none
Timer job keeps disapearing for particular web application RRS feed

• Question

• Timer job keeps disappearing for particular web application. But we enabled that with script with force 

below VirtomasterJObSettingID  is displaying again. and it stays for 2 days and again disappearing. 

ie..

Timer Job(VirtoMasterJobSettingsId) is getting unassigned from one of the web application  so frequently. I run the PS script(WITH FORCE) to make it assigned back.
    However need to check why it is getting unassigned. 

Please help.

kumar

• Edited by sns t Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:32 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 5:12 AM

All replies

• Since this is a custom solution it's hard for us to guess what causing your issue, I would say create a Microsoft Support ticket and work with them to resolve your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:45 AM
  • Hi kumar,

Here is an article on custom timer job creation for your reference:

SharePoint 2016: Steps to create custom timer job using Visual Studio 2015.

Since this is an issue related to custom solutions, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist you in a more efficient manner. Please be advised that you might be charged for phone support service.  Please go to the website (https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers) to find related number and call it to create a new Phone Service Request to Microsoft Phone Support team.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, July 13, 2020 6:28 AM
  • HI Chelsea Wu,

Thank you for the response. I understood that we should raise a ticket with CSS.

but we are planning to work with Virto support itself soon. Before that i would like to troubleshoot furtherfrom SharePoint end. We need your inputs. Please help.

we use Virto Workflow schduler in our organization to trigger the workflow.

ex: we have set up workflow which triggers mail daily to outlook in box daily at particular time. This is done by Sharepoint desinger workflow triggered by Virto schduler workflow which is set up by activating the Virto workflow schduler feature at the site collection level. 

so when above "VirtomasterJObSettingID " this timer job is linked with SPS16 Webapplication, worklfow triggers and as expected mail receives.  This is same JOB is fine with other webapplications. 

so i have tested couple of new site collections under SPS16 webapplication, when we activate the feature timer job appearing again.

so i would like to capture the ULS verbose logs when timer job broken for that WA/mail stop received.

so which "category" I should choose from diagnostic logging, is it "workflow services" under SharePoint server category? if yes can you share me the powershell command to in to verbose for workflowservices? 

is there any way to collection or to find out exact time when Job is broken or mail is broken? so that i will capture the logs accordingly. 

Thank you

kumar

• Edited by sns t Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:14 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:13 AM
  • Hi kumar,

I suggest you use ULS viewer instead of PowerShell cmdlets for a simplified and more clear view of diagnostic logs. Also, the diagnostic logs roll real-time, so we can only see the related logs after running the PowerShell cmdlet.

Another method would be to view and export diagnostic logs by executing “Get-SPLogEvent | Out-GridView” in PowerShell. The cmdlet provides a filterable, searchable data grid in a separate window and allows you to export raw or sorted or filtered data to a spreadsheet.

To capture the logs accordingly, it is recommended to reproduce this issue in the environment and spot the logs in real-time.

Here is your reference:

View diagnostic logs in SharePoint Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/view-diagnostic-logs

---

This “SharePoint Server 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:29 AM
  • HI Chelsea Wu,

Thank you for the response.

I  have  already had a ULS viewer in my environment.

Can you guide me for this workflow issue, which category I should choose in the diagnostic logging for the workflows?.

and I want to know how doe we use Merge-SPlogfile  command to capture from point of time when timer job broken with webapplication?

at least i want to enable verbose for that category, so that i can capture it. please share me exact Power shell command

kumar

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:42 AM
  • Hi kumar,

There is no specific category for “Workflows”. I don’t think it is necessary to select a specific category for “Event Throttling” since the diagnostic logging is enabled for all categories by default. Also, the issue on the workflows might be caused by multiple services.

The command to merge the log data for events in a particular time range is:

Merge-SPLogFile -Path "C:\Logs\FarmMergedLog.log" -Overwrite -StartTime "06/09/2008 16:00" -EndTime "06/09/2008 16:15"

---

This “SharePoint Server 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:15 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

Can i use commands mentioned in below blog for above issue?. Thank you

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint/troubleshoot/workflows/workflow-timer-job-is-stuck-at-pausing

kumar

• Edited by sns t Friday, July 17, 2020 5:12 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 4:58 AM
  • Hi kumar,

If you are in similar situation then yes, you can use the mentioned steps/commands to troubleshoot this issue.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Friday, July 17, 2020 6:04 AM
  • HI Chelsea Wu,

I am observing since last 3 days that timer job "VirtomasterJObSettingID " is connected with SP16 Webapplication. No issues. mails are triggering to out look. 

but above timer job may broke (disconnect with SPS16 WA) at any point of time in next 3 to 4 days.

so now  I enabled verbose logs for the workflows using below only below two commands. 

• Set-SPLOGLEVEL -Identity "SharePoint Server:Workflow Services" -TraceSeverity Verbose
    • Set-SPLogLevel -TraceSeverity VerboseEx -Identity "Legacy Workflow Infrastructure" 

so now I want to store in separate place  logs generated by above commands. is it possible? Please help on how to get that? please share me the command. Thank you. 

kumar

• Edited by sns t Saturday, July 18, 2020 12:31 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2020 12:31 PM
  • Hi kumar,

I’m afraid it is not supported to store the logs in separate locations using the command Set-SPLogLevel, since there is no parameters for path or save location attached to this cmdlet.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 20, 2020 7:53 AM
  • HI Chelsea Wu,

Yes. since there is no parameters given in the above commands it will not store the logs in separate location for the workflow services.

But I want to store it in separate place, so how to give parameter in the above commands to save in separate path, can you please amend the above commands and share it to me? Thank you for your support.

kumar

Monday, July 20, 2020 8:46 AM
  • Hi kumar,

The cmdlet “Set-SPLogLevel” itself doesn’t provide the parameter related to path/file location (please see the document here). We cannot just give the parameter to the cmdlet, it will only return error if we try to contain a parameter which is not supported by the cmdlet.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 20, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

Noticed that "VirtoMasterJobSettingsID" timer job disconnected between below period

July 24 2.54 am  to July26 2.12 AM  (CST) 

based on above verbose logs command, I tried to capture the verbose logs during this period. below are the logs

ULS LOGS:

Legacy workflow is disabled = [False]. Enabled

at tenant level = [True]. Enabled

at web app level = [True]. StackTrace: 

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.IsLegacyWorkflowDisabled(SPSite site)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOpts)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflow(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, String eventData, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions)   

at Virto.Sharepoint.Activities.StartAnotherWorkflow.StartWorkflow()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   

at Virto.Sharepoint.Activities.StartAnotherWorkflow.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)   

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowExecutor.RunScheduler()   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowExecutor.RunSome(Object ignored)   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.DefaultWorkflowSchedulerService.WorkItem.Invoke(WorkflowSchedulerService service)   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.ManualWorkflowSchedulerService.RunOne(Guid workflowInstanceId)   

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.ManualWorkflowSchedulerService.RunWorkflow(Guid workflowInstanceId)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.Send(SPWorkflow workflow, SPWinOeWorkflow winoeworkflow, SPWorkflowEvent e)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPWorkflowRunOptionsInternal runOptions)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.StartWorkflowElev(Object context, SPWorkflowAssociation association, DateTime elevationTimeUtc, SPWorkflowEvent startEvent, SPWorkflowRunOptions runOptions)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowAutostartEventReceiver.<>c__DisplayClass1.<AutoStartWorkflow>b__0(SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass18.<RunWithSystemSiteAndWeb>b__17()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowAutostartEventReceiver.AutoStartWorkflow(SPItemEventProperties properties, Boolean bCreate, Boolean bChange, AssocType atyp)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowAutostartEventReceiver.ItemAdded(SPItemEventProperties properties)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.RunItemEventReceiver(SPItemEventReceiver receiver, SPUserCodeInfo userCodeInfo, SPItemEventProperties properties, SPEventContext context, String receiverData)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.RunItemEventReceiverHelper(Object receiver, SPUserCodeInfo userCodeInfo, Object properties, SPEventContext context, String receiverData)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<InvokeEventReceiver>b__7()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunAsUser(SPUserToken userToken, Boolean bResetContext, WaitCallback code, Object param)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.InvokeEventReceiver[ReceiverType](SPUserToken userToken, Guid tranLockerId, RunEventReceiver runEventReceiver, Object receivers, Int32 n, Object properties, SPEventReceiverOperationsType operationsType, Boolean& canceled, String& error)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.InvokeEventReceivers[ReceiverType](SPRemoteEventReceiverCallType remoteCallType, SPUserToken userToken, Guid tranLockerId, RunEventReceiver runEventReceiver, RunRemoteEventReceiver runRemoteEventReceiver, Object receivers, Object properties, Boolean checkCancel, SPEventReceiverOperationsType operationsType)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.InvokeEventReceivers[ReceiverType](SPRemoteEventReceiverCallType remoteCallType, Byte[] userTokenBytes, Guid tranLockerId, RunEventReceiver runEventReceiver, RunRemoteEventReceiver runRemoteEventReceiver, Object receivers, Object properties, Boolean checkCancel, SPEventReceiverOperationsType operationsType)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEventManager.HandleEventCallback[ReceiverType,PropertiesType](Object callbackData)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPThreadPool.WaitCallbackWrapper(Object state)   

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)   

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)   

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()   

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch() 

another one below based on event id:

any idea on what is causing the timer job disconnected to particular web app based on above logs? please help

kumar

Sunday, July 26, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Hi kumar,

There is no exception or error message in the logs you provide for us to investigate.

If you need further assistance on this issue or need help with monitoring the workflows, I sincerely recommended that you open a ticket with Microsoft so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist you in a more efficient manner.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 27, 2020 1:30 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

How to look for exception message specifically? can you please guide. if it does not work then we have plan to work with Virto support.

Thank you.

kumar

Monday, July 27, 2020 4:59 AM
  • Hi kumar,

You can refer to the links below for guidance:

4 Steps to Get the Real Error Message from SharePoint 2013 Log Files.

How to Use ULS Log Viewer to Analyse SharePoint Errors?

If the workflow is indeed causing problems in your environment, you will see the error in no time. But if the workflow is working properly, then you will not see any errors in the logs.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 27, 2020 5:36 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

I know how to see logs with corrleation id. But i am not sure how to see logs with no correlation id 

above articles are with correlation id.

however I kept verbose logs in some place during  the timer period when timer job broken with web application

in that how to look for exception? Please help. 

kumar

• Edited by sns t Monday, July 27, 2020 6:04 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2020 6:03 AM
  • Hi kumar,

Search for keywords like “exception”, “error” or “fail” in the logs.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 27, 2020 6:11 AM
  • Hi Chelsea Wu,

Based on exception i found below message:

Legacy Workflow Infrastructure        72fv        Unexpected        AutoStart Workflow: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Recursive workflows are not permitted.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowAutostartEventReceiver.<>c__DisplayClass1.<AutoStartWorkflow>b__0(SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb)        1f18699f-fdfa-e08e-dc40-580deea07867

07/24/2020 00:39:28.56*        w3wp.exe (0x279C)                               0x2F2C        SharePoint Foundation                Legacy Workflow Infrastructure        aue9t        Verbose         ...letedSynchronously)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb)    at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)     at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)     at System.Web.Hosting.Unsafe...        2318699f-2d89-e08e-dc40-502336f65c0d

Based on Virto:

--------------------

07/25/2020 17:02:22.75 w3wp.exe (0x1A84)                       0x28D4 Unknown                            Virto.Licesing                     1                Monitorable       VLM monitoring: Uses lic file Enterprise.lic           c7a2699f-9d43-e08e-dc40-570e1d43ed6d

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.Update()     at Virto.SharePoint.AlertWebPart.Services.AlertWebPartDataService..()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)     at Virto.SharePoint.AlertWebPart.Services.AlertWebPartDataService.SaveAlert(AlertItemDataContract alertItem)     at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Si...               97a2699f-8dbb-e08e-dc40-5abc8c581603

with error:

Legacy Workflow Infrastructure                88xr       Unexpected       WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow Id# 2040c1a9-7bc9-415e-b206-9f26e4080086   2b18699f-cd65-e08e-dc40-5b18a9a3d3f5

Please help me with your inputs, is it above any one causing to brake timer job with web application?

kumar

• Edited by sns t Monday, July 27, 2020 7:36 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2020 7:14 AM
  • Hi kumar,

Not sure about the timer job, but the exception “Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Recursive workflows are not permitted” is caused when the workflow is designed with loopholes. I suggest you redesign the workflow and rule out the logic issue before looking into other issues.

---

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 27, 2020 7:47 AM
  • Hi Chelsea wu,

I just want to double check..

Below command will capture logs from all 4 serves in a Farm, am i correct? (our farm is having 2 app and 2 WFE) 

Merge-SPLogFile -Path "E:\Backup\FarmMergedLog.log" -Overwrite -StartTime "07/24/2020 02:54" -EndTime "07/26/2020 02:12" 

kumar

Friday, July 31, 2020 6:16 AM
  • Hi kumar,

Yes, the “Merge-SPLogFile” cmdlet returns records from ULS trace log files on each farm server that match the criteria, then combines trace log entries from all farm computers into a single log file.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Friday, July 31, 2020 6:19 AM