none
Reinstalled XP RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled xp due to a serious virus infection. I then couldn't boot to W7. I downloaded easybcd and it now only boots into W7. ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHH help :) 
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:54 PM

Answers

• For future reference you should have run a repair of Windows 7 and repaired the boot information.
    I don't know if you can repair the damage you did with easybcd but otherwise run a repair of Windows XP and then repair Windows 7.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:57 PM

All replies

• Was your serious virus infection on Windows 7?  Were you using an antivirus software application?

Perhaps next time you should try using diskcopy (free software) to clone your drive to another drive or partition so that you can reinstall your last good image back to your PC if Windows 7 fails.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:00 PM
  • No the virus infction was on xp. I reinstalled xp and it re wrote the boot. Its sorted now. I wasn't doing it right in easy bcd :D
    Monday, February 2, 2009 11:09 AM
  • Hi

Do you have dual boot already or you still need help?

Monday, February 2, 2009 12:13 PM
  • For future reference you should have run a repair of Windows 7 and repaired the boot information.
    I don't know if you can repair the damage you did with easybcd but otherwise run a repair of Windows XP and then repair Windows 7.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Glad you resolved it.  
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Are you saying that easybcd or a second stage boot loader may damage the booting process in Windows 7?  If so, would like to know more.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:44 AM
  • No, but you must know how to use it right and use the correct version ofcourse.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:50 AM
  •  

How did you end up with the virus infection?  If XP had UAC similar to Vista/7, then you probably would not have to resort to drastic measures.

Nonetheless, you are straightened out and that is the important thing.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:18 AM