none
How can I do that ! RRS feed

• Question

• Please Help. Can I run single boot windows “server 2008 r2” where windows7 and XP Mode both will be run as Virtual machine? One thing I have to know, does Server support XP mode. I have to update windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Standard independently because of duel boot and different partition though there is a lot of update is same. Is there any way to run both the machine in same drive where windows 7 will be worked as a virtual machine under server? I have enough hardware support and licensed copy of both of them.

At present I have a duel boot system w7 in C and Server in D drive. Both are 64 Bit. Is there any way to create IP in Server and Windows 7 will run under that Domain as a virtual machine.  I know it is possible to install w7 as a virtual machine in Server but problem is “It will not run under a domain configuration because I do not know how I can run the virtual machine under a domain”. Does windows Media center and all the updated features of windows 7 will work fine in a virtual machine?

What should the Bios SLIP key in Virtual machine? In a virtual machine if the OEM keys detect as major HW change then Activation will work for w7 or I have to phone call for activation?

Can I run S-W in the server without installing but which are installed at virtual windows 7, like; I can presently use at windows7 from XP Mode?

I have an OEM 64 Bit windows7 Professional. I do not activate my Server 2008 R2 Standard with my key (It is working with 180days activation trial) because of facing the Activation issues later. So I am waiting for a permanent settlement of OS environment. Please help, though I am a home user but I want to create a server environment in my Desktop.

It is my main concern to update a single file (whether it is Windows update for Server/w7/XP-Mode or Visual Studio 2010 Pro or Office 2010 Pro or .net framework or IE8 or whatever it is) all my virtual machine should operate and monitored under the server) through server update which could detect the necessary update for the w7 and XP mode and will delivered them by itself.

How Could I make the environment like that?

Noman Fayez

• Edited by Khan Ahmed Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:55 AM font settings
    • Moved by Aaron.Parker Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:57 PM (From:App-V Server and Management)
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you want to use the Windows Server 2008R2 Hyper-V, and install the Windows 7 to use the XP mode.

I suggest you install both Windows 7 and Windows XP in the Hyper-V, it can provide more functionality of Windows XP.

Since this question is related to the server, I recommend you also ask this question in Windows Server Forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other communities who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Dera Yao

According to your suggestions. I have submitted the same question at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/1b95cdc1-7ff3-48ed-a6e2-7a0c37296e6d

thanks for your reply! I have been waiting too long but do not find any clue now. I have a high speed data modem EV-DO but no LAN connection. Server got the internet connection after installing the modem S_W but I have failed to establish internet connection to virtual pc. both w7 and XP -Mode are asking for activation !

Noman Fayez
    Friday, November 26, 2010 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you want to use the Windows Server 2008R2 Hyper-V, and install the Windows 7 to use the XP mode.

I suggest you install both Windows 7 and Windows XP in the Hyper-V, it can provide more functionality of Windows XP.

Since this question is related to the server, I recommend you also ask this question in Windows Server Forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other communities who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Dera Yao

According to your suggestions. I have submitted the same question at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/1b95cdc1-7ff3-48ed-a6e2-7a0c37296e6d

thanks for your reply! I have been waiting too long but do not find any clue now. I have a high speed data modem EV-DO but no LAN connection. Server got the internet connection after installing the modem S_W but I have failed to establish internet connection to virtual pc. both w7 and XP -Mode are asking for activation !

Noman Fayez
    Friday, November 26, 2010 10:40 AM