none
access the internet from a guest account

Question

• this is a bad ms joke, ok? for the first time a decide 2 activ8 a guest account. in my account i click on the icon which asks me which internet connection i want dialup or mobile broadband and i connect no worries. but in the guest accont there is no such icon and when i switch to the guest account even though i am connected the connection drops out and there is no apparent way to connect. i am clearly the first person ever 2 have this problem as searching help and forums gives me nothing. so how come? please help!!!!!!!!!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:45 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the tutorial. I did that and got a message in the little black window to say it worked. I finally realized I did not understand the difference between the built-in guest account and the concept of opening a new standard account for a guest and styling it "visitor " or "john smith" or whatever. So I did that and of course it worked and I was able to connect to the internet. Then I was able to delete the "visitor " account. I had been trying to delete the inbuilt guest account and couldn't understand why I couldn't! I didn't quite understand it was not an account I had created and was part of the system.
    So I hope I haven't done any damage to the system using the command prompt for no good reason. Thanks for your patience. Seasons Greetings!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:31 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• For more information on why Guest account doesn’t have privileges to access internet and the reason why you get “Access Denied” is posted in the link below.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistanetworking/thread/b27a0933-ced2-4b0f-b58a-b8c561e50774

As suggested in the link you can create another account as a Standard User.

For more information on standard user check the reference articles in the below links

“What is a standard user account?”
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-a-standard-user-account

“Why use a standard user account instead of an administrator account?”
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Why-use-a-standard-user-account-instead-of-an-administrator-account

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:26 AM
  • My guest account has full internet access and I did not have to configure anything. You are right, the guest account should definitely have internet access. In your situation you may want to temporarily elevate the guest account to adminitrator level account from the msc console for you to make any configurations necessary and then reduce it back to default level.
    Seasons greetings!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:59 AM
  • none of these answers are making any sense. i am not getting an access denied notice. more suggestions please. i am running win7rc1
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:18 AM
  • in the answers forum it suggests i disable the guest account. well if only! like a bad smell i can't make it go away. how can i get rid of it and start fresh?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:22 AM
  • well it seems like a great idea but unfortunately i don't c any way to do it. would u pls b kind enough 2 give me specific advice on how 2 do this?!
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Open control panel. Open User accounts. Select "Manage another account". Select 'Guest'. Select "Turn off".

Seasons greetings!
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:19 AM
  • uh yeh i have done that's a no brainer. but the guest account icon which was not there b4 still hangs about like a bad smell! and merry xmas 2 u 2!!!!!
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:53 AM
  • You got problems because that should have eliminated guest from the log on screen. Tip: you should be an administrator to manage accounts.

Try this command and see if any difference:

net user guest /ACTIVE:no
    Seasons greetings!
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:15 AM
  • sorry 2 b such a computer dummy but is this an entry i make in the command prompt window? or what? i have not done this b4
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:46 AM
  • My fault, open the start menu, select all programs, select accesories, right click on command prompt, select run as administrator, copy that command and past it to command window and press enter.
    Seasons greetings!
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the tutorial. I did that and got a message in the little black window to say it worked. I finally realized I did not understand the difference between the built-in guest account and the concept of opening a new standard account for a guest and styling it "visitor " or "john smith" or whatever. So I did that and of course it worked and I was able to connect to the internet. Then I was able to delete the "visitor " account. I had been trying to delete the inbuilt guest account and couldn't understand why I couldn't! I didn't quite understand it was not an account I had created and was part of the system.
    So I hope I haven't done any damage to the system using the command prompt for no good reason. Thanks for your patience. Seasons Greetings!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:31 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Even though I did not fully understand everything in this link I did create another account as a Standard User and was able to connect to the internet from the new account. So my problem is solved. Thank you very much for your help!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:56 PM