none
Win7 Home Premium upgrade to Win7 Pro

Question

• I have a Win7 Pro upgrade disk.  I've been warned that utilizing it will wipe out my existing programs and files.  If this is true, how can I back up my programs AND my files so as to reinstall them after the upgrade?
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:32 PM

Answers

• I would start by trying to use the key you have for Pro by selecting the Anytime Upgrade and typing that key for the Upgrade Key.  If it works you don't have to worry about your programs, data, and settings because the "upgrade" only "unlocks" additional features in Windows 7.

If, for some reason the Anytime Upgrade will not accept you Pro key, the your other option is to use the Windows 7 Windows Easy Transfer program to export your data and settings.  After installing the Pro, you then use the Windows Easy Transfer to import those data and settings.  You will have to re-install any programs as Windows Easy Transfer does not export nor import programs. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:40 PM
  • On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:32:14 +0000, bariStan wrote:

I have a Win7 Pro upgrade disk.  I've been warned that utilizing it will wipe out my existing programs and files.  If this is true, how can I back up my programs AND my files so as to reinstall them after the upgrade?

Who warned you? Upgrading from one edition of Windows 7 Home Premium
    to another should not do anything to existing programs or data files.

However, it is always wise to recognize that problems can occur, and
    the prudent course is before starting, to make backups of anything you
    can't afford to lose.

However, note that backups of programs are useless. if you lose any
    programs you will have to reinstall them from their original media.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    • Marked as answer by bariStan Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:20 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:56 PM

All replies

• I would start by trying to use the key you have for Pro by selecting the Anytime Upgrade and typing that key for the Upgrade Key.  If it works you don't have to worry about your programs, data, and settings because the "upgrade" only "unlocks" additional features in Windows 7.

If, for some reason the Anytime Upgrade will not accept you Pro key, the your other option is to use the Windows 7 Windows Easy Transfer program to export your data and settings.  After installing the Pro, you then use the Windows Easy Transfer to import those data and settings.  You will have to re-install any programs as Windows Easy Transfer does not export nor import programs. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:40 PM
  • On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:32:14 +0000, bariStan wrote:

I have a Win7 Pro upgrade disk.  I've been warned that utilizing it will wipe out my existing programs and files.  If this is true, how can I back up my programs AND my files so as to reinstall them after the upgrade?

Who warned you? Upgrading from one edition of Windows 7 Home Premium
    to another should not do anything to existing programs or data files.

However, it is always wise to recognize that problems can occur, and
    the prudent course is before starting, to make backups of anything you
    can't afford to lose.

However, note that backups of programs are useless. if you lose any
    programs you will have to reinstall them from their original media.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    • Marked as answer by bariStan Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:20 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:56 PM