none
Word 2007 crashes every time I try to save a document

Question

• Word 2007 crashes every time I try to save a document. I have tried the fix of deleting the "Data" entry in the Word registry as suggested on the Microsoft site, but this issue keeps coming back. I have reinstalled Windows 7 several times and every time I install Office 2007 Enterprise this happens. 
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi mm2420

The main difference when using Safe Mode is that startup programs and some drivers are not loaded.

You may have a program running in normal mode that is interfering with Office.

You might want to try performing a clean boot to troubleshoot this issue. A clean boot disables all startup programs and 3rd party services.

This article How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista has the step by step instructions for performing clean boot troubleshooting.

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi cadeus90

When posting a question, please be as specific as possible and let us know the following information:

Your hardware configuration.

Specific error messages and error numbers.

Any steps you have already taken to resolve the problem.

Any other pertinent info that will help us to understand the issue or scenario.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I have the same problem: When I save in Word, Word crashes.

My specs: T7300, 2gigs, Windows 7 prebeta 7000 32bit, IBM t61 thinkpad, Office 2007 enterprise

There are no error messages. all that happens is I will open up word and either start a new document, or work on an old one. I will either hit ctrl-s, or click the save, or save as button. Then the program will become non-responsive. However, the document usually does save and I am able to open it after I restart my laptop. Only once has the document not sucessfully completed the save and I lost the contents.

I have tried starting up in safe mode and I was able to open a docuement and save then without any copmlications.

Thankyou for any help you can offer.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:13 PM
  • I have to report the same problem. Word crashes when I save. The screen freezes. I noticed the word tmp files don't get deleted after a save. When I tried to delete them Windows Explorer told me the files are not there anymore.
    Also I did a Repair on Office. After that I could save a document for about six times then it froze. Before that it froze at the 3rd save. I also have Live Sync running. Stopping that did not help. 
    Just strange that some people complain and the majority is ok.
    Both of my computers I did full installs. I have every update installed. 

Alfred Laggner
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Sorry, I have a Dell E1505 with a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor, 2 GB of ram, Windows 7 Beta 32 bit, Office 2007 Enterprise. There are no error messages, when I click the save button the screen grays out and in the top of the window it says "Microsoft Word (Not Responding)." Like I said earlier I tried deleting the registry folder mentioned above, that is the only thing I have done and it only fixes it for a short time. 
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Hi mm2420

The main difference when using Safe Mode is that startup programs and some drivers are not loaded.

You may have a program running in normal mode that is interfering with Office.

You might want to try performing a clean boot to troubleshoot this issue. A clean boot disables all startup programs and 3rd party services.

This article How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista has the step by step instructions for performing clean boot troubleshooting.

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Thanks Ronnie Vernon,

In the spirit of your suggestion I started to isolate the few startups i have running when I boot up windows and it turns out that it wasn't a service that was running in the background but where I was saving the file. I currently am using DropBox to synchronise my files between machines. its a free cloud space that synchronises files real time. That was the problem. as soon as I tried to save to a place other then my dropbox I didn't have a problem. the unfortunate conclusion is that I can no longer save there, which I didn't have a problem with vista or xp so my thoughts are that its not the fault of dropbox, but I understand that widows 7 can't be designed with every thirdparty's program in mind.

-mic2420

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I tried to use the troubleshoot as well but so far no success. I do have MS Live Sync - I suspected it as the problem source but is is not. I tried to isolate the problem. At every round of narrowing down I saved a word file for about 20-30 times without problems. When I thought I hade the bad guy I saved for about 50 times and it froze.
    I had to turn off the computer because the shut down hang as well.
    After that I went back and started over and from now on I could only save one or two times and the computer froze. I assume the turning off must have left something in my registry. I may go back a sytem restore point to start all over to see if it is true.
    In one word, Word is very frustrating to use. Maybe somebody has more and better to report.
    Any advise of how best to continue?

Alfred Laggner
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:45 PM
  • I don't use drop box, but I am testing the clean boot suggestion. It sounds like a good idea, I'll post what I find. Thanks.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:24 PM
  • When I have problems with programs not saving something, the first thing I suspect is a problem with the saving location or corruption of a file at that location.  So I will start with a clean file and save it to a known location such as the desktop.  Then I can watch what happens.  If you try to reopen one of your older files, you might get the problem back.  If saving to a different location helps, then start opening your old files one at a time  and save them to the new location to see if any of them cause problems.

Are you saving the files as .doc or .docx 

You might even go so far as changing the save folder in Word temporarily during your test.

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any problems related to Word or any type of warning/error at the time you have the problems saving?

No one has mentioned any multiple operating systems situations, so I assume you are only running W7 and not using the saving drive on another system.  

Looks like you are all using Enterprise, and were you installs clean or upgrades?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I have had a similar issue on Vista. That was due to the driver of my AIO HP.
    If that is the case, try to declare an other printer by default.

Aski. MVP Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by caedus90 Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by caedus90 Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:02 PM
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I've heard this is a common problem, even Paul Thurrot reports that he suffers from it, but I have Office Student & Home Edition installed and I've NEVER had this problem so far.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Ok I have an HP C5180 All In One. That might be it.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Aski. said:

I have had a similar issue on Vista. That was due to the driver of my AIO HP.
    If that is the case, try to declare an other printer by default.

Aski. MVP Desktop Experience

I tried this but it didn't fix it, it was a good idea though. I think that I had that issue in Vista as well.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:03 PM
  • My Word 2007 was crashing so I did a Repair on Word 2007 (Control Panel, Programs, Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007, Change, Repair). This solved all my Word problems.

I know enough to get myself into trouble and require a professional to fix it.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 1:30 AM
  • The problem of freezing Vista style file dialogs is in Windows Vista as well. We've never seen it ourselves, but some of our customers do. We've added an option to use the old XP style file dialogs to help them out. It happens quite often, I think approx. 3 % of our customers using Vista are having problems with this. The next release of our product will revert to XP style dialogs automatically once a file dialog freezes.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 10:21 AM
  • I was having a simular problem with a new Kodak AIO printer...tried all kinds of things including a different PC, a clean install of Vista a clean intall of Windows 7...finally took back the Kodak and purchased a simular Brother AIO, and have very few problems now...

I was getting Blue screens and reboots on Vista, It was better on windows 7 but had the word crashing problem soon after opening a file on windows 7, and also had some problems in vista when ever I tried to access files on a 2nd PC in my home network...
    Monday, February 02, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I did a repair and that seems to have done the trick for now. Thanks for all the help. I'll post back if it happens again, which wouldn't surprise me.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Saltgrass said:

When I have problems with programs not saving something, the first thing I suspect is a problem with the saving location or corruption of a file at that location.  So I will start with a clean file and save it to a known location such as the desktop.  Then I can watch what happens.  If you try to reopen one of your older files, you might get the problem back.  If saving to a different location helps, then start opening your old files one at a time  and save them to the new location to see if any of them cause problems.

Are you saving the files as .doc or .docx 

You might even go so far as changing the save folder in Word temporarily during your test.

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any problems related to Word or any type of warning/error at the time you have the problems saving?

No one has mentioned any multiple operating systems situations, so I assume you are only running W7 and not using the saving drive on another system.  

Looks like you are all using Enterprise, and were you installs clean or upgrades?

Just to let you know i save as .docx in the Documents folder in the C: drive. I get no errors at all it just stops responding. I am running on a single boot system with a clean install of Windows 7 not an upgrade. Yes I am using Office Enterprise.
    • Proposed as answer by AlfredLaggner Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I finally found a solution for the Office freez-up: I uninstalled Norton 360 beta and replaced it with Kapersky Anti Virus. Now everything runs like a charm. 
    Alfred Laggner
    • Proposed as answer by AlfredLaggner Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:47 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Any more thoughts / updates on this topic? runinng beta 64 w/ office 2007 and my Word, Excel, Outlook all crash when I start the app's. I get the message "applicatoin stopped working". Powerpoint works just fine
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Word has begun crashing on me each time I save, as well. It began after I installed Windows Live Sync, and I have a feeling that this is the source of the problem.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Hello everyone

I had had the same problems with 'Not Responing' in most Office 2007 programs and, occasionally, others like IE8 and graphics programs and even Tomb Raider Underground. 

Like I suppose most people have done, I tried to fix it by clicking on the taskbar, or opening Task Manager and 'Ending process/process tree', usually without any success at all.  I tried uninstalling Norton Internet Security and other fixes.  No joy.

Then, I found that by waiting for around 14 seconds and doing nothing at all, they all then start responding.  I have been doing this for a week and, aside from the frustration, it seems to work.  I have also found that I can actually do other things whilst waiting for Word 2007 or PowerPoint to respond.  I have lost no material at all. 

As a very experienced amateur, it seems to me to be a function of Win7b being too fast in reporting 'not responding', but this is beyond my technical skills.  I had a look at Mark Russinovich's pages, but couldn't find anything on how to introduce a delay in the 'Not responding' flag.

It would be very interesting to find out it it's only my PC that this works on or if anyone else has tried it (or will try it). 

birchyboy
    -----------------------------------------
    Intel P4 Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz, 2Gb RAM, 2x250Gb HDD, ATi HD 2600 Pro overclocked Overdrive to 650MHz (game clock) 530MHz  (memory clock)
    -----------------------------------------
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hello again.

You had better ignore my previous post. 

Word 2007 has just locked up - 'Not responding' - and will not respond even after 5 minutes.  Can't be stopped by Task Manager.  It seems to be a problem with all my 32-bit applications. 

Back to square one.  Sorry. 

birchyboy
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:42 AM
  • I have Norton 360 too.  That may be the problem.  I've done clean installs and MS Office updates.  I bet this is the problem.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:36 PM
  • are you using the norton beta?
    • Proposed as answer by rogo67 Monday, April 27, 2009 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:37 PM
  • oops! sorry Littlius I clicked Propose As Answer by mistake...

However, my solution is not to use my "C:\" +[folderName] drive. Instead I, use for example, "E:\" +[folderName] drive a partitioned drive, I beleive it has something to do with permissions or something like that, I say this because I can save on "E:\" drive until the sheep come home, where as after about 3 to 5 times of saving on "C:\" I will also get a Not Responding.

BTW uninstalling Word2007 and installing Word2003 doesn't make the issue go away, I still get Not Responding when saving to "C:\" + [folderName]
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem. All office app crashes on save.
    I have Office Ent and Windows 7 Build 7100.

My solution was to run word in Compatibility mode. (win XP Sp3).
    After that, I saved my document. I was suprise because Word ask for my credential avent if I am admin.
    It did saved at that time.
    I remove the compatibility setting and it work normally since.

MM
    Merlin Martel
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:28 PM
  • I think I got this problem as well. I installed Vista 32bit and then upgraded Norton 360 from V2 to V3. Now it is not possible to save a word document.
    There is an entry in the problem report history but it only says application hang.
    Anyhow this problem made word 2007 unusable. 
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:26 PM
  • In XP, I have had the problem with Word, Quickbooks collaborating with Word, and my HP software (which never worked with XP for me).  Now using the W764RC, I have had no problems with Office 2007 and programs associated with it and my HP printer works great. 

In my circle, Norton is pretty much a no-no.  Norton is extremely invasive and controling.  I use a hardware firewall and usually use an Avast solution for anti-virus (Now try Panda).  MacAffee is almost as bad as Norton in my book.

Friday, June 19, 2009 9:57 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but I had the exact same problem using Windows 7 Beta AND RC versions.

After installing SP2 for Microsoft Office on April 24, 2009, Word has not crashed once when saving (and this is two months ago, smooth sailing).

Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81-9db49b4ab6e5&displaylang=en

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:55 PM
  • As a matter of interest, the auto update has put in patches for all my Office 2007 programs and it seems to have stopped. 

It would be nice if MS could tell us that they have found a problem (sorry 'issue') and put it right.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:14 PM
  • I am having this problem with every Save As dialog under every MS Office 2007 application using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (running on a Lenovo t410 with 4GB of ram).  I've done the Regedit and deleted the Word Data file, that fixed things temporarily, the first time, but this issue is tremendously frustrating.  Any new info?
    Friday, February 05, 2010 3:52 PM
  • had the same exact issue. -  word freezes when saving to redirected my documents while offline.

it was my anti-virus program

disable the services for your AV program.

reboot

try saving to My documents

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem with ...Excel Enterprise 2007!

It is a Word, Excel, or Office suite problem?

Regards

Antonio

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:20 AM
  • I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate recently and yeah I'm having this problem with Word 2007 when saving.  I followed the link suggested above and the requirements indicate that the patch is for Office under operating environment that includes Vista and Windows Server 2008 but did not say Windows 7.  I haven't tried the patch yet but wondering if anyone can tell me if there's other surprises waiting in the lurk.  Hoping some guru from MS Office will shed some like as to the intentional omission of Windows 7 for this patch.

IBM NetVista 1GB RAM 3.2 GHz Windows Ultimate 7.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:54 PM
  • I found the solution, the problem is caused by malware: "gclgaf40.dll" (detected in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Datos de programa\Microsoft\")
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I have the same problem, but that is not the solution in my case.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:28 AM
  • I am experiencing the same "save as" problems

My rig is a quad processor with windows 7 with (every update) with two terrabyte drives 3 partitions on each

and running Norton

Minimal Startups-- Only MS

Have run Checkdsk-- no problem

Have run scannow-- no integrity violations 

I have experienced the "save as" crash with the following excellent programs:

Notebook

Excel 2010

Outlook 2010

Adobe FrameMaker 9.255

Judging from the e-correspondence it would appear to me to be a broad operating system flaw.

Could it be

a registry error

I run Registry mechanic often, but it may well not pick up on these items.

Since it does not crash everytime, it would seem to be one of those counters which are not resetting properly

Could it be Norton check incoming data from a program?

I am on facebook as Robert Shell

I wonder if that might be a good place to post MS problems?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:56 AM
  • My Word 2007 was crashing so I did a Repair on Word 2007 (Control Panel, Programs, Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007, Change, Repair). This solved all my Word problems.

I know enough to get myself into trouble and require a professional to fix it.

This fix worked worked GR8! Thanks.

Oh yeah... remember, You asked:
    I am running an 
    HP Pavilion DV6t 64 Bit W/ Docking Station
    Windows 7 Pro SP 1
    MS Office 2007 Enterprise
    Intel 7 Duel Quad
    8 GB Ram
    16GB SanDisk Ultra  SD
     4GB Ready Boost 
    Blue Tooth 2.1
    Internal NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M W/ 1 GB RAM
    Internal Light Scribe DVD RW
    Infrared Transceiver
    Internal HP Web Cam
    External Logitech Orbit Web Cam
    ESATA Port
    HP Wireless Mouse/Keyboard
    Synapitcs PS/2 Port Touchpad
    Internal LSI Fax/modem
    15.7” & 19” Dell External Monitor
    RealTech Network Adaptor
    BlueTooth Hands Free Audio
    HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner
    StarTech USB 3.0 ExpressCard  54 mm
    500 GB  Internal Seagate HD
    2 Seagate ‘Go-Flex’ 2 TB Hard drives running on/as/in USB 3.0
    Seagate 1 TB ‘Free-Agent’
    Anker USB 3.0 Card reader 
    Anker USB 3.0 Speed Hub
    Kodak7200 AIO Printer (Wireless mode)
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer (USB 2.1 Mode)

I've had this basic configuration since the end of 2009 and I'm still ‘In Love' with it! All I've added since then is the USB 3.0 stuff. It has been the most trouble free system I have owned since 1981! (An Osborn)

Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I was having the same problem. Registry fixes, printer changes, microsoft tools weren't working for me.

Check to see if it is at ALL locations or just the default location by trying to save as C:\test.docx. When I saved to a hard-linked location, it worked. I found that I had re-mapped my "my documents" folder and that was the problem. My documents was re-mapped to D drive and another program had saved a file into a new "my documents" directory under my profile name in C:\users\. Once I deleted the duplicate folder on the C drive, everything works!

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:36 PM
  • I am having the same problem with Office for Home and Student starting a few months ago.  The app has been installed for several years on Vista 32 with all bells and whistles, upgrades, patches, and witchs' spells.  I suspect some undetermined update started all this because there was no such problem for a long time.  My Gateway T-Series laptop, Intel Duo, 4gb mem, 500 gb drive has had no other problems.
    Monday, December 03, 2012 5:13 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 (64bit) with Office 2007 Pro (32bit) on a Dell Latitude E6220 and have been having the same issues as everyone on this (and other) forums. As sugested in another post; I checked the Applications Event viewer and found that every time I had the problem with Word locking up another program had an entry in the event viewer

The program was Reflections Links; I had installed the most current version of WRQ Reflections that I am licensed for to log in to my Cisco switches. When I did the install I did a complete install and WRQ installed the Reflections Links program. I did not see the problem right away; it actually took a couple of weeks for the problem to get to the point I had to find a fix.<o:p></o:p>

I don't know yet exactly what Reflections Links does (yet) but it looks like it does something with network files shares and AD. So I uninstalled the entire WRQ application and then restarted my laptop.<o:p></o:p>

Funny thing happend the first time I ran Word; Office did an install as if it was the first time I had ran an Office program. Now Word works fine and when i do a file save or save as the list of available drive and folder comes up quickly and I have no problem saving files and Word does not lockup.<o:p></o:p>

Outlook was also having this same issue when I would try to save an attachment. I will test this tomorrow when I get back into the office.<o:p></o:p>

Again; the problem did not show up immediately and got worse over time; so look for applications that may have links into the file system.<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:44 AM