none
Is it possible to disable modern standby behaviour when screen turns off? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360, and it seems it supports Modern Standby. This i great for battery life, and Dell have done a great job at getting high battery life from this machine.

The problem is, this isn't a tablet, and Modern Standby frustrates the hell out of me. If I am listening to music through desktop apps like Spotify, or Chrome, as soon as the screen turns off the machine seems to enter Modern Standby and then the music/audio playback stops (I think the desktop app gets suspended).

Chrome and Spotify as examples don't have store versions for me to use with compatibility for this, so the only two workarounds are;

• Set my screen to never turn off on battery (Idiotic, as it is going to hammer my battery life)
    • Disable modern standby, and rely on old sleep states like sleep and hibernate (normal sleep means the screen can turn off independently of enter sleep)

I have tried disabling modern standby, but then I get tonnes of other issues, like DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION yellow screens of death, wireless being unavailable after a resume from sleep, and the adapter needing a disable and re-enable.

I am guessing this is due to the drivers in use for each device, not really expecting it to enter normal sleep states, and trying to resume in a really weird way (a way that is designed to work with modern standby).

Is it possible to keep modern standby enabled, but change the behaviour of the screen turning off causing a move to this sleep state? As stated above, this behaviour might be fine for a tablet, but I don't feel it is for a laptop!

Cheers

Eds

• Edited by Eds1989 Sunday, May 28, 2017 10:53 PM
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Eds1989,

No, it is not available to switch between S3 and Modern Standby by changing a setting in the BIOS. switching the power model is not supported in Windows without a complete OS re-install.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Modern Standby FAQs
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-faqs

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 29, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Ok, so my question is, even if I did reinstall Windows, how would I go about disabling Modern Standby?

Monday, May 29, 2017 8:53 AM
  •  how would I go about disabling Modern Standby?

FWIW what I do to disable Screen saver which may cause a similar symptom is use Presenting mode.  I set it via Mobility Center (Win-X b) but there is also a stand alone dialog which can be opened via  PresentationSettings.exe

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:58 AM
  • It's just frustrating that this feature that is intended to save battery life, results in me messing around with power settings which reduce battery life just so I can listen to music!

I would love a solution that allows me to keep using connected standby, but not have desktop apps suspended when the display goes off. I don't mind about when the machine fully goes to sleep, but for apps to be suspended when the screen goes off? that is the stupid part.

Sunday, June 4, 2017 9:36 AM
  • I am the author of a backup application, which obviously needs some time to do a backup. On a pc using instant go/connected standby (a hp-ix I was able to borrow ) it never succeeds, because my background application (or service, anyway, "desktop" model) never has enough time to do it - it always stops after 5 minutes. I tried PowerRequests of all kinds and nothing worked. I also tried following the description in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23398950/any-api-to-prevent-windows-8-from-going-into-connected-standby-mode, but no luck - obviously the internals changed.  However, the plain old Windows Home Server 2011 client backup works. There must be a "secret" API to do that - or shall I assume Microsoft special cased their own software?

Microsoft, please document, how a desktop application can continue to run after 5 mins in background. I cannot recommend any system with Instant Go/Connected Standby to anyone as long as network backups don´t work.

Thanks, Joachim

Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Hi Eds1989,

Please try the following registry key to disable the Modern Standby feature.
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ZackInMass Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:48 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Joachim,

I feel your frustration.

I have also taken delivery of a new 2-in1 for one of our staff at work that we are setting up for them, and with the default power settings, I can initiate a download of Windows updates, and as soon as the screen turns off......you guessed it, they get stuck at whatever percentage they are on until you wake the screen.

That is absurd!

I also cannot recommended a laptop form factor machine or 2-in1 that has this mode supported and enabled.

Eds

Monday, June 5, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Hi Eds1989,

Please try the following registry key to disable the Modern Standby feature.
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Best regards

Thanks,

Did try this, but the problem is, Dell drivers are design to work on this machine with modern standby enabled.

As soon as I turn it off, I start getting bluescreens, wifi adapter not functioning after wake from sleep/hibernate, various other weird behaviours.

So my options are, allow playback with screen off but suffer nasty issues on waking from sleep, or keep system stability for poor integration with existing desktop apps.

Why is it, that modern standby can't just say: "If this app is preventing sleep, allow the screen to turn off without entering modern standby". Seems like a no brainer to me.

Eds

• Edited by Eds1989 Monday, June 5, 2017 7:46 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 7:45 PM
  • Hi Eds1989,

" Dell drivers are design to work on this machine with modern standby enabled."
    You could try to ask for help from the Dell support. They are more familiar with their product and they may have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Hi Eds1989,

" Dell drivers are design to work on this machine with modern standby enabled."
    You could try to ask for help from the Dell support. They are more familiar with their product and they may have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Tried that, unfortunately they said it is a Windows problem, and not something they would support :'(
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Sorry, this is for sure the wrong route. If Microsoft comes up with new mechanisms (which is good in principle), then there should be sufficient documentation published by Microsoft to adapt 3rd party software. And not push somewhere else.
    Via trial and error I figured out it has to do with whether tasks are considered maintenance tasks or not, but the exact rules are not documented (and also might not make sense in all scenarios).

Lack of documentation ultimately creates lock-in to Microsoft solutions and the answer of the market is Open Source..

Best Regards

Joachim

• Proposed as answer by isaac_s Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:45 PM
    Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:32 AM
  • So I've read in that FAQ that a full reinstall of the OS is needed to switch form Modern standby to S3 standby. How? I have never seen such an option when installing windows 10. Have I missed it? It is one of those customize options?

I have a Dell XPS 13 2in1 9365 and modern stand by drives me nuts. I love the laptop, nice form factor, good feature set, great pen, but i'm to much of a traditional laptop user that I can't function properly in a work environment with my computer not sleeping properly.

When I disable connected standby, by way of the registry, it doesn't wake up from sleep properly, and if I can get it to, devices don't function right, like the trackpad and such.

Friday, October 27, 2017 10:13 PM
  • I also just got an XPS 13 9365 and have stumbled into this new world of "modern" or "connected" standby mode. Two downsides I have noticed: (1) my computer's battery will be totally dead in a couple days if it is not used, and (2) my headset remains connected to bluetooth in standby.

I can solve #1 by enabling hibernation, but for #2 I would prefer bluetooth to be turned off, so that I can connect my headphones to my smartphone instead. 

The solution to this would be if I could revert back to traditional sleep mode. Alas, it looks like this is not possible because of the dell driver issued mentioned. So my work around is to turn the computer off when lid is closed.

Really, it feels like technology is taking a step back here.

• Edited by Mike Rost Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:20 AM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:19 AM
  • After a lot of attempts i found how to disable this terrible option.

All my background applications and services go into stop and they can't turn on the screen at the variable correct hour

Go into windows's registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep

you'll find a Key 'EnableAction', Delete it and all other keys

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:12 AM
  • After a lot of attempts i found how to disable this terrible option.

All my background applications and services goes into stop and they can't turn on the screen at the variable correct hour

Go into windows's registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep

you'll find a Key 'EnableAction', Delete it and all other keys

Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:04 AM