Scheduled task won't wake up laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Dell Inspiron 4150 running Windows XP Home, SP3. I can make it hibernate and wake up using the power button with no problem, but scheduled task won't wake it up.

Device manager shows it is runnining in ACPI mode.

Any reason for not waking up?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:17 PM

All replies

• Waking the computer up is a hardware command that a Windows/software command won't be able to execute since the system is actually off. Hibernation actually powers the computer down, whereas Standby Mode provides a low power state that commands such as this can run in.

Here's a link to a 3rd party application I found that seems to work just fine to do what you're tring to do, with both hibernation and standby: http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/download.php?what=WOSB

Instructions to use the program: http://www.ehow.com/how_5931146_scheduled-task-turn-computer.html

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010; MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Server Administrator; MCTS: System Center Data Protection Manager, Configuration; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration; MCTS: Windows Server Virtualization; MCTS: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, Configuration; MCTS: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0; CompTIA A+/Server+
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:58 PM
  • On Windows 7 ultimate, my laptop wakes only from sleep, hybrid sleep.
    And also wakes from hibernation only if AC Power has been continuously on (even if the laptop battery backup may be 100%) before the laptop going into hibernation.

Pls help. I think the laptop should not only wake up from hibernation (because of hybrid sleep option is on), but also if it was completely shut off.

I'm a power use and have checked up BIOS settings (the same ALLOW to the pc to be waken up).
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:01 AM
  • i have a similar issue, xp pro sp3 on various hardware.

if i create a power profile in control panel and set it to hibernate after one minute, the machine will hibernate after one minute and a scheduled task configured to wake the computer to run will do just that: wake the computer to run.

however if i run the command rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState  or "rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0" the computer will hibernate and a scheduled task will NOT wake it up.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:34 PM
  • John_Curtiss,

I have the same exact problem.  I can suspend the pc from my keyboard and scheduled tasks can wake the computer, but if I use powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 to standby the pc, scheduled tasks will NOT wake it up.

I don't understand why when the third bit set to 0, which is the bit that determines if the pc can wake or not.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:54 PM