none
video in full screen mode freezing

Question

• I have a Windows XP virtual machine that worked great under Vista.  I've done a clean install of Windows 7 and am using my virtual pc with the Windows 7 integration updates.  If I try to watch a video from WITHIN the virtual PC, the video freezes (audio continues.)  This happens regardless of the software (Real, WMP, Adobe, etc.)

I'm guessing I need to update something else, but don't know where to look.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue can be caused due to the performance of the virtual video card. The virtual video card only can provide the basic features which does not include hardware acceleration and others.

You’d better watch videos on your host machine.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be caused due to the performance of the virtual video card. The virtual video card only can provide the basic features which does not include hardware acceleration and others.

You’d better watch videos on your host machine.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:04 AM
  • So, you're saying that the Windows 7 virtual video card is WORSE than the one in Vista?!?!??!
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:01 PM
  • No, the emulated video card for any VPC VM is the same.  Its software-based, not hardware, is very basic and designed for basic video, not 3d, gaming, full screen video, etc.

You could try VMWare Player or VirtualBox, they use a different emulated video card that has been tweaked for better multimedia performance.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:59 PM
  • yes, I understand that it's software based, but it worked fine under Vista.

May have to move away from Microsoft on yet another platform...

Monday, May 03, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Have you tried updating your video driver on the host?  A buggy host video driver can cause problems like that.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, May 03, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Yep - latest ATI Catalyst 10.4 (I've got a ATI Radeon HD 5870x2) that was released last week.  (It was originally using 10.2)
    Monday, May 03, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Bummer, that's all I know of that could cause that kind of problem...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, May 03, 2010 4:04 PM
  • You're missing a codec. Install Klite codec pack and it will work.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 11:16 PM