none
SQL Virtual Instance TempDB RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Biztalk server 2016 environment fully virtual which has a SQL Server 2016 VM

In order for my BTS to be high performant the best practice suggests having tempDB on a separate drive, 

Should I attach a separate LUN for tempDB of the Virtual instance of my SQL Server to be high performant?

What all can be done for a virtual instance to be high performant?

Please advice, I don't have flex of using SSD at the moment unfortunately.

TIA

SV

• Edited by vai2000 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:35 PM

All replies

• Best practice is to always separate data, log and tempdb onto different LUNs.  However, with new storage engines, this is less and less of an issue and depending on the situation may make no difference at all.

I would not do anything, unless you are actually having an issue.  Then work on that issue, not generalities.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi vai2000,

Please check if below link could help you. Configuration Best Practices for SQL Server Tempdb–Placement

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:18 AM