none
After Update to Windows 8.1 the svchost.exe consume 10% cpu in endless loop

Question

• Hello,

i checked the problem with Process Explorer and Process Monitor from sysinternals.

The svchost.exe creates thousands of registry reads to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CustomLocale per second.

One of these services causing the infinite loop:

I hope any one can help me.

• Edited by Paradoxon101 Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:30 PM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:05 AM

Answers

• Finally i found the Problem. It was the Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service.

Does Not work correctly on Windows 8.1 now.
    • Marked as answer by Paradoxon101 Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:06 PM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:06 PM

All replies

• I have similiar problem.

After update from 8 to 8.1 processor usage has increased to 10-20 percent when computer is idle.

Most CPU resources is used by netsvcs. But always atleast 10% is used by something that is not listed in task manager or resource monitor.

In task manager I see that CPU usage is about 40% but all processes uses only 10-20 percent.

So probably that is some driver issue but I don't know which one, yet.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Try Process Explorer from TechNet. This tool can display all CPU usages.

On my PC its only the svchost.exe

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:19 AM
  • If i create a new String Value named virtualization with de-DE under CustomLocale, the loop request a virtualization.nlp file on system-drive.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:04 PM
  • I know now, it is the winmgmt service (WMI) that consume my 10% CPU, but why?
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Finally i found the Problem. It was the Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service.

Does Not work correctly on Windows 8.1 now.
    • Marked as answer by Paradoxon101 Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:06 PM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:06 PM
  • In my case the problem was with sdclt.exe - Windows Backup

Task scheduler was starting "sdclt.exe" in the endless loop. Each instance of sdclt was running probably less than 1 second so that's why I do not see it in task manager.

I remove this task and windows is like new :)

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Had the same problem and root cause is not Intel PROSet Monitoring service according to me, but the fact that the Scheduled Task under 'Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\ConfigNotification' starts the following process:

%systemroot%\System32\sdclt.exe /CONFIGNOTIFICATION

Workaround is to either remove or disable this task and reboot your system.

Have already seen this on 2 systems.

• Proposed as answer by maarten.stil Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:39 AM
  • I had been same problem, thank you for solution.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Thanks for this!  This has been driving me nuts.  I tracked it down to the WMI service (under the svchost process).  I could stop WMI and see CPU usage go to normal, but then WMI was restarting on it's own... annoying.  And go back to 10% usage for that total svchost process.

I'd stopped just about every other service on my machine but I hadn't stopped the PROSet service...didn't even occur to me that might be the problem, it's so random.

Sure enough, stopped it and my svchost is back to normal.  I guess it was flooding WMI with something or another, so it wasn't obvious that was the culprit at first glance.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Discovered this couple of minutes ago. SCVHOST with 17~20% CPU Usage and Intel PROset with 5%. When I kill this process (not SCVHOST, Intel PRO...), the bug was fixed. So I sugest running services.msc and disable Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service. 
    • Edited by rodrigoxm49 Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:20 AM
    Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:18 AM
  • Thanks very much for this recommendation.

My PC had become slow as molasses even since I updated from Windows 8 to 8.1, with between 4 to 6 instances of Microsoft Windows Backup processes spawning and respawning and hogging resources.

Your recommendation (to disable the Scheduled Task) has resolved this for me.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:09 AM