none
Windows 10 LTSB Patching RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a patching path for Windows 10 Long Term Service Branch that I missed?

I am having some problems updating the LTSB branch of Windows 10 (1607).  I have tried taking the latest SSU, applying it, rebooting the device and then applying the latest monthly but it doesn't work, it fails and the windows update log isn't readable to even get a clue as to what is going wrong.  Is there a specific path I need to take to step these along without access to the WSUS server?  We need to be able to install these offline.

I have tried applying the latest patches with the following method.

1) download latest SSU
    2) restart pc
    3) Apply latest update

• I have also attempted to rename the SoftwareDistrubution folder, catroot2, etc, then re-apply the process but still no luck. 
    • I have attempted to run a sfc/scannow, but haven't found any issues.  I get a "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." when running sfc /scannow.
    • I disabled all local security policies, attempted above steps and still had failures.

Any insight/things that I can try to resolve this?

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:26 PM

All replies

• Apply the latest SSU KB4512574, correct.

Restart computer, correct.

About your third step, apply latest update, how you achieve this? To my knowledge, there is not a Microsoft website to download standalone update package for LTSB 2016, only Windows 10 1607.

You know, Windows 10 1607 is different with Windows 10 LTSB 2016, the former is SA while the latter is LTSC.

So after restart computer, run Windows update troubleshooter, check for updates. That’s enough.

On more thing, to find the Windows Update Log in Windows 10, do the following.

Open PowerShell.

Type the following command at the PowerShell console:

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

When it finishes running, the cmdlet will create the classic WindowsUpdate.log file in your Desktop folder.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:18 AM
  • Hi Teemo,

I have a devices with the following versions:

Win 10 10.0.14393.2363 (1607)

Win 10 10.0.14393.2791 (1607)

I was looking for the releases on the wiki for Windows 10 version history.  When running the powershell command, I get a unreadable log due to not having the correct Symbols.  Due to doing this in an offline manor, I can't update the symbols through the symbol server and the standalone offline symbols aren't available for download that I have found yet.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:34 PM
  • Kindly check this case below to deal with unreadable update log

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windowsupdatelog-unreadable/2e6b05ed-ac91-4186-a362-c6b5a7e42911

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 20, 2019 6:26 AM
  • I have viewed this already on the Symbol server, which I have attempted and it clears up some of the (no format found) messages, but even then it doesn't give me anything usable for troubleshooting.

The problem I have is doing offline updates (or not using the wsus server), troubleshooting and not having a clear path of resolution.

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:44 AM
  • This may be related to this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1474735c-3868-434a-b65b-60c7c24731eb/latest-servicing-stack-update-on-14393-ltsb-depends-on-the-previous-one?forum=win10itprosetup

In short, we found that for 14393, you can't always take the vanilla image and apply the latest SSU to it. You may have to apply an earlier SSU first, before the later SSU will go on (contrary to what Microsoft say should work). We aren't using 14393 for much any more, but the last time I updated an image, we had to apply KB4132216 before any later SSUs would go on.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:45 AM