none
Gigabyte motherboard users (incl. GA-MA790GP-DS4H) RRS feed

• General discussion

• "Cannot start Windows Virtual PC while another virtualization software is running."

Most of the people having issues with Windows 7 virtualization on the Release Candidate, I've noticed, are running their systems on a Gigabyte motherboard. If you're having issues with virtualization (namely, if it gives you the above error), update your BIOS to the latest version. I recommend visiting Gigabyte's website, downloading the BIOS from there, THEN using @BIOS to flash it to your motherboard. DO NOT use @BIOS's tool to download directly from Gigabyte's website - it won't always get the absolute latest stable release.

If you upgrade to the latest stable BIOS release, with most Gigabyte motherboards, that will solve your problem right away. So far, the only motherboard I've seen that DIDN'T get fixed with the latest stable release was the GA-MA790GP-DS4H.

IF YOU'RE USING GA-MA790GP-DS4H:

Your solution is in a BETA release. The F5 BIOS is incompatible with Windows 7 virtualization, but it would appear Gigabyte learned of this early, and are already working on correcting that issue. If you download the F6b and flash that to your motherboard, IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. Trust me - I'm a GA-MA790GP-DS4H user, and I am most definitely running XP Mode as I type this out. Be careful using a beta release, though - there MAY still be bugs that need worked out, and you COULD brick your system (which is terribly annoying to fix when it's a motherboard issue).

You can download the F6b BIOS directly from Gigabyte here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/800999/ma79gd4h.f6b

Solution found at the end of this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/a5ad0258-6c46-4ee3-89ff-3373d9a12030?ppud=4

If updating to the latest stable BIOS release didn't work for you and you're not using a GA-MA790GP-DS4H , likely, your solution is ALSO in a beta release for your BIOS. I can't list every BIOS beta release, though, so if this is the case for you, look on Gigabyte's website and hunt down a beta release for your motherboard. I'm sure you'll be able to find one somewhere. Again, be careful using a beta release, though - there MAY still be bugs that need worked out, and you COULD brick your system (which is terribly annoying to fix when it's a motherboard issue).

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

-tony
    • Edited by thetonestarr Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:21 PM editing in a little clarity
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:31 PM