none
Changing the "grant or deny permission to use this key" prompt in Windows 7

Question

• Our company uses personal certificates to sign documents.  We store our certificates in the personal certificate store on each machine.  The certificates are imported using strong key protection. and we change the security level to high in order to password protect the private key.  In Windows XP there was a nice prompt when accessing the private key, but in Windows 7 there's a "grant or deny permission to use this key" prompt, which happens to be confusing for our users since when rejecting a document they have to grant permission to the private key.  Is there any way to change Windows 7 to use the old prompt?  I figured it was a shot in the dark, but there was an undocumented registry setting that helped us in the past with something similar and I was hoping for the same here.  Thanks!

-Tom

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:45 PM

Answers

• I am afraid that there is no way to change it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:11 AM

All replies

• I am afraid that there is no way to change it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi Tom,

can you make screenshots of the Windows 7 and XP dialogs? I have no idea what you want to have changed.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:29 PM