Anywhere access not able to login RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have installed Windows Server 2012 essentials and configured Anywhere Access using Microsoft Personalized Domain Name (xyz.remotewebaccess.com). I have setup the router using setup wizard. I have created an additional user and given him administrator access. My understanding is administrators have anywhere access by default, and there are no additional steps required to setup user.

When I access https://xyz.remotewebaccess.com/remote from a remote network, I get a remote web access login page. When I try to login using admin credentials or additional user credentials, I am getting error: "The user name or password is incorrect. Verify that CAPS LOCK is off and then retype your user name and password". I have also tried prefixing DomainName\username, still get same error.

If I access https://localhost/remote on the server, I see the same login page. And I am able to login successfully using same admin credentals.

Can someone please guide me to fix this problem?

Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:54 AM

All replies

• Permission to access Remote Web Access is not automatically granted when you add a new user account. When you add a user account, you can choose to allow access to shared folders, the Media Library, computers, Home page links, and the server Dashboard. You can also specify that a user not be allowed to use Remote Web Access. please see detail here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/manage-remote-web-access-in-windows-server-essentials

Sunday, December 10, 2017 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that domain account failed to log on RWA from external network with error "The user name or password is incorrect. Verify that CAPS LOCK is off and then retype your user name and password", while it can successfully log in locally(internal network) on the Essentials Server.

By default, admin account(created via Dashboard – USERS – add a user account – choose Level of access as Administrator) has full access permission of Anywhere Access. As account properties displays:

>"The user name or password is incorrect. Verify that CAPS LOCK is off and then retype your user name and password"
    Please try to create new administrator account via Dashboard, then, open Active Directory Users and Computers – find this new user account – open Properties Account – unchecked User must change password at next logon option belongs to Account options – save the change.

Then, try to log on remote using this new admin account(format as <domain name>\<user account>) and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thank you so much for your response!!

As per your suggestion, I did create new user with a Administrator level access from Dashboard.

Then I went to User account properties in Active Directory Users and Computers. I see that "User must change password at next logon" is unchecked by default. I did keep it unchecked and tried to login remotely. But I was getting same error. Then I checked "User must change password at next logon", saved changes and tried to login again. Still getting same error.

Are there any other user account configurations that need to be done?

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:00 AM