none
I need help, I cannot get my new 1 TB WD HDD to work or find "drivers" that work. RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a 500GB Seagate HDD that is my primary drive, it works fine (just full and slow). I also have a WD 1TB HDD that is also nearing capacity. I had bought a 2TB Seagate HDD, exchanged it for a WD 2TB HDD, and exchanged that for a 1TB Wd HDD. I have tried all of these different HDD's because I cannot get a single one of them to work properly. I will explain.

With all three different HDD's I have tried all have been seen with no issues in BIOS

The WD 1TB Black SATA 3 is the HDD that I am trying to get working now.

Regardless of which HDD I have installed none have ever had "the driver software" installed successfully after it has been booted up with the new HDD installed.

I would go to start, right click "computer", click "manage" and look in "device manager".

In "device manager" I would see the new HDD under "other devices" with a yellow exclamation point after it.

I would right click the HDD and click "update driver software" then "search automatically for update driver software" this would do nothing "windows could not find software for your device", I clicked close.

I then right click the HDD again, click "update driver software" but this time I choose "browse my computer for drivers". Base on what I had found online I would "browse" and install the drivers in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY" with the "include subfolders" box checked. This would allow the HDD to now be displayed uner "disk dives" in "computer management".

I would then got to "disk management" and see the new dive as "Disk 2". I can set it up as a "simple" drive and format as "NTFS" and assign a drive letter. 

After all of that It will display as "online" and "healthy" but will never display the drive letter or show up in my computer. Also if I click "change drive letter and path" I get an error message saying "Virtual Disk Manager...The system cannot find the file specified". 

Pretty much once I get to this point, no matter what I do I can get no further.

I have tried updating anything I can think of that would be related to running the HDD. I have swapped sata cables and ports on the motherboard and have had the same issues.

I have had no trouble with the other two HDD's the entire time 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have been messing with this for close to 3 months :(

• Edited by Adrock77 Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:39 PM title too long
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding current situation, please first check if this HDD can work on another computer.

If it can work properly on another computer, let’s try following steps to check whether we can get it work on your own computer:

Click Start, type cmd in search box, and right-click CMD, choose Run as administrator:

Type following command one by one and press enter after each command line, please make sure you have plug your HDD and it is recognized by disk manager.

DISKPART

LIST VOLUME

SELECT [VOLUME NAME FOR YOUR NEW HDD]

ASSIGN LETTER=[LETTER NOT UNDER YOUR COMPUTER]

Please let me know if there is any error occurring during this process.

Hope this can be helpful and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From you post, I know that you want to get the New WD SATA 1TB HDD work on your computer, but after you tried to get the driver installed in device manager, and format as NTFS in Disk manager, you got error message “Virtual Disk Manager...The system cannot find the file specified” when you wanted to change the drive letter and path.

Regarding current situation, we consider that this issue can be caused by incompatibility. Please help to clarify following questions and try my suggestion below:

1. Please let me know your computer models.
    2. Help to post the full error message here.
    3. Confirm with the manufacturer of this HDD whether the HDD is compatible with your computer both on size and system.
    4. Does it work well on another computer?

I suggest we try to install the update driver for your motherboard:

To update your driver, you can follow steps “To update drivers using Windows Update” or  “To manually update drivers” on following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7/

You can also download and update the driver yourself from the manufacturer's website.

Hope these could be helpful and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi StarSprite. I have no updates available. I checked the compatibility and this is the info I found

microsoft.com

/en-us/windows/compatibility/win7/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Western%20Digital%20Caviar%20Black%201TB%20Internal%20Hard%20Drive&vendor=Western%20Digital&Locale=1033%2C1042%2C1043%2C1046%2C2052%2C2057%2C3081%2C3084%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=WD1001FALS&BreadCrumbPath=wd1001fals&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=win7

I have a three year old built computer.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (rev. 1.0)

Processor: Intel Core i3 530 @2.93

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64b

I have updated everything I possible could thus far, the MB the p55 driver, the bios was updated 2 months ago. 

I have not tried this HDD on a different computer but I have tried two HDD prior to this one and had the same problem. 

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding current situation, please first check if this HDD can work on another computer.

If it can work properly on another computer, let’s try following steps to check whether we can get it work on your own computer:

Click Start, type cmd in search box, and right-click CMD, choose Run as administrator:

Type following command one by one and press enter after each command line, please make sure you have plug your HDD and it is recognized by disk manager.

DISKPART

LIST VOLUME

SELECT [VOLUME NAME FOR YOUR NEW HDD]

ASSIGN LETTER=[LETTER NOT UNDER YOUR COMPUTER]

Please let me know if there is any error occurring during this process.

Hope this can be helpful and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:45 AM