Windows System Image Manager Error? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue trying to create an answer file through the WSIM. I locate the .wim I need and attempt to create the catalog file it needs first to do the task. However when I do attempt to create this catalog file I get the following error message:

There was an error generating a catalog file for the image ********* in Windows image file G:\RemoteInstall\Images\*******\*******.wim   

Keep in mind the *** are just substitutes for the actual names.

If I attempt to just create a new answer file I am prompted with the message box "Editing an answer file without opening a Windows Image will result in limited functionality. Do you want to open a Windows image file now?

I choose yes then open the image and am informed -

"The catalog file for ******** cannot be opened for the following reason: Cannot fine the catalog file associated with the Window image ****.  You must have a valid catalog file to continue. Do you want to create a catalog file?"

I click yes and then I get the same message as list on top. I am an admin on this box. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:26 PM

Answers

• Here is the solutio to the problem. I am posting this here because it seem to take alot of effort to provide what turned out to be a very, very simple solution. Thanks to Glen for posting this reply to my posting in the MS communities

You are trying to create a catalog file from a WIM stored in the WDS
    RemoteInstall folder structure. The files stored by WDS are not
    "standard" WIM files; instead WDS stores these as a "RWM" & "WIM"
    file. The RWM file is a reference WIM which contains the actual file
    data while the WIM is a metadata-only WIM. So WSIM cannot create a
    catalog from these structures. Follow the directions in this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936922

to EXPORT the files into a single WIM image to create your
    unattend.xml file.

Hope this helps!

Glenn Fincher

the solution was to export the image from the WDS server. Although Glen calls out that you can do this through the PE command line. You can also do this through the WDS interface. Just make sure you take the image offline first. Hope this can help somebody else as it did me!

Jason

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First I would like to confirm if you are using the latest version of WAIK –WAIK 1.1. If not, I suggest installing WAIK 1.1 from the following site:

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

In addition, please make sure you are generating a catalog file for a install.wim file. You cannot generate a catalog file for a boot.wim file.

Because of the changes in the servicing stack in Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008, Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) cannot create catalog files for some Windows images of different architecture types. The following list describes the Image Manager architecture types and catalogs that can be created for each one.

x86 Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.

x64 Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.

Itanium-based Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images. 

Please confirm if what version of Windows SIM you are using. I recommend installing x86 Windows SIM.

For more information, please refer to the following thread:

Parameter count mismatch - Windows SIM failed

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3066853&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:00 AM
  • This may be a crazy question. You state "use an install.wim not a boot.wim". Are you using the file name install.wim loosely? Mine have specific names, which I'm sure is ok?

I should also note these are already captured images, in which I am trying to automate and bypass the user from having to interact with the setup process with things like creating the admin account after the first boot. This is not an install image from the DVD. These are setup as BTP images.

I will then use this answer file to also plug in out of the box drivers as we bring new machines online or updates, without having to recreate the image again.   

I am using version 6.0.6000.16386 of the Windows SIM

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  

Hi,

Sorry, I might not have expressed what I wrote clearly.

We can only generate install images not boot images, and the name of the install image does not need to be install.wim.

Your WSIM is not the latest version, so I suggest installing the latest version of WSIM which supports Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 from the following site:

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

As x86 WSIM can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images, I suggest installing x86 WSIM.

If you intend to create a catalog for a custom Windows image, you should use Image Manager to recreate the catalog for that custom Windows image.

To recreate a catalog file:

1.   Open Windows SIM.

2.   Open a Windows image.

3.   On the Tools menu, select ‘Create Catalog’.

4.   The Open a Windows Image dialog box opens.

5.   Select a Windows image (.wim) file, and then click ‘Open’.

6.   If you choose a Windows image file that has more than one Windows image, the ‘select an Image dialog’ box opens.

7.   Select an image type (for example, Windows Vista Ultimate), and then click ‘OK’.

The catalog file is created in the same directory as the .wim file that you selected.

Let me know the results

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 1, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Tim -Thank you for your help up to this point. I have updated everything now to reflect the latest AIK. I am now getting a different error message when attempting to open an image file and create the cataglog file. It reads:

Windows System Image Manger execution failed. Details: Parameter count mismatch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Monday, August 4, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Tim - I should also mention that I am running Server 2003 R2 and have also read through the above mentioned other string. There was no solution found in that string. Since updating my AIK I am using version 6.0.6001.18000 of the Windows SIM and am trying to work with images that are both Vista and Vista with SP1. I am running the X86 version of the Windows SIM.

Monday, August 4, 2008 3:39 PM
  •  

Hi,

I understand that you have installed the latest version of WAIK and the x86 version of WSIM. However, we still cannot create a catalog file.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue can occur if we do not have enough permission to create a catalog file. I suggest copying the install image to the local hard drive (Windows Server 2003 R2), logon an account with administrator privileges and then test the issue again.

If the issue persists, I suggest testing the default install.wim file. Please copy the install.wim file from the Sources folder in a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 disk to the local hard drive. After that, let's try steps below to create a catalog file:

1.   Open Windows SIM.

2.   Open a Windows image.

3.   On the Tools menu, select ‘Create Catalog’.

4.   The Open a Windows Image dialog box opens.

5.   Select the install.wim file on the local hard drive, and then click ‘Open’.

6.   If you choose a Windows image file that has more than one Windows image, the ‘select an Image dialog’ box opens.

7.   Select an image type (for example, Windows Vista Ultimate), and then click ‘OK’.

Note: The catalog file is created in the same directory as the .wim file that you selected.

Please let me know the result.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:19 AM
  • Ok, I am successful in opening the default install.wim from the Vista Business DVD. Now I am more confused as to why that would be? The other images were created on an X86 platform and sysprep with the /oobe /generalize.

I've tested the images after the sysprep. They are working images. I just need to tailor the install at the point of first boot on them now to avoid user having to create things like the default admin account. All that have been created have this error message.

I should remember to mention that I am an admin on the box.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jason  

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Here is the solutio to the problem. I am posting this here because it seem to take alot of effort to provide what turned out to be a very, very simple solution. Thanks to Glen for posting this reply to my posting in the MS communities

unattend.xml file.

Hope this helps!

Glenn Fincher

the solution was to export the image from the WDS server. Although Glen calls out that you can do this through the PE command line. You can also do this through the WDS interface. Just make sure you take the image offline first. Hope this can help somebody else as it did me!

Jason

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Dude, I have been trying to figure this out for the past week.  Thanks for finding a solution!

Jason

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:01 PM

unattend.xml file.

Hope this helps!

Glenn Fincher

You are the man (men)
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Thank you!

Ryan Fischer
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Here is the error I'm getting using Windows 7 Professional DVD, copied the install files to my hard drive, Please Help!

The catalog file for Windows image Windows 7 Professional cannot be opened for the following reason:

The catalog file for Windows image Windows 7 Professional was created with a different version of the application

You must have a valid catalog file to continue. Do you want to create a catalog file?

Don't know what to do but I need to be able to use the install.wim file off the default install to create an answer file!!

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:24 PM
  • You can use an x32 WIM on an x64 Server - Even with Windows 2008 R2 - though you will still see this error, you need to manually point to the clg file.

Error - Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog

Pete

PeteNetLive

Friday, May 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • You can use an x32 WIM on an x64 Server - Even with Windows 2008 R2 - though you will still see this error, you need to manually point to the clg file.

Error - Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog

Pete

PeteNetLive

I ran into this error (was trying to create a catalog file from a x86 install.wim file on a x64 machine). Thanks for the solution.
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I had a similar issue, and the solution was to unmount the .wim file by running Deployment tools Command Prompt, going to the C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64 (because i am running a 64bit Windows 7 OS, otherwise choose x86 folder if you are running 32bit version of Windows 7). then execute the "dism /cleanup-wim" command and .wim should be unmounted.

Hope it helps,

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I am breaking my head :( ....    I see reference in many forums regarding x86 version of SIM.  But i am not able to see a download link for the same anywhere. Can you pls help.. Thanks in advance.

• Edited by VijayKPV Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:11 PM