none
usoclient.exe pop-up window at start up RRS feed

All replies

• Try a clean boot and check the results. 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Monday, May 30, 2016 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:30 PM
  • I see this command promt window starting up at every logon on all my machines. Same behavior is reported here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/usoclient-popup/3980390b-32c6-4325-b7ee-033daaf23787?auth=1

I didn´t find any task scheduler though. All computers are part of domain and using Confmgr for gathering software updates.

Has anyone solved yet?

In Task Scheduler: \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hi yannara,

What is your current situation?

Have you checked the task shared by Don?

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Sorry for this delay, I´ve been busy. This behavior occures on all my domain computers and I would like to disable or hide this via Group Policy Preferences. But here is the problem - if I start to clone this task, in AD GPO I don´t have an option "configure for Windows 10". I only have W2008, W7. Is there a way to import this into AD and disable or hide it?

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:01 PM
  • Hi yannara,

May the ADMX for Windows 10 help here?

Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257

Merry Chrismas

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 25, 2015 3:14 AM
  • They are in use already, but I´m using W2012 R2 server for modifying them. Perhaps I should install RSOP on W10 client machine.
    Saturday, December 26, 2015 12:12 PM
  • And here comes the problem;

In Windows 10 RSOP, I have no option to Configure for Windows 10. I don´t think it will work, if I set it to Windows 7...

Sunday, December 27, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Oh yannara,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will collect this from my side, if any helpful information, I will udpate here.

Regards

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Oh yannara,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will collect this from my side, if any helpful information, I will udpate here.

Regards

Any news about this? Otherwise I could open a new thread in GPO forum...
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Hello!

There is a task in "Task Scheduler->Microsoft->Windows->UpdateOrchestrator->Shedule Scan" which runs usoclient.exe. So I think you should configure that task as you need :) (change Truggers OR disable that task).

Best regards, Ilyas.

PS: I hope it helps....

... just a good sysadmin ...

• Proposed as answer by J W Morgan Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Hello!

There is a task in "Task Scheduler->Microsoft->Windows->UpdateOrchestrator->Shedule Scan" which runs usoclient.exe. So I think you should configure that task as you need :) (change Truggers OR disable that task).

Best regards, Ilyas.

PS: I hope it helps....

... just a good sysadmin ...

Is this doable in GPMC?
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:40 PM
  • usoclient.exe is the replacement for windows update. please, don't say "it's a registry problem" or indicate that it's a potential virus. it's not. it's part of the windows operating system.

i hate people that think every new file has to be a virus without checking it out correctly.

• Proposed as answer by J W Morgan Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Thank you. Where do we check things like this out? This is the only place I could find to explain the usoclient.exe that was installed on July 16, 2016 and has been causing a pop-up window that goes by too quickly to read -- until today.
    Friday, October 21, 2016 7:05 PM
  • USOclient.exe searches for updates that are setup without WSUS or going to the internet, in other words a proprietary solution is running the updates.  It runs as a Task from Group Policies.  If you are seeing the pop-up command screen it means the administrator forgot to make the Task not only 'Hidden' but under the command of the SYSTEM.

Here is a link outside TechNet that explains how to strap the Task configuration so the user does not see the background activity shown to the screen.

https://www.howtogeek.com/tips/how-to-run-a-scheduled-task-without-a-command-window-appearing/

And to answer your question...It takes searching, reading, searching, reading and more reading to find good answers with a lot of misguided suggestions along the way, but some good places to start are TechNet, HowtoGeek, and Tomshardware.  Good Luck.

For what it's worth, here is a link to Windows Update: Control and Isolation

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/39949.windows-update-control-and-isolation.aspx

• Proposed as answer by ValTice Friday, October 27, 2017 6:47 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 6:45 PM