none
Winlogon failure--0xc000021a xc0000005

Question

•  I am getting a fatal error during the Winlogon process. I can only bring windows up in safe mode. I have tried to use Dr. Watson to get a dump but it hasn't worked. I have also tried to generate a user dump using the Userdump utility but it doesn't seem to install correctly in safe mode. I would love any ideas anyone may have on how to proceed in trying to diagnose this any further.  I am running XP Pro SP2, can I apply SP3 in safe mode?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:22 AM

All replies

• Try enabling boot logging and see if it will create the log file with any information about the error in it. to do that at the "start menu>run" type "msconfig" without the qoutes and click on the "BOOT.INI" tab, then check the button that says "BOOTLOG"  and reboot to normal mode. then afterward go to "C:\WINDOWS\Ntbtlog.txt" and open that to see if theres anything there that lists the cause of the error
    Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:31 PM
  • I tried that but I don't see anything suspicious in the log file. In fact it seems to get to different points in the loading of drivers each time I reproduce the problem. I would like to try to run the NTSD debugger and do a kernel debugging seesion on it, but I can't get it installed in safe mode.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:42 PM