none
Find original upgrade date of Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know the original upgrade date which I performed in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I know we shall find original OS install date by systeminfo but is there any way to find in-place upgrade date?

And also can we find whether present windows 10 OS was done by in-place upgrade or Clean install?

Regards,

Mani

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Ricky,

We found registry value to find it (If the ISO prepared through deployment workbench - MDT and have to check the RAW ISO behavior).

Reg path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Deployment 4

DWORD: Deployment Type

Reg Value for clean install:

DWORD value would be "NEWCOMPUTER"

Reg Value for In-place upgrade:

DWORD value would be "UPGRADE"

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

"I would like to know the original upgrade date which I performed in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10."
    Please check the Setupact.log, there should be more detailed information recorded in Setupact.log when you performed in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    Path: %windir%\panther

"And also can we find whether present windows 10 OS was done by in-place upgrade or Clean install?"
    There will be a Windows.old folder on C:\ drive if you performed upgrade to get Windows 10 within 3 days. But one month after you upgrade to Windows 10, it will be automatically deleted from your PC, kindly notice that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Hi Rick_Li,

Thanks for your reply. As we know that we crossed free upgrade date, I am doing audit for my infrastructure regarding this In-place upgrade and Clean install. The thing is I dont see windows.old because Windows 10 is being deployed to clients since last 3 months and I could see panther folder but it is empty :( . Is there any registry value that I can see in those systems? If any I would write some script to gather those details. Thanks again.

Regards,

Mani

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hi ,

"I could see panther folder but it is empty"
    To my knowledge, Setupact.log is most useful, please search "Setupact.log " in Windows Explorer to check if it is stored in another location.

If there is no Setupact.log indeed, please open Event View to check setup log, it should also store some information about setup that might be useful.
    Path:Event View>Windows Logs>Setup

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hi Ricky,

We found registry value to find it (If the ISO prepared through deployment workbench - MDT and have to check the RAW ISO behavior).

Reg path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Deployment 4

DWORD: Deployment Type

Reg Value for clean install:

DWORD value would be "NEWCOMPUTER"

Reg Value for In-place upgrade:

DWORD value would be "UPGRADE"

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Did you succeed upgrade windows 7 to windows 10? let me know...
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:35 AM