none
No drivers for onboard CMI9880 (Windows 7)

Question

• Hello!

I´ve readed the previous posts about this, but none of the proposed solutions worked for me. :-(
    I´ve tryied the drivers from my OEM manufacturer (MSI motherboard MS-7058), from Intel (chipsets 915P, ICH6 and 82801) and from
    C-Media ones (CMI9880 for XP).
    Then tryied what people says could be Vista compatible ones: UDAX (CMI8768), Realtek (ALC260, 655, 883), SigmaTel and IDT.
    And searched in the listings for Windows Vista Compatibility of course. But no luck.
    Windows hardware administrator refuses to install any of these. Sometimes saying the most updated one is already installed (Intel High Definition Audio)
    and sometimes says the driver isn´t compatible with my hardware.

I really need mic input. And if possible, but not essential Digital optical sound output. Basic stereo analog sound is ok.
    I´m using Windows 7 RC1 Esp (spanish).

I think 4~5 years hardware isn´t too old. I don´t want to buy a new audio card.
    If somebody knows about a compatible driver for my onboard CMI9880 for Win7, yell something please!!! ;-)

Thank you!
    Fernando.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Fernando,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Friday, June 26, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Hi Fernando

Like Andy stated, the device drivers on Windows Update are supplied by the device manufacturer. When Windows reports that you have the latest driver installed, it is referring to the latest driver that is available on Windows Update.

If the manufacturer of the device has newer drivers that are not available on Windows Update, you must go to the website of the device manufacturer to download them.

Windows Update is offered as a service to hardware/software manufacturers as a way to easily distribute their driver/application updates to Windows Users. Microsoft does not develop third party device drivers, but they do offer these manufacturers assistance while they are developing drivers for their own devices. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Fernando,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Friday, June 26, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Hello Andy!

Yeah, "What can I do if my hardware does not work?" is the very first thing I´ve readed when this forum popped out when I´ve searched for help.
    And Windows Update is automatically done by the OS itself. Isn´t it?
    Windows Device Manager also searches for the most updated drivers as the first option but always says I have the most newer (but not-so-useful) one.

Windows behavior is to offer only tested drivers. Sometimes Vista drivers works, but as they aren´t tested yet, Win7 doesn´t bother to offer them.
    Precisely THAT drivers are what I´m asking for here.

If somebody knows them: yell please!!! :-)

Thank you!!
    Fernando.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Hi Fernando

Like Andy stated, the device drivers on Windows Update are supplied by the device manufacturer. When Windows reports that you have the latest driver installed, it is referring to the latest driver that is available on Windows Update.

If the manufacturer of the device has newer drivers that are not available on Windows Update, you must go to the website of the device manufacturer to download them.

Windows Update is offered as a service to hardware/software manufacturers as a way to easily distribute their driver/application updates to Windows Users. Microsoft does not develop third party device drivers, but they do offer these manufacturers assistance while they are developing drivers for their own devices. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hi Fernando

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Ronnie Vernon MVP

Hello Mr. Ronnie!

Yes. I´ve visited my device manufacturer´s website as previously stated. It´s MSI (Micro Star International) but they developed drivers up to 2005 (the year I bought my computer) for that hardware. (Windows XP ones).

Sometimes the maker of the device don´t write drivers anymore, but someone could know about a different maker using the same chipset who is still releasing updated drivers. (And hopefully, compatible). That´s what happened to me with a V-Gear MyTv capture card. Maker (Asiamajor) doesn´t write drivers anymore, but Kworld´s Terminator card drivers works fine (same Philips SAA7134 chipset). (Thanks Master_64BIT!).

As previously stated I´ve tryied a large bunch of drivers from different makers but unsuccesfully. :-(

Again: Somebody please yell something if you know about any MS-7058/CMI9880/Intel915P/82801/ICH6 Windows 7 compatible sound driver.

Thank you very much!  :-)
    Fernando.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

this one worked for me. You must install it manually setup will not work cause driver is from 2004 (Setup detects no Win XP and will stop). I am using the same intel chipset then you.

C-Media Sound Card CMI9880 - v. 5.12.01 WHQL

Kind regards

Juergen
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hello Juergen S!

I gived up! I've ran out of patience. I've deleted Win 7 out from my HD.  :-(
    Everybody asks Microsoft for suitable drivers, but they just say: "We DON'T write drivers".
    In Linux world there are drivers for EVERYTHING! Nobody will tell you: "We DON'T write drivers".
    I'll give Windows another chance in another computer (different devices).
    But I'm VEEERY FRUSTRATED with my Windows experience (Windows 7 device drivers).
    If I can't get Windows running properly in my system, it is useless (at least for me).

Thank you anyway Juergen S!!!
    Fernando.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello to Everyone Frustrated with this problem!

I have an Asus motherboard with the same sound chip...
    First of all this is NOT the best-in-the-world sound card.

The solution is very, very simple, just to buy any latest sound card of your choice and place it on the motherbord!!!!
    Will work!
    Clinging to the hardware 4-6 years old at any cost----does not make any sense, I guess...

Greetings.
    Roman
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Hello everyone!

Here is one solution to the problem with Windows 7 and the CMI9880 soundchip drivers:

It was done successfully with ASUS P5AD2-E DeLux motherboard...

Install Win 7 clean.
    Manually configure 2 devices lacking drivers.
    First-Unknown device which is system device driver ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY Driver v.1043.2.15.37.
    Without this driver the recording does not work!!!
    Reboot the computer and MANUALLY install C-Media CMI9880 driver version 5.12.1.8 (found in the driver folder).
    Do not execute the installation program!!!!!
    Reboot the computer.
    Without the C-Media configuration panel installed, configure the sound devices(recording and playing) manually using win 7 configuration.

WORKS 100%!

Thanks for your attention.

Roman

Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:24 PM

• When you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it says the CMI9880 is compatiple with Win7 !!!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Hello vancouverca2003,
    Can you please write IN DETAIL how you did the " MANUALLY install C-Media CMI9880 driver version 5.12.1.8 "
    I tried moer than one time but it does not work because of some reasons mentioned in this thread.
    Thanks for Help
    Martin
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi Juergen,
    What do you mean by "manually"?
    Please describe exactly what you did.
    Thanks
    martin
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:08 PM
  • That is true!
    Martin
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:09 PM
  • ...,oh My God, guys!

After installing windows 7 you are left with 2 missing drivers for this sound card and another unknown device.
    You have to download 2 files mentioned by me earlier.

You execute first the file :ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY Driver v.1043.2.15.37 and reboot the computer.
    Now you are left only with one driver missing for your sound card.
    You right click on the sound card, choose Update driver, go to the folder with your C-Media CMI9880 driver version 5.12.1.8 and choose .info file.
    Update your driver, reboot the computer; DO NOT EXECUTE THE DRIVER INSTALLER INSIDE THE FOLDER AS A METHOD OF INSTALLING THE DRIVER.
    If you do, you will get an error message...
    After rebooting the computer you have to configure your sound card using sound device properties within windows 7.

Greetings from Cusco, Peru.

Roman 

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Thanks vancouverca2003.  That's an XP driver that works for win 7 32bit.  I tried the version that came with my p5ad2-e premium motherboard that contains the CMI9880, that version did not work but after a lot of searching I found 5.12.1.8.  For anyone looking I've uploaded it here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/CMI9880_5.12.1.8.zip

I didn't mess with the ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY Driver but I'll look at that later.  For anyone that is still in doubt:

1. Download that file, extract it to it's own folder. 
    2. Then go to the Device Manager. 
    3. Extend the 'Sound, video and game controllers' category.
    4. Find your sound card, mine said something generic like High Definition Audio Device.
    5. Right click and select 'Update driver software...".
    6. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software' option and navigate to the extracted .zip folder. Click Next and install.

Restart.  Worked for me just fine on an Asus p5ad2-e premium motherboard and the 32bit version of Windows 7.
    • Edited by goldtophero Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:16 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SteveMinSD Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:35 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Thank you goldtophero,
    Unfortunately my System is telling me that "I have the latest driver" when installing this one - so the driver is installed, but not working.
    Kinf regards
    Martin
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:09 AM
  • I'm not sure why that would be unless you mistakenly clicked to let Windows automatically search your computer and the internet for the latest drivers (after step 5).  If that's the case make sure you are choosing the bottom option to 'Browse my computer for driver software - locate and install driver software manually'.

Here are some pictures for steps 5 and 6 just to be clear:
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/updatedriver5.JPG
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/updatedriver6.JPG

If that's not the case, I would uninstall the driver by right clicking it in the device manager.  Then I would try those steps again from scratch.  That's what I had to do with the older driver that I tried to use. If that doesn't work, what kind of motherboard to you have?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Hey Goldtophero,

You said that you were able to get the CMI9880 driver 512.18 to work on your P5AD2-E Premium mobo.  I have the same mobo but for some reason I can't get the 512.18 driver to work.

I'm going through the same problem as Martin where Windows 7 is saying that I have the latest driver.  I've pretty much followed your instructions down to the letter but still no results. 

I'm running on Windows 7 x64 bit.  Is CMI9880 driver not compatible with x64bit OS?

Thanks,

Doug
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Oh, I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I'm running the 32bit version, I'll edit my post.  That must be the problem then, I've read about a lot of compatibility differences between the 32 and 64 bit versions and I'm not sure how to go about finding the right driver.  I would try and appeal to c-media (http://www.cmedia.com.tw/) with an email (or if you feel up to it, directly to ASUS although they might tell you to contact c-media), as I have no way of testing which driver will work.  I would also monitor driver sites like

http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/
    http://www.opendrivers.com/

to see if anything gets uploaded there.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Gold.

Hmm, maybe I should try installing the 32 bit version of Win 7.  So you're saying it works for sure with the 32 bit on the P5AD2-E mobo?

I just want to make sure cuz I reinstalled XP and I don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling Windows only to find out that the CMI9880 driver does not work on Win 7.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I have the Asus P5ad2 Deluxe running 32bit Windows 7 Home Premium, installing the driver from http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/CMI9880_5.12.1.8.zip worked for me after configuring in the CMedia properties as well as setting the default devices in the windows Sound Control Panel.  Thanks guys.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:25 PM
  • goldtophero,

perfect solution: it works for my medion computer, i was quite desperate.

thanks a lot

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:13 AM
  • dootiez,

Asus support provides a WinXP x64 driver v.5.12.1.9(WHQL) for your board here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Using the manual installation method noted above should get those to work. The key is to reboot after the installation procedure.

C-Media does not have generic drivers for this device (9880). Must be unique for Asus. They do however have Win 7 drivers for the 87xx audio devices.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:05 PM
  • I got a PC with a ASUS P5AD2-E Premiun (CMI9880 on mboard) , Windows 7 32 bit installed.

There was no Sound. After about 6 hrs of attempts, I came across your insructions.

I pulled the driver from your site (risky to me) and followed instructions. I worked after reboot.

Thank You,

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Hey Samk4233, glad to know that you got it to work in Win 7-32bit.  I haven't tried installing the audio driver for Win 7-64bit for my Asus P5AD2-E Premium mobo yet.  When I do, I'll post an update.  Thanks to all for helping out! 
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi~

I'm a korean.

I found the answer!

http://forums.playground.ru/software/windows/588096/

Try to visit this site!! :)

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Nothing here worked for me, then i tried this

http://luisprato.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!FA4FD9B4DCAB3BC!1492.entry?dir=Next&ph=FA4FD9B4DCAB3BC!1525

works great.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Thanks coolchang and bbbobb for posting solutions.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Thanks Goldtophero!

I had tried numerous drivers/solutions but this finally worked for me.  I think I was running into the problem that others were with the manual install.  Windows kept trying to take over or disallow the process, but your instructions got me through.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Yoooooo waddup homieeez!!!!

i feel all you frustrations. ran in 2 the same problem!! first roll a big spliff!

helps against stress :)

to make things simple for people who have sound problems (all devices including sound) :

ALL WINDOWS XP 32-BIT DRIVERS RUNS ON WINDOWS 7 - 32-BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL WINDOWS XP 64-BIT DIRVERS RUNS ON WINDOWS 7- 64BIT!!!!!!

• dont use vista drivers, those bring problems!!!!!

the only thing you have to do is install the drivers manually

• Proposed as answer by BigD87 Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:50 AM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:50 AM
  • FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MANUAL INSTALL TRY THIS..

IF YOU GET THE "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE MOST UP TO DATE DRIVER" OR WHATEVER IT SAYS..

FIRST OFF DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER HERE: http://home.hiwaay.net/~wwithero/CMediaWin7Driver/CMI9880_5.12.1.8.zip AND EXTRACT TO ITS OWN FOLDER..

NOW:

1. OPEN DEVICE MANAGER

2. RIGHT CLICK YOUR SOUND DRIVER (HDA DEVICE)

3. CHOOSE UPDATE DRIVER, THEN "BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE"

4. CHOOSE "LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVIE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER"

5. CHOOSE "HAVE DISK..."

6. NOW BROWSE TO THE SPECIFIED FOLDER (CDM9880_5.12.1.8 FOR ME)

7. 2 INFORMATION FILES WILL APPEAR.. CHOOSE "CMHDA".. CONTINUE TO OPEN

8. CLICK "NEXT" AND CHOOSE "YES" WHEN THE "UPDATE DRIVER WARNING" PROMPT COMES UP

9. IT SHOULD INSTALL FLAWLESSLY =D!!!

I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32 BIT ON THE MSI-7058 MB

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE ANYTHING WORK! THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE TOO!

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:56 PM
  • I was able to get sound on a ASUS P5AD2-Premium Mobo with CMI 9880 sound, using the 5.12.18 driver.  However, i was wondering, while i do have sound, it does not show via Win7 control panel Sound that i have surround speakers (2 pairs, center and sub).  it only shows the front pair.  No jack sensing.

I then installed the cm 3-D audio configuration, which does recognize the jacks, i was able to assign the speakers (front, Center, surround, and sub) however, the control panel only shows one pair of speakers.  so basically i am getting only 2 channel sound. and when i test, all speakers are getting the same 2 channels.

anyone able to get jack sensing, and to recognize surround speakers via Win7 Control Panel Sound?

FYI-  installed cmedia manually (sound worked, 2 channel only). than installed older version of cmedia via setup.exe and ran in compatible mode (so i could get the CM-3D Audio Config).  than i manually updated the drivers back to 5.12.18.  (no change, sound, but only 2 channels).

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Doug

FYI

I down loaded the Windows XP 64 bit driver from Asus for a P5GDC-V Deluxe

I loaded the driver  manually into Windows 7 64bit and it has worked.

The loading of the driver did not finish completely ...it stumbled ...after a fairly long wait ... a message came up telling me to contact the hardware supplier (Asus)

But I restarted my PC and the sound is now working.

regards

Bobl200

• Proposed as answer by DEEPAK CHETHAN Friday, December 20, 2013 3:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DEEPAK CHETHAN Friday, December 20, 2013 3:14 PM
    Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:31 PM
  • When i try to manually install a c-media driver on P5GD2-TVM/GB/SI it says that it needs a interactive window station. What should i do. and this link provided above  is also not working.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:19 PM