 day, 1909 will be installed automatically.

If that would only be the case with the first setting and it would be explained like this - I could understand it.
    But that the "promise" of Microsoft is invalid once you want to delay a quality update by just one day is just a joke!

Greetings,
    Martin
    Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:13 PM
  • I wonder that nobody has noticed the same thing yet?

Friday, March 27, 2020 9:23 PM