none
Unable to configure or access VPN in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my Dell laptop to Windows 10.  I need to set up a VPN to an academic cluster about 5000 miles away.  While I was easily able to set up the VPN on my Windows 7 desktop machine, I am completely unable to set up this VPN on the Windows 10 laptop.  It will let me create it, but then it won't let me configure it.  It says "blocked" when I examine it via the Wireless network panel.  When I go in through Control Panel/Network Sharing Center/Change Adapters, I can see the VPN, but it indicates that it is "Unavailable - device missing."

I've struggled with this for 8 hours.  I saw posts about deleting the WAN miniports and rebooting.  I've done this with no effect.

I am now prepared to rollback to Windows 7 on the laptop and stay there as this is a mission critical application and cannot be offline much longer as I can't be tied to the desktop.

If you have any homeruns to offer, I am willing to try them.  Frustrated and about to throw Windows 10 in the can if I can't get this to work in the next 24 hours.

John

Saturday, October 31, 2015 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Apologize for the late reply.

So now you are running Windows 7?

There is some issue within Windows 10 VPNs, as there are new features adding in this part under Windows 10.

If the Windows 10 built-in VPN not work currently, please check t osee if we could use anything instead.

By the way, how did you setup the VPN under Windows 10?

The others shared that VPN working at their side:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569630/set-vpn-connection-windows.html

Please note: Since this website is not hosted by Microsoft, the information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Apologize for the late reply.

So now you are running Windows 7?

There is some issue within Windows 10 VPNs, as there are new features adding in this part under Windows 10.

If the Windows 10 built-in VPN not work currently, please check t osee if we could use anything instead.

By the way, how did you setup the VPN under Windows 10?

The others shared that VPN working at their side:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569630/set-vpn-connection-windows.html

Please note: Since this website is not hosted by Microsoft, the information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:58 AM
  • John,

Were you ever able to get a VPN connection with Windows 10 or did you go back to Windows 7? I am currently having the same problem.

Thanks

PJ

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:02 PM