none
Vista "Locked" background image? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Under Windows XP on our domain computers, when you lock the screen you continue to see your Desktop Background image even when the screen is locked.  (You just have the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to unlock this computer" dialog on the screen too.)

Under Vista Business Edition on our domain computers, when you lock the screen you do not see your background image anymore.  You see the ugly blue-greenish looking screen with a few lines in it.  Is there a way to get Vista to show the desktop background image when the screen is locked like XP does?

Keith

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:19 PM

All replies

•  KHemmelman wrote:

Under Vista Business Edition on our domain computers, when you lock the screen you do not see your background image anymore.  You see the ugly blue-greenish looking screen with a few lines in it.  Is there a way to get Vista to show the desktop background image when the screen is locked like XP does?

Hi Keith.

I just had this issue on Vista Enterprise.  Apparently that image is embedded inside the c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IMAGERES.DLL assembly, which makes things tricky.  I have no idea why this is the case, but it seems necessary to edit the embedded resources of that file to change the image.  You could use an embedded resource editor, but there's also a free tool called LogonStudio which does the same thing, from Stardock.  You can grab it from cnet downloads.

Mike.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:31 AM
  •  

I am having the same issue although slightly different.  I have 2 monitors and it seems to shut off the second monitor all together when locking the PC.  This is windows Ultimate though i know it does the same on Business.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Same. Although the 2nd monitor remains active and I can drag the mouse cursor to the 2nd monitor its just that it does not display a background like the primary monitor does. (its just black)

It would be good if LogonStudio allowed you to change the image on both desktops. I have an Intel card so horizontal span is not an option.

I can have two seperate desktop images once logged in or one that spans both monitors (i use Ultramon for that)

My other PC with Windows XP shows the logon screen exactly how I have it configured for the desktop (ie. Ultramon spanning the image across two desktops) so I find it odd that Vista can not do the same..

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:05 AM