none
Cannot Format Disk

Question

• HI,

I was installing a win7 professional edition last Friday but during the installation process a blue screen appeared noting an error occur. After restarting my PC, at first I cannot boot using my ROM Drive. Then I turn off my PC for a while and tuned it on again. On my second attempt I was able to boot but on the disk selection menu of the installation. I tried to format my partitions but an error dialog box pop up and says unable to format disk, error 0x80070057. I tried to delete all the partitions and format the whole disk but still same error occur. I also tried to format it using a XP installer but still error. My hard disk is an 80GB seagate. Is there anyone who knows how to resolve this problem?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Use the XP disk and recovery console to check the HD for errors and repair. Delete all partitions. Install OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314058

Tom
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Error code 0x80070057 is usually caused by limited permissions, invalid or corrupted disks. It seems that the disk drive isn't recognized well on your computer. I recommend you to load a new disk driver during the disk selection prompt. Moreover, you'd better make sure that the BIOS is updated and select the right disk controller in BIOS. If you use IDE mode, you can try switch to AHCI mode.

Reference:

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Why is it so hard to get a simple answer?  I have a new internal drive and I tried to reinstall Windows 7 because of some error messages and W7 was unable to repair and now my c: drive not only does not work, I am getting the MS Dos prompt with an "X" drive (something like adminsitrator x:\windows\system 32.  I've tried to delete, clean etc. from diskpart commands, etc. to no avail.  When I try to enter the format c: (or x:) command I keep getting asked for a volume name.

I tried the windows 7 command (versus windows rollback) command from the startup but with windows 7 the computer goes into "repair mode" and end up with the x: drive command prompt.  Surely I don't have to take out the hard drive, donate it to Good Will and start over!  Perhaps on this new drive I can install Windows XP to have a refreshed OS so that I can go back a do a format disk from the properties tab?  No need to back up any files since this is a new drive with nothing on it that can be reloaded.

Anything I've seen for responses is pretty well designed for advance users.  While I'm not a total moron pertaining to computers, a simple positive response would be helpful.  Thanks!!!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Have a look here and see if the instructiosn for a clean install are useful for you.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Tom

Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:53 AM