none
Frequent Windows Explorer Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Explorer is frequently restarting throughout the workday. Usually, it is about 2-3 times a day. Below is an example crash report from a while back - don't have a current one available to me at the moment as I do not have access to the computer:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
    Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_1062
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 00000000000c40f2
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1062
    Additional Information 2: 10627f8784ab27b0a288ca8932b95911
    Additional Information 3: 18ab
    Additional Information 4: 18ab6cb240127d83a08af2af264ff0ee

Any ideas? Thanks!

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:49 PM

Answers

• The fault module, StackHash_1062, is not positively identified.

However it appears to be a component of Windows given the version,  6.1.7601.17725.

It may be another, possibly third party, module causing the crash.

Can you check what is logged in the Event Viewer:

Start > type eventvwr in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter" > expand "Custom Views" > "Administrative Events"

Look through the "Administrative Events"  for Application Errors involving explorer.exe

Double-click on each event for more details.

Also, can you download and run the following application (AppCrashView):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Click on one of the recent errors.

Can you copy and paste the information that appears in the lower window that has loaded modules

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

From your post, I understand that Windows explorer crashed frequently.

Regarding to the event log you posted, it seems that the issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict.

I suggest we first check the issue in clean boot, please let me know the test results.   

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

In order to identify the issue more accurately, please help to collect the application dump file for me to do further research:

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

Thanks for your cooperation and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:35 AM

All replies

• MSC

This is often related to the Anti-virus app.  You can read about it here

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:18 PM
  • The fault module, StackHash_1062, is not positively identified.

However it appears to be a component of Windows given the version,  6.1.7601.17725.

It may be another, possibly third party, module causing the crash.

Can you check what is logged in the Event Viewer:

Start > type eventvwr in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter" > expand "Custom Views" > "Administrative Events"

Look through the "Administrative Events"  for Application Errors involving explorer.exe

Double-click on each event for more details.

Also, can you download and run the following application (AppCrashView):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Click on one of the recent errors.

Can you copy and paste the information that appears in the lower window that has loaded modules

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

From your post, I understand that Windows explorer crashed frequently.

Regarding to the event log you posted, it seems that the issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict.

I suggest we first check the issue in clean boot, please let me know the test results.   

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

In order to identify the issue more accurately, please help to collect the application dump file for me to do further research:

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

Thanks for your cooperation and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:35 AM