none
Can't Partition Hard Drive at Installation of Windows 7

Question

• I don't seem to be able to partition/format my hard drive when installing Windows 7.

Can someone please enlighten me on what to do to launch the drive partitioning tool while installing Windows 7?

TIA,
    Axel Dahmen
    www.axeldahmen.de
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:13 PM

All replies

• Boot from the DVD, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and the install sequence is Loading files, a ‘Starting Windows’ message appears and you type your Language, Time/Currency and Keyboard. Click Install now. Click to accept the License and click Custom for a clean install. It’s now that you can delete/create/format partitions by clicking 'Drive Options Advanced'.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I don't seem to be able to partition/format my hard drive when installing Windows 7.

Can someone please enlighten me on what to do to launch the drive partitioning tool while installing Windows 7?

TIA,
    Axel Dahmen
    www.axeldahmen.de

Hi, Axel.

That depends largely on your starting point - which you didn't tell us.

BurrWalnut's answer fits most situations; it may or may not fit you.

Is this on a brand new computer with nothing installed?  Or are you adding Win7 to an existing system?  WinXP, Vista, Linux or something else?  Is this your only HDD?  Or are you trying to format a second or third HDD?  Do you want to preserve and use your existing drive letters, or will you be happy with Win7 Setup's default assignments?

Details like that will let us tailor an answer to fit you.

RC
    R. C. White, CPA Microsoft Windows MVP
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi RC and Walnut,

I've installed the RTM in a blank VMware environment. During installation I haven't been asked for any partitioning there. That's what's bothering me....

Do you think this is perhaps some VMware peculiarity?

TIA,
    Axel
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:43 PM
  • I believe this is an issue with using VMware. 
    Hi RC and Walnut,

I've installed the RTM in a blank VMware environment. During installation I haven't been asked for any partitioning there. That's what's bothering me....

Do you think this is perhaps some VMware peculiarity?

TIA,
    Axel

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Thanks for all your valuable replies!

I don't have any problems with installing Windows 7 since the retail version came on the market a year ago. It seems this might have been a particular problem with the RTM version. ...or I just might have been stupid about this.. ;)

Thanks again!
    Axel Dahmen

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Thanks for all your valuable replies!

I don't have any problems with installing Windows 7 since the retail version came on the market a year ago. It seems this might have been a particular problem with the RTM version. ...or I just might have been stupid about this.. ;)

Thanks again!
    Axel Dahmen

Hi axel,

I hv new laptop without windows, while installing windows 7, one NTFS error occurred, "windows can not be install on hard drive partition NTFS " pls can u help me fix it 

Thx. knaik  

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Hi Knaik,

I'm not sure whether I can help you.

Could you give me some more details? When exactly to you get the error message? What does it say exactly?

Thanks!
    Axel

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:53 PM