none
Need a Dell AIO 964 printer driver for Windows 7 Professional

Question

• I recently upgraded my Vista 32 bit Ultimate operating system to Windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of the 8GB of RAM.  I need a printer driver that will work with my Dell All-In-One 964 Photo printer.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hello B-24Mike,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your printer device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:24 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• You will need to talk to Dell about your situation.  According to Dell your AIO 964 is not Win 7 Compatible:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=79F875067432CBF3E040AE0AB6E14360&docid=362037#Issue3 and since Dell is the manufacturer/vendor of the AIO 964 they are they one and only source for drivers and software for it.  Microsoft doesn't write any software or drivers for third party hardware.

Model 
     Number 
      Specific Windows 7  
      Drivers Available
      Windows 7 Compatible Drivers 
      (Use Vista Drivers)

not available

not available

not available

not available

J740

not available

not available

A920

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

A940

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

A960

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

not available

S2500

not available

not available

S2500n

not available

not available

Table 4: Printers That Are not Compatible with Windows 7

Dell Printers That Are Not Compatible With Windows 7  
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 9:00 PM
  • The problem is not Windows 7 but the 64bit.  Dell would have to provide a driver that is signed.  32 bit Windows 7 could probably use 32 bit driver from XP thats not signed.  The trick is try and run the installer in compatibility mode.  Not a good Idea to run 64 bit until you can account for all drivers you need.  If dell has a 64 bit driver for vista try it with the add hardware wizard.  The other problem relies on the industry.  I remeber when printers were actually line printers.  The new ones print but arent true printers in a sense like a mouse is a mouse or a keyboard is a keyboard.  Printers use LPT or Serial connections with the exception of Network printers.  Take Canon for instance.  They make printers but no drivers for Unix you might get lucky to get mac driver.  There are good printers if you are going new just find something that has a shelf life of more than 2-3 years.  Try vista drivers though I would suggest because they should be the same as Windows 7.  Download from the Site extract the the files.  Don't run an installer.  Locate Vista 64 folder that has .inf and update the problem device in the appropriate node of Device Manager applet under Admin Tools.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 3:11 AM
  • The problem is not Windows 7 but the 64bit.  Dell would have to provide a driver that is signed.  32 bit Windows 7 could probably use 32 bit driver from XP thats not signed.  The trick is try and run the installer in compatibility mode.  Not a good Idea to run 64 bit until you can account for all drivers you need.  If dell has a 64 bit driver for vista try it with the add hardware wizard.  The other problem relies on the industry.  I remeber when printers were actually line printers.  The new ones print but arent true printers in a sense like a mouse is a mouse or a keyboard is a keyboard.  Printers use LPT or Serial connections with the exception of Network printers.  Take Canon for instance.  They make printers but no drivers for Unix you might get lucky to get mac driver.  There are good printers if you are going new just find something that has a shelf life of more than 2-3 years.  Try vista drivers though I would suggest because they should be the same as Windows 7.  Download from the Site extract the the files.  Don't run an installer.  Locate Vista 64 folder that has .inf and update the problem device in the appropriate node of Device Manager applet under Admin Tools.

You CANNOT under any circumstance install a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit system!  There has been information to this fact posted on Microsoft's website since the introduction of Windows XP Professional x64 about 5 years ago!
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:46 PM
  • In what line of this post do i say install a 32bit driver in 64bit system?  Everything else is already implied in everyone elses post here.  I think it would be better to sum it up not even talking about the driver but encouraging others to use 32 bit for the most backwards compatibility.  64bit is new technology and still remains to be proved a viable option in production enviornments.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Hello B-24Mike,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your printer device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:24 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Just spent an hour on phone with Dell Support.....hardware support...printer support.....anyone who would listen.  Bottom line.....there is no driver for the 964 and they don't plan to support it.  They said the printer is an old model....suggested buying a new printer. Oh, and this was after saying my printer was out of warranty, but if I wanted to pay $59.00 they could help me.  Sounds like a way to sell more printers!!!  Pretty much done with Dell!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:28 PM
  • It would have been better to start a new thread, rather than appending this to one that is more than a year old.

Microsoft thinks that the 964 isn't Win7 compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Dell%20964%20Photo%20All-in-One%20Printer&v=Dell&uid=222-0830&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=0&s=964&os=64-bit

I'm a little surprised, as there are supposed to be 32 bit Vista drivers available. The newset drivers are from January 2007, though.

If you want to buy a printer from another manufacturer, and hope for support in future versions of Windows, you might want to check that manufacturer's history of support of old products. You may find that Dell is no worse than their competition. (I'm not praising Dell.)

Friday, December 24, 2010 2:35 AM
  • I don't understand the 946 printer not working with Windows 7 when it worked with my other windows 7 desktop that is no longer working.  I have downloaded the driver for the 946 and it shows up under my printers but unable to get it to work.  I am trying to find out how to get a printer to work from a laptop to the printer.

Linda Lippincott

Friday, April 12, 2013 11:04 PM