none
Windows 7 Backup Fails With Error 0x81000037

Question

• Hi,

Trying Windows 7 backup  to a network drive several times, the backup seems to work OK until it gets to creating a system image and then it hangs and fails. This is the error in the Event Viewer:

"Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037)."

According to the Event Viewer the SidebySide application threw two errors during the backup. The first one says:
    "Activation context generation failed for "c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-m..corruptedfilerepair_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.1 6385_none_5cd4e58f34e57306\MsiCofire.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-m..corruptedfilerepair_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.1 6385_none_5cd4e58f34e57306\MsiCofire.dll" on line 2. Invalid Xml syntax."

The details on this error point to this file:
    c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-m..corruptedfilerepair_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.1 6385_none_5cd4e58f34e57306\MsiCofire.dll

The second SidebySide error is this:
    "Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll".
    Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll" on line 2. Invalid Xml syntax."

The details on this error point to the file:
    c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you refer to the following link to troubleshoot this Windows Backup fails with error 0x81000037 issue.

How to troubleshoot Windows Backup and Restore issues when a reparse point folder or its subfolder is added to a user library in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Thanks for your input, but the instructions in the support link were so opaque as to be useless to me.  Ultimately I reinstalled Vista.  At least I know the backup utility in that OS works.
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I'm having this same problem with Windows 7. I checked the kb article linked above. I have not added any reparse points to any user libraries, yet I am getting this error. This started happening recently on two different machines, both with Win7 with all updates. The error goes away if I disable my antivirus (eset NOD32 on one machine, MSE on the other) but this is not an acceptable solution. Note that neither antivirus reports any malware in the directories being backed up. I suspect this problem is due to some recent update to Windows 7.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Why don't you provide information that is helpful.  This article is so vague that it is useless.

A well written article might include:

- how to determine which Restore Point is causing the issue

- What steps to take to locate the provlem Restore Point

- Exact steps to delete the Restore Point

A well written utility might provide this informtion within its error logs. 

I find it frustrating that I pay for TechNet subscription and this is the kind of information MSFT provides.

As moderator of this forum, surely you can do better!!!

Robert Stroud

Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:32 PM