Vista Enterprise fails with "Unable to find the SMS Task Sequencer" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an odd one for you.

Description: One deployment point. 2 Task sequences.
    First task sequence is Vista Enterprise SP1 Custom image with Office 2007 in it. Deploys wonderfully.
    Second TS has Vista Enterprise SP1 Custom image office 2007 AND Creative Suite CS3.3. It fails with "Unable to find the SMS Task Sequencer. The deployment will not proceed." upon the final part of the installation where it
    would normally install applications and do a clean up. (I don't install any applications btw.)

They're both completely untouched standard task sequences, both from the same deployment point, both the same version of Vista and from the same media yet one fails and the other doesn't.

Last lines of "Smsts.log"
    <![LOG[Sending status message . . .]LOG]!><time="12:31:16.897+000" date="09-23-2008" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1824" file="utility.cxx:291">
    <![LOG[Executing in non SMS standalone mode. Ignoring send a task execution status message request]LOG]!><time="12:31:16.897+000" date="09-23-2008" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1824" file="utility.cxx:301">
    <![LOG[Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=0]LOG]!><time="12:31:16.897+000" date="09-23-2008" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1824" file="executionenv.cxx:668">
    <![LOG[Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=true]LOG]!><time="12:31:16.897+000" date="09-23-2008" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1824" file="executionenv.cxx:668">
    <![LOG[Expand a string: %_SMSTSMDataPath%\Logs]LOG]!><time="12:31:16.897+000" date="09-23-2008" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1824" file="executionenv.cxx:782">

Last lines of "BDD.log"
    <![LOG[Property Architecture is now = x86]LOG]!><time="12:42:35.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[FindFile: The file TsmBootstrap.exe could not be found in any standard locations.]LOG]!><time="12:42:36.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LiteTouch, rc = 1]LOG]!><time="13:17:58.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Last lines of "LiteTouch.log"
    <![LOG[Property _SMSTSPackageName is now = Lite Touch Installation]LOG]!><time="12:42:34.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[Property DeploySystemDrive is now = C:]LOG]!><time="12:42:35.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[Property Architecture is now = x86]LOG]!><time="12:42:35.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[FindFile: The file TsmBootstrap.exe could not be found in any standard locations.]LOG]!><time="12:42:36.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LiteTouch, rc = 1]LOG]!><time="13:17:58.000+000" date="09-23-2008" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Pasted from CustomSettings.ini

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y

UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=***
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=***
    DomainAdmin=***
    DomainAdminDomain=***
    DomainAdminPassword=***
    MachineObjectOU=OU=***,DC=***,DC=dk
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipComputerName=NO
    SkipPackageDisplay=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=0406:00000406
    CountryCode=045
    SkipTimeZone=Yes
    TimeZone=105
    TimeZoneName=Romance Standard Time
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipBitLocker=Yes
    SkipSummary=Yes
    UserLocale=da-dk
    UILanguage=da-dk
    SkipFinalSummary=Yes
    _SMSTSOrgName=***

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Johnsen

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:27 AM

Answers

• Well I was able to move past this problem by deploying the faulty image again, letting it throw the exception, manually cleaning up the leftovers from the process and finally recapturing the installation again.

Don't know what made it work.

- Johnsen
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:38 PM
  • I had this issue too and found a solution....

I use two images, a Reference Build (or image) which is then captured and used as our Deployment Build.

When I built my Reference Image the deployment wasn't completing succussfully - minor issue i.e. software app not installing correctly -  as the issue was minor I carried on and completed the reference build and then captured the image ready for deployment.

Because the deployment wasnt successful the Reference Build left behind the C:\MININT directory (which is moved to %windir%\temp\DeploymentLogs when the deployment is successful and you click "Finish" on the deployment final summary screen) therefore the Deployment Build had left over junk (see here for more info) and was bound to fail....

The quickest solution to my problem was to mount the WIM (I use Gimagex, a great tool which can be obtained here - thanks to Johnathan Bennett) and delete the C:\MININT directory.  After commiting the changes in GimageX I then had to update my deployment points with this new cleaned up image and my Deployment Build has been fine ever since....

Hope this helps someone else out there who is experiencing this issue as the original poster seems to have sorted their problem out anyway....

BW

Carl

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Johnsen   ,

Please make sure not to use the answer file to partition disk 0. We need to let BDD/MDT use the default ZTIdiskpart.txt file.

For more information about this error, please refer to the following threads:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3492607&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=900600&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1232566&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1220383&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:20 AM
  • Hi Tim, thanks for taking the time.

I've read about the partitioning issue, but shouldn't I have actively done something to cause that error? If I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, if everything is on "default", could the above partitioning issue occur?
    If so, is there some way to easily check if anything is out of the ordinary?

Both Standard Task sequences are untouched, I captured both Vista installations in the exact same way, they both respond to the same CustomSettings.ini and the same BootStrap.ini so it boggles my mind what a possible configuration difference can be?

- Johnsen

EDIT:

Thinking something could be wrong on the Master test workstation I'm using, I just deployed it to a new Vmware ESX machine and I get the same error.
    Could this be network related? It may be trying to reach the the deployment server just before running cleanup.

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:52 PM
  • Well I was able to move past this problem by deploying the faulty image again, letting it throw the exception, manually cleaning up the leftovers from the process and finally recapturing the installation again.

Don't know what made it work.

- Johnsen
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:38 PM
  • I had this issue too and found a solution....

I use two images, a Reference Build (or image) which is then captured and used as our Deployment Build.

When I built my Reference Image the deployment wasn't completing succussfully - minor issue i.e. software app not installing correctly -  as the issue was minor I carried on and completed the reference build and then captured the image ready for deployment.

Because the deployment wasnt successful the Reference Build left behind the C:\MININT directory (which is moved to %windir%\temp\DeploymentLogs when the deployment is successful and you click "Finish" on the deployment final summary screen) therefore the Deployment Build had left over junk (see here for more info) and was bound to fail....

The quickest solution to my problem was to mount the WIM (I use Gimagex, a great tool which can be obtained here - thanks to Johnathan Bennett) and delete the C:\MININT directory.  After commiting the changes in GimageX I then had to update my deployment points with this new cleaned up image and my Deployment Build has been fine ever since....

Hope this helps someone else out there who is experiencing this issue as the original poster seems to have sorted their problem out anyway....

BW

Carl

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:52 AM
  •  

Hi Carl,

Wonderful post, I'm sure that was the original problem for me as well.

Thanks,

Johnsen

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:56 AM