none
how to limit the mem usage of chkdsk.exe in win7 x64?

Question

• it uses (over time) all the RAM available in my PC and sometimes causes vram errors and making the PC so slow that i have to reboot as i can't do anything else.

this is an issue that's happened on various PCs of mine, with different hardware, different clean installs of win7 home so am not looking to troubleshoot why it's using so much RAM.  as far as i'm concerned at this point it's just a bug in win7.

what i am looking for is to limit the RAM that a specific process has access to.

thanks.  (sorry about the bolded parts but i've gone through this on different forums including this one a while back and everyone focuses on the troubleshooting bit).

Tom

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• contact the support if you think this is a bug and request a fix for it.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:48 PM
  • As Andre said, running chkdsk so frequently is really quite unnecessary, but it's your prerogative to do so if you want.  Also keep in mind that on all NT versions it has always been considered very bad practice to use the computer while running chkdsk, if you really insist on running chkdsk so often schedule it to run when you are not using the computer.

The memory usage is by design, you have to understand how CPU intensive it is to scan all the sectors on today's large hard drives to understand why chkdsk was designed that way.  Of course this could be changed, you can submit a request to Microsoft and see if it leads anywhere... but then if they change the design of the utility other complaints will start to come in lamenting how ridiculously long it takes to run the /r switch on 750GB or on Terabyte sized drives...

John

Friday, March 04, 2011 1:48 PM

All replies

• this is not possible:

What we do with a bug report?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:06 PM
  • that's a shame as it's making it near impossible to do a scandisk.

whether this bug was caused by good intentions or not doesn't matter.  if the drive is quite full, it freezes my system.

someone on another forum suggested trying to do it with linux, so i'll give that a shot.

thanks for the reply :)

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:03 PM
  • boot from the Windows 7 DVD or Windows Recovery Environment (F8)[1] and run the command prompt and run chkdsk as a workaround there.

André

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:03 PM
  • thanks, someone else suggested running it like that (other forum) but the problem there is, it takes a good while and that way would leave me unable to really use my PC in a normal manner wouldn't it?
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:00 PM
  • How often do you run chkdsk? I mean this happens only sometimes. And if you have file system issues, do you work that time and risk data loss?

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:16 PM
  • every few weeks.  working while doing a scan isn't an issue for the most part as internal drives don't give me grief (not full), but the backup USB drive is causing probs.

also, it's the thought that the system is doing something silly that i can't stop it doing.  same as changing folder layouts to 'video', 'music' etc etc in spite of me never having chosen an option to let it do this.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I ran chkdsk the last 5 years 1 time! If this happens every few weeks, you have an issue with your used software.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:34 PM
  • it dosn't " do it" every few weeks.  when windows feels the need to check a disk, it doesn't do it in windows and force a bad sector search.

i *decide* to run a check before doing some backups to veryify disks.  ive had failures in the past with bad sectors and couldnt recover all data.  if worse comes to worse and i need the backup due to an internal drive failure, then i want any faults in the drive found asap.

anyway, the problem here is the bug in windows that decides to use all the systems RAM without giving me a say in the matter.  my pc, my choice - or it should be,

Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:25 PM
  • contact the support if you think this is a bug and request a fix for it.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:48 PM
  • As Andre said, running chkdsk so frequently is really quite unnecessary, but it's your prerogative to do so if you want.  Also keep in mind that on all NT versions it has always been considered very bad practice to use the computer while running chkdsk, if you really insist on running chkdsk so often schedule it to run when you are not using the computer.

The memory usage is by design, you have to understand how CPU intensive it is to scan all the sectors on today's large hard drives to understand why chkdsk was designed that way.  Of course this could be changed, you can submit a request to Microsoft and see if it leads anywhere... but then if they change the design of the utility other complaints will start to come in lamenting how ridiculously long it takes to run the /r switch on 750GB or on Terabyte sized drives...

John

Friday, March 04, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Chkdsk doesn't immediately use all available RAM, it just continues to use more until little or none remains. The only way I have found to work around this is to start a process that uses a quantity of RAM that you want available while chkdsk runs (a RAM drive or virtual machine works well for me). Once chkdsk hits the limit of free RAM, it stops; at that point, you can release the other program and chkdsk will work with what it has while the RAM you just freed is available for general computing. A more complicated solution for scanning secondary disks would be to create a virtual machine for the purpose (with limited RAM) and mount the entire physical disk to the VM for scanning; I leave the details to the pursuer. Another piece of advice is to make sure your computer has the extra processor resources available (extra cores more than speed), as running a chkdsk can be somewhat CPU intensive, especially if it's running on disk with problems or a USB connected drive. I would agree that it would be nice to have an option somewhere (command line or registry) that would artificially limit the use of RAM. If it's going to take over an hour to run, it doesn't matter if it takes an extra thirty minutes; some of us scan lots of other people's disks but don't have a whole computer to spare for the purpose. -ppc
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:59 AM
  • There's a workaround if you have plenty of RAM and happen to run a 64-bit version of Windows, which is pretty dumb but useful. Run the 32-bit chkdsk.exe in C:\Windows\SysWoW64\ instead, its RAM usage will be constrained because of 32-bit program limitations.

I managed to run two instances of chkdsk capped @ around 3GiBs of RAM usage each:

This is far from perfect, but at least your PC would be usable with not-so-RAM-intensive tasks on your hand.

• Proposed as answer by Tenyu huang Wednesday, August 03, 2016 5:12 PM
    • Edited by Tenyu huang Wednesday, August 03, 2016 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2016 5:11 PM