none
Printing problems RRS feed

• Question

• We're having many problems but I cannot find the cause. Its of course not all users and not all machines.

We have 1 windows network print server with shared printers. When the problem happens the user cannot print on that PC the printers if already connected cannot be removed. You right click and hit remove device and nothing happens. No error nothing. Some of the errors that pop up if you set one of those printers as default is "catastrophic failure" 

On others if you add a network printer it gets stuck as installing device and never finishes. and is unusable. Others it will appear to install but not show in the control panel but if you open and app and select print they show there. If its a print server problem I'd think it would effect all users.

Can anyone help me

Jason

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:06 PM

All replies

• HI
    1) You right click and hit remove device and nothing happens. No error nothing. Some of the errors that pop up if you set one of those printers as default is "catastrophic failure"
    2) On others if you add a network printer it gets stuck as installing device and never finishes. and is unusable.
    3) Others it will appear to install but not show in the control panel but if you open and app and select print they show there.
    1 from your description , there are above 3 printer problems in your environment ,is it true ?

2 can you enter winver in command prompt on problematical client computer and printer server then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

3 what's the issue printers model ? which printer diver do you use on printer server ?

4 which printer policy did you use ? did you deploy printer policy on printer server by using “the users that this GPO applies to(per user)” or “the computers that this GPO applies to(per machine)” like picture ?
      4.1 did you use GPP user policy or machine policy to deploy printer to all computer ?

6 if there is normal printing computer in your environment ,is there any difference between normal printing computer and issue printing computer ?
    6.1 can you enter below command on both normal printing computer and issue printing computer then look if there are update patch difference ?
     $QFE = Get-hotfix -computername $server | select-object -property Description,HotFixID,InstalledBy,InstalledOn | out-file c:\windows\temp\$server.txt
    change $server to hostname 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:45 AM
  • 1. Yes exactly

2. No its not usable.

3. Yes

1. Yes I suppose it could be 3 different problems.

2. Most are 1809 some are on 1903

3. We have about 300 printers. Various versions of mostly Konica Minolta and some HPs (there seem to be no common model for the problems)

4. For staff we're not deploying via GPO the users add their own

6. I'm not sure of the question

6.1 I'll have to find 2 to try this on

Jason

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Hi Jason,

The problem you are facing is new for this forum . All i was able to get was in a 1 windows network print server 1 printer is connected & it is cannot be removed for the other adding a network printer is a big issue.

Well lets try to configure it out, i usually gives solutions for the printer connecting solution but this this iam been handling disconnecting ( reverse )

For the problem of disconnecting one printer follow the following steps-

Step 1: Stop the installation
    Step 2: Uninstall the printer software
    Step 3: Install the latest software
    Step 4: Reset settings, and then restart your computer

While for the connecting the other printer you need to know to Fix Canon Printer Offline Issue (Please specify with your 2nd printer, i have mentioned steps for canon. It is the same for every printer)

Solution 1: Restarting printer spooler 
    Solution 2: Disabling printer offline feature
    Solution 3: Reinstalling printer software
    Solution 4: Solve the connection issue- 
    Solution 5: Check USB- connection/Check Wireless Connection

Hope this would have solved your query if not then you can refer to the medium i have been through.

Thanks

Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:06 AM
  • By cannot be removed I am referring on the users PC. 

1. When its stuck at "setup in progress" How can I stop it. There are no right click options available on it. Restarting the PC's spooler doesn't do anything.  So the rest of these steps cannot be followed.

Jason

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:25 PM
  • HI
    7 if we do a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) on problematical computer ,will all 3 problems be solved ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:26 PM
  • These are domain computers and that function has been disabled by GPO so I don't know. I have reloaded a few PCs to get them working but I'm looking for a lesser solution as the problem keeps happening.

Jason

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:14 PM
  • HI
    "These are domain computers and that function has been disabled by GPO so I don't know."
    8 when the problem happen ,can you enter service.msc then check if the print spooler service is stopping?
    8.1we can find 2 problematical ,Ensure the latest update has been installed to avoid known issue on both problematical win10(1809) and win10(1903)
    some customers install KB4524147 on win10(1903) and install KB4524148 on win10(1809) ,both patch may cause printer spooler service stop.
    Windows Updates KB4524147 and KB4517211 cause print spooler errors and missing printers
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/faec4c6c-e2f5-4878-8745-3dee4178ba01/windows-updates-kb4524147-and-kb4517211-cause-print-spooler-errors-and-missing-printers?forum=win10itprogeneral

9 " When its stuck at "setup in progress" How can I stop it. There are no right click options available on it"
    we can find the printer setup process in process item in "task manager".i am not sure if you can use local admin to uninstall all third party printer ,then reinstall these printer again.
    10 if the problem persist ,we can run below command in command prompt(open as admin) and check if there is system error.
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:06 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:06 PM
  • HI
    is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, October 25, 2019 2:44 PM