none
Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade not coming instead Windows 10 Home Edition upgrade is coming RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've bought a Dell Inspiron 7359 2in1 PC which comes with Windows 10 Home Edition. But previously I bought a Windows 8 Pro for my old Laptop. As my Old laptop is dead now, I want to install Windows 8.1 Pro in my New Inspiron 7359 and Upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro. So I installed Windows 8.1 Pro and Activate it with my Windows 8 Key. But When I try to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro it automatically try to install Windows 10 Home Edition. No way to change it to Win 10 Pro. Expert, Please help me. As I don't want to miss the chance of free upgrade to Windows 10 pro. I've tried both secure uefi boot on/off. No luck.  

PC Configuration: Intel Core i7 6500U

RAM: DDR3 1600L

HDD: Samsung SSD 256GB

Display: FHD with touch.

GPU: Intel

Thanks a lot.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 7:30 AM

Answers

• Well I would appear the UEFI has the Home key so that is why you end up being offered Home.

Windows 10 Multiple Edition does not prompt which version to install

Above first Answer gives how to change the install media to install the required version.

Clean install of Windows 10 Pro results in Windows 10 Home

Another way to change the installed Windows for the above link if you went ahead and installed Windows 10 Home;

"Start button > left side, Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key........

First try the Windows 8 key see if that would upgrade it.

If not enter the generic Win 10 Pro product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    It will start switching your Home version to Pro version BUT it will NOT activate.

When it is done, use your Win 8 Pro product key to activate."

• Marked as answer by Ehsantheone Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:16 PM
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 2:42 PM

All replies

• Well I would appear the UEFI has the Home key so that is why you end up being offered Home.

Windows 10 Multiple Edition does not prompt which version to install

Above first Answer gives how to change the install media to install the required version.

Clean install of Windows 10 Pro results in Windows 10 Home

Another way to change the installed Windows for the above link if you went ahead and installed Windows 10 Home;

"Start button > left side, Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key........

First try the Windows 8 key see if that would upgrade it.

If not enter the generic Win 10 Pro product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    It will start switching your Home version to Pro version BUT it will NOT activate.

When it is done, use your Win 8 Pro product key to activate."

• Marked as answer by Ehsantheone Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:16 PM
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Thanks a lot. By Entering the Generic Windows 10 Pro key in Windows 10 Home change the Edition to Windows 10 Pro. As My Windows 10 Home was upgraded with November 2015 Upgrade before, So after that when I entered the Windows 8 Pro key it works. :-) :-) :-D
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:19 PM