none
explorer.exe bug? Need help! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a msi GX740 running on Windows 7 home premium and I download updates from Windows Update quite often. This is a used laptop that I've had for 2 months. The first month, it didn't have any problem. But I *THINK* after I got an 'Assassin's Creed 4' theme , this bug has started to occur. The booting of Windows is quite fast. But after I log in,  it would be a blank screen for like 3-5 minutes before the GUI comes. This is NOT caused by lag. Programs can be started using task manager-> new task. A temporary fix for this bug is Task manager->end explorer.exe->new task-> explorer.exe but do I really have to wait 3-5minutes or restart explorer.exe every boot? I've tried so many things, like uninstalling/deleting a lot of shit, using the default windows theme, but nothing is working... Please help, thanks in advance.

btw i've scanned this computer for virus using avast and malwarebytes.
    • Edited by foothorski Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:23 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

OK, first let's disable (by clearing checkboxes in AutoRuns) the following start-up items:

• {BD9126BB-F1B3-4891-A758-E0B828387033} (it belongs to Assassins Creed and, as you said, issues seem to have started after installing it)
    • LiveUpdateSvc (part of IObit, which you already removed)
    • ExplorerWnd (part of IObit, which you already removed)
    • Advanced SystemCare Browser Protection (part of IObit, which you already removed)

In addition, you might optionally want to disable the following if you are not using them:

• MGSysCtrl (usually there's no need running various control-panel-type application in the background. They can be launched when needed)

Please let me know the results.

• Marked as answer by foothorski Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please download Process Monitor and run it. Once started, click Options -> Enable Boot Logging -> OK. Now close Process Monitor and reboot the machine. Once it boots and everything starts (wait for explorer.exe to start instead of killing it), run Process Monitor again. It should automatically say that there's a boot log available and ask you if you want to save it. Save it, compress the PML file and upload it to SkyDrive (or some other service). Share the link here.

Thank you.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hello,

please download  and run it. Once started, click Options -> Enable Boot Logging -> OK. Now close Process Monitor and reboot the machine. Once it boots and everything starts (wait for explorer.exe to start instead of killing it), run Process Monitor again. It should automatically say that there's a boot log available and ask you if you want to save it. Save it, compress the PML file and upload it to  (or some other service). Share the link here.

Thank you.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E7B6B20427EB24C6%21163

• Edited by foothorski Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Well, the first issue is that you have more than one anti-malware product installed and running on your system. From the trace, I see the following:

That is a very (!) bad approach and it is very likely to cause huge performance issues on your computer. I would strongly remove you at least two of them, starting with the ones from IObit and Malwarebytes.

Let me know if that helps. In case it don't, please repeat the procedure in my previous post to generate a new trace log.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:52 AM
  • Well, the first issue is that you have more than one anti-malware product installed and running on your system. From the trace, I see the following:

That is a very (!) bad approach and it is very likely to cause huge performance issues on your computer. I would strongly remove you at least two of them, starting with the ones from IObit and Malwarebytes.

Let me know if that helps. In case it don't, please repeat the procedure in my previous post to generate a new trace log.

As expected(by me), it didn't work. I've had older PCs did the same thing, 3 antiviruses, but no such issues. And I've had these 3 programs installed the day I got this laptop but it's only happening now. I uninstalled iobit and malwarebytes, but it's still happening. I've uploaded a new boot log without malwarebytes and iobit below. Thanks for helping :^)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E7B6B20427EB24C6%21710

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

I am actually a bit surprised that it didn't helped, because the first and the new traces are very different.

As you can see in the image below, which represents the first trace, there were 8 minutes delay between starts of smss.exe and explorer.exe (it matches the issue you described in your first post):

Now if we look into the new trace, the delay is ~30 seconds only, which is quite normal:

Now what I do not like is that even you removed IObit, it is still here and doing something for a minute.

Could you please download and run (as administrator) Autoruns application? Once it finishes scanning the system, click File -> Save and upload the report. We will look into startup items we can disable (including IObit ones).

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am actually a bit surprised that it didn't helped, because the first and the new traces are very different.

As you can see in the image below, which represents the first trace, there were 8 minutes delay between starts of smss.exe and explorer.exe (it matches the issue you described in your first post):

Could you please download and run (as administrator) application? Once it finishes scanning the system, click File -> Save and upload the report. We will look into startup items we can disable (including IObit ones).

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E7B6B20427EB24C6%21711

Here it is. Sorry for the late reply, I was overseas for the past few days...

Btw, one weird thing I've noticed is that after uninstalling the 2 programs, I've booted my laptop a few times and my desktop loaded up immediately after log in(just like the usual) , the delay from the "Welcome" screen to the all my desktop icons loaded up was like less than 5 seconds. And also, what I don't get is why explorer.exe would load so slowly but if I restarted it, it would load up fast?

• Edited by foothorski Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

OK, first let's disable (by clearing checkboxes in AutoRuns) the following start-up items:

• {BD9126BB-F1B3-4891-A758-E0B828387033} (it belongs to Assassins Creed and, as you said, issues seem to have started after installing it)
    • Advanced SystemCare Browser Protection (part of IObit, which you already removed)

In addition, you might optionally want to disable the following if you are not using them:

• MGSysCtrl (usually there's no need running various control-panel-type application in the background. They can be launched when needed)

• Marked as answer by foothorski Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

all right, booted twice after this, it's back to normal again! Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:20 PM