none
problem with cloned HD-wont boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,  have a PC that HDD is pre fail.  I cloned an existing working HD (win7 premium sp1 64 bit)  and put the clone into PC that has failing HD with idea of a take-over.tried all sorts of things, doesnt seem to recognise it or boot up.

Both PC run win 7, old pc is earler version MBoard, new PC is better , runs i7 with more RAM. Failing HDD is 2TB, cloned  one is 1Tb. 'List disc' in CMD  doesn't show the second drive , as well as using 'manage' in computing, 'disc management' shows only 1 disc,no media in other disc slots?? have checked connections, sata etc..

trying the cloned disc alone leads to a loop ..loading windows and eventually insert boot media... sounds a bit like cloning didn't work properly even though both look similar contents  when opened and examined.

some ideas on net seem to imply HD needs to "know" the PC or vsv whatever that means?

open to ideas pls.

MG.  IT pretender.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:49 AM

Answers

• hi all and David, to a certain extent, yes. have discovered clone'' works best with hdd of same size for a start, if different, copy'' is supposed to work. tried chkdsk/f  to look for errors only to be told hd was marked read only somehow. investigated getting rid of this, using cmd as admin, tried list disk, select disk, ...attributes disk clear readonly.   this came up as insufficient authority to do !  it gets better!

a bit more looking into it.. hullo powershell as admin, apparently a more powerful way...

PS c:\ >set-disk-number ( your disk number) -isreadonly $false.  ...........at least it tries. 

now i get.. cant as is a ""critical disk""! ( Not a critical disk error)   look that up! ( critical/non critical) ..  apparently manufacturers tweak their  hd's to run best with there own pc's, so trying to put a seagate into a dell or trying to put a clone'' into a HP will give all sorts of gremlins. 

i have tried some of my drives in as many as 3 seperate pc's and have had a variety of responses from blue screen to nil ..!!

note: clone tried with Active @ X  and other cloners.   Thanks all.   MG.

so i mainly solve the problem with a its in the hard basket answer!!

• Marked as answer by mikkyg Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to the link below to see if any help:

How to Fix Cloned Hard Drive Won’t Boot

https://www.easeus.com/landing/seo/cloned-drive-wont-boot-issue.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:48 PM
  • A clone of Windows from a computer with different hardware (especially CPU and chip set) will usually fail in this manner.  It can sometimes be done using a product like Acronis with Universal Restore or other products designed for that purpose.  Note that this is complicated. Even when you are able to circumvent the hardware compatibility issues, the Windows license and activation will likely be a problem.

Here's one example -

Restore System to Dissimilar Hardware with EaseUS Todo Backup

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/restore-system-to-dissimilar-hardware.html

• Edited by GTS-NJ Thursday, April 4, 2019 3:11 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 3:10 PM
  • Hi, 
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 2:13 AM
  • hi all and David, to a certain extent, yes. have discovered clone'' works best with hdd of same size for a start, if different, copy'' is supposed to work. tried chkdsk/f  to look for errors only to be told hd was marked read only somehow. investigated getting rid of this, using cmd as admin, tried list disk, select disk, ...attributes disk clear readonly.   this came up as insufficient authority to do !  it gets better!

a bit more looking into it.. hullo powershell as admin, apparently a more powerful way...

PS c:\ >set-disk-number ( your disk number) -isreadonly $false.  ...........at least it tries. 

now i get.. cant as is a ""critical disk""! ( Not a critical disk error)   look that up! ( critical/non critical) ..  apparently manufacturers tweak their  hd's to run best with there own pc's, so trying to put a seagate into a dell or trying to put a clone'' into a HP will give all sorts of gremlins. 

i have tried some of my drives in as many as 3 seperate pc's and have had a variety of responses from blue screen to nil ..!!

note: clone tried with Active @ X  and other cloners.   Thanks all.   MG.

so i mainly solve the problem with a its in the hard basket answer!!

• Marked as answer by mikkyg Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:38 AM
  • thansk, have found that out.  didnt try easeus.   see my last comment. its hard basket now. 

MG.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:39 AM
  • thanks.  see my last post. 

MG.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:40 AM
  • Youre configuration(s) are not a default Windows OS set up..1st,a clone or mirror of the OS can be done from the same pc,mirroring/clone from a different pc can not work because of the configurations set thru a pc to the OS...Also,most Win OS only get cloned by XCOPY/or Robocopy,both are installed to Win 7 by default..A "Loop" is the least of youre problems,reconfigure Microsoft/Windows defaults & the OS,plus,a HD gets configured in the BIOS,BIOS you fail to mention....
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:55 PM