none
Philips Sound Agent 2 - Driver Issue

Question

•  

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and I wanted to connect my Philips MCM 530 Audio Set (using philips sound agent 2) through the USB cord.  When I go to install the software and drivers for this device, windows doesnt even recognize that this device is plugged in, and I cant install the product all the way.  I have found a hotfix through Microsoft's site (KB933262) that deals with USB audio device problems, but I am unsure if I should run this program, and if it will in fact solve the problem.  My main concern is that I ordered my computer with no speakers to be attached to it because I wanted to use my Philips Audio Set, and since I cant install the correct drivers or the software for it I cant even use my DVD/CD burner or anything because it says that I must have audio ouput installed.  Another problem I am experiencing is that after I tried to install the drivers for the Philips Audio set when I go to shut down my computer I get a blue screen and a physical memory dump begins.  My guess that this happens is because of the driver from this audio set is trying to read, but obviusly cant and is screwing up my whole system.  Therefore I tried to uninstall these drivers, but I am still unable to shut down my computer normally and the physical memory dump keeps reoccuring.  I really would like to know if there is anything I can do to get these drivers to run properly for my Philips MCM 530 Audio Set (with Philips Sound Agent 2), and if running the hotfix (KB933262) would be the cure to my problems.  I only got this computer 48 hours ago and it is giving me nothing but problems.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kevin 

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hello Kevin,

Thank you for posting!

According the following page from Philips site:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&slg=AEN&cat=AUDIO_SYSTEMS_CA&sct=MICRO_SYSTEMS_SU&session=20080204005617_207.46.55.31&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&ctn=MCM530/37&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Philips Micro Hi-Fi System MCM530 MP3 doesn’t support Windows Vista, which should be the main cause of the problem. Please understand that what we can help you from Windows side is limited without the correct driver issued by the manufacturer.

To efficiently solve this problem, please contact Philips to report this issue and push them to release the driver for Windows Vista, if possible.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Kevin,

Thank you for posting!

According the following page from Philips site:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&slg=AEN&cat=AUDIO_SYSTEMS_CA&sct=MICRO_SYSTEMS_SU&session=20080204005617_207.46.55.31&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&ctn=MCM530/37&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Philips Micro Hi-Fi System MCM530 MP3 doesn’t support Windows Vista, which should be the main cause of the problem. Please understand that what we can help you from Windows side is limited without the correct driver issued by the manufacturer.

To efficiently solve this problem, please contact Philips to report this issue and push them to release the driver for Windows Vista, if possible.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Hi Kevin and Lionel,

There IS a way to get the audio set working in Vista and Windows 2008. See the post here:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/architecturegeneral/thread/9f5c3900-669e-43bf-8778-43010ca20d8f/

However, when you reboot the computer or switch off and on the audio set, you might have to repeat the steps again.

I doubt new drivers are needed since the device works temporarily (until you reboot) if you follow the steps in the link.
    Just a simple workaround from Microsoft or Philips/Micronas could fix the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Babis
    • Proposed as answer by babis1 Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:17 AM
  • If I were you, I would just return the computer and get a mac or one that doesn't have vista.  

My mac cannot read the Philips sound agent 2 cd.  I am still having problems w/ this install, but i will get it to work eventually.  I'm determined.  I will write to let people know what worked.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:51 AM