none
Can't install Win 7 .........Set up cannot copy installation files

Question

• I am mounting the image and then starting the setup...but it shows me the error message "Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary files.To install Windows,make sure that a partition on your boot disk has 685 MB of free space."

I am having 21 GB of free space in drive C:.And other partitions also have sufficient space.

What should I do now ?
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:22 AM

Answers

• shyam4uall,

Unfortunately, we do not supporting the installation of Windows 7 from virtual drives. Moreover, Daemon Tools is known to be incompatible with Windows 7. I'd highly recommend burning the image to DVD.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:19 AM

All replies

• I am mounting the image and then starting the setup...but it shows me the error message "Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary files.To install Windows,make sure that a partition on your boot disk has 685 MB of free space."

I am having 21 GB of free space in drive C:.And other partitions also have sufficient space.

What should I do now ?
    Hi

We need more details about how you are attempting to install Windows 7.
    What do you mean by "I am mounting the image"?

Are you trying to install in a virtual environment?

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:01 AM
  • You should run setup by booting up from a BURNED image on DVD at , and not mount the image into a virtual drive.... Note: You should install Win 7 onto an empty partition or disk.
    System: E-Max Intel 945GC-M2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9300 512Mb, LG BD Burner, 2x 500Gb HD, Sony Bravia, Windows 7 x86 and x64.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I mounted the ISO image on drive X: using deamon tool.After clicking Install Windows 7 the screen shows copying files....and then the error message pops up.

"Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary files.To install Windows,make sure that a partition on your boot disk has 685 MB of free space."

I have XP in drive C: and there is 21 GB of free space.I am trying to install Win 7 on drive F: which has 58GB of free space.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:30 PM
  • You should run setup by booting up from a BURNED image on DVD at , and not mount the image into a virtual drive.... Note: You should install Win 7 onto an empty partition or disk.
    System: E-Max Intel 945GC-M2, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9300 512Mb, LG BD Burner, 2x 500Gb HD, Sony Bravia, Windows 7 x86 and x64.

Yeah I know the correct way to install is to burn the ISO to DVD and boot from that but I have seen many users who have just mounted the ISO on a virtual drive and successfully installed Win 7.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Help me guys....
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:51 AM
  • shyam4uall,

Unfortunately, we do not supporting the installation of Windows 7 from virtual drives. Moreover, Daemon Tools is known to be incompatible with Windows 7. I'd highly recommend burning the image to DVD.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Hi, I am having same problem with the released dvd upgrade from vista to win 7 home premium.  I don't know what is a boot partition or error 0x80070490. Please advise.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Same issue, from the shrink-wrapped install CD from Office Depot.
    Gives error code 0x80070490
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Yup, I'm getting the same error message too. I'm using the Windows 7 disc I got in the mail, the free upgrade from Vista.
    • Proposed as answer by Wabbit8084 Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wabbit8084 Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:58 AM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Make sure your other disk partitions are formatted for use. I believe the install needs to store temporary files on a different partition, and my other partitions were not formatted. I quick formatted one from the right click menu and issue went away. Hope this helps you folks

• Proposed as answer by Wabbit8084 Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:59 AM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:59 AM